Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Increase Points Going Into 6th Year

Options
  • 27-08-2015 2:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Hi I'm going into 6th year next week and was wondering is there anything I can do to get higher points.
    My results for the 5th year summer tests were quite good and managed 425 points but I want to study commerce next year in DCU or UCC, where the points both jumped up to around 455-475 this year and look like they'll get higher again next year.

In my summer exams I got:
    Irish(OL): B2
    English(HL): C2
    Maths(OL): B3(Subject I didn't count)
    Accounting(HL): B1
    Business(HL): B3
    Spanish(HL): B2
    Home Ec(HL): B2
    While I think I could get a few grades up, I'm scared I won't be able to get the points required. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I think that one of the most important things you can do in 6th year is learn the exam, rather than the textbook. For each of your subjects you should be focusing on doing exam papers and comparing your answers with the marking schemes. This is the most efficient way to learn exactly what the examiner is looking for. Textbooks often contain a lot of superfluous information, and while they are useful for understanding a topic initially, once you have a grasp on it you should be focusing mostly on the notes you made yourself (or your teacher gave you) and the exam papers. In a book there may be many paragraphs about a topic and if you spew out all that information in an exam you may get the marks but if you check the marking scheme you usually only need a key sentence, or sometimes even just a word. So someone who wrote two lines containing the key word/phrase will get the same marks as someone who wrote two pages containing the key word/phrase. But the student who wrote the two lines is obviously in a better position as they have much more time to spend on other questions in the exam and going over their answers etc. And of course, if you're missing that key word/phrase from the marking scheme, it doesn't matter how many pages you wrote - you'll get little or no marks.

So basically, you need to focus on exam technique. When I did my Leaving Cert I spent a lot of time researching and learning off what the examiners wanted. The same questions come up again and again in every subject, which is why going over and over exam papers and marking schemes is so useful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remember that what can be asked in the exam is the syllabus, not the textbook.

Advertisement