Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ag. Science *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Laura788 wrote: »
    for the plant section i was just wondering if you have to talk about photosynthesis? and should you follow the chapters in the book like plant minerals and plant transport etc or do you just talk about plants you found on your farm??

Is this for plant identification??

With plant identification you have to name the plants and give the families they come from.

If it's the experiment section, well it's just the experiment write up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

ya what spurious said above.

You can do it two ways: large plan showing the farm buildings and land, or two drawings: first drawing showing all the land and a smaller version showing the farm buildings on it and then a second drawing showing the detail of the farm buildings/farm yard layout. I ask my students to attach a sheet or two to the back of their plan listing off the buildings and anything else of importance on the plan and explain what they are.

E.g. Slatted shed: Winter housing for cattle, cattle are grouped by size and kept in pens, they have access to silage/ hay at the feed barrier and fresh water. The slats in the floor allow dung and urine to be collected in a tank underneath the shed etc, etc. While the farmers in my classes would be able to explain all of this off the top of their heads, the non-farmers may not to be and it helps them to focus on what they should be asking when they visit their adopted farm

Thank for your help. Whenever you get the the time could you share an insight to my qs about the rapid revision.
    Thanks

I just had a qs I forgot to post. In relation to studying the ag course would the rapid revision be sufficient ?. If i studied the whole book.
    For ag science I have both rapid revision and the new revise wise.
    But I already made a start on the rapid revisiok and finished the animal production chapter. Only after noticing the comments left online about the book missing out on a lot of info.

Would this work?
    Keep on studying the rapid revsion and any qs left out answered from the past papers in the rapid revision I study it from the marking schemes ?.

I have to put a disclaimer here: I'm one of the authors of the Revise Wise, so my comments might be seen as biased, and boards also has rules about shilling.

As a teacher, no it's probably not sufficient, back then when it was printed ,yes, now, no. It was printed in 2007 and hasn't been updated since. The exam has moved on since then and stuff has come up that is not in the RR book.

What you are doing is no harm, but you will need to supplement it.

I have to put a disclaimer here: I'm one of the authors of the Revise Wise, so my comments might be seen as biased, and boards also has rules about shilling.

As a teacher, no it's probably not sufficient, back then when it was printed ,yes, now, no. It was printed in 2007 and hasn't been updated since. The exam has moved on since then and stuff has come up that is not in the RR book.

What you are doing is no harm, but you will need to supplement it.

Wow Congrats. Its a really good book. I really like how its layout mirrors the breaking ground book. So would you say if I continue with the rapid revision But also take on missed bits from the revise wise and exam papers it should be okay.

It should, but remember marking schemes only give key phrases in answers. It can be worth reading back over the relevant section of your book to find out the context of that answer. Granted some are obvious, but you'll come across a few now and again where you might need to elaborate a bit more.

• Advertisement

Any tips to make it better. Or would this be considered completed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Any tips to make it better. Or would this be considered completed ?

Add a key

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Add a key

and a scale maybe.

Could I get an answer to this exM qs.
    Taken from 2010 Q8
    in the context of fat lamb production, dicuss the statement ''the ewe.looks after quantity while the ram looks after quality.
    cant find it in revise wise or rapid reviion

Could I get an answer to this exM qs.
    Taken from 2010 Q8
    in the context of fat lamb production, dicuss the statement ''the ewe.looks after quantity while the ram looks after quality.
    cant find it in revise wise or rapid reviion

It'll be in the marking scheme on examinations.ie. It's also a question designed to make you think about what is being asked, not give back a rote learned answer.

• Advertisement

In the ''Animal Diseases'' Chapter do I need to learn all of these diseases, or are their some that I do not need to ?
    Anemia
    Swayback
    Pining
    Milk fever
    Lambing sickness
    Grass tetany
    Red water fever
    Lice
    Stomach and intestinal worms
    Lungworms
    Maggots
    Scheep scap
    Navel ill
    Bacterial scour
    Tuberculosis
    Coliform scour
    Farrowing fever
    Brucellosis
    Mastitis
    Blackleg
    Viral pneumonia
    SMEDI
    Orf
    Lead poisoning
    Nutritional scour
    Lameness
    Agalactia
    Acidosis
    Bloat

If they're on the syllabus the only way you can get away with not knowing any is luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laura788

Is this for plant identification??

With plant identification you have to name the plants and give the families they come from.

If it's the experiment section, well it's just the experiment write up.

yes this is for plant identification!! thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Thinking of picking up Ag Science this year, did Biology and got a B3 HL, anyways..

The examiner comes in and interviews some people about their projects, right? What if I was an 'external' student? I'll only be repeating 3 subjects at most whilst working full-time.. I will not be going to school, so would I be exempt from the interview?

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up Ag Science this year, did Biology and got a B3 HL, anyways..

The examiner comes in and interviews some people about their projects, right? What if I was an 'external' student? I'll only be repeating 3 subjects at most whilst working full-time.. I will not be going to school, so would I be exempt from the interview?

No, you will have to present yourself for the interview and if you are taught by the same teacher as the rest of the students in that school you are part of that class and can be chosen for interview.

No more than if you took up French this year you would have to do the oral. There is no difference.

BlueWolf16 wrote: »

If you're an external you're pretty much guaranteed to be interviewed

Which one of these would answer this question with full marks.

Explain the role of lime in cation exchange capacity.

Which one of these would answer this question with full marks.

Explain the role of lime in cation exchange capacity.

1. you shouldn't be putting scans of textbooks on the forum.

2. The question is from the 2014 paper, you can find the answer in the marking scheme

3. Answering questions isn't about learning off a paragraph from any book. It's about interpreting the question and what is required of you to answer it.

i.e. what is cation exchange: it's the swapping of one positive cation for another on the surface of a soil colloid. cations being exchanged are typically Ca2+ for H+ or Al3+. Lime contains alkaline cations, Ca2+ and Mg2+. Therefore liming the land contributes calcium ions to the soil solution which promotes the exchange of Ca ions for H ions on the surface of the negative soil colloids.

Thank you Rainbowtrout.

This question I was doing last night, from the 2008 paper on soil.
    It asked about explaining the following terms as used in the context of plant growth in soil:
    Field capacity, permanent wilting point, available water.

My answer:
    Field capacity: only the capillary pores are filled and the large pores contain air
    Permanent wilting point: only hygroscopic water is present.
    available water: the water extracted by crops between field capacity and permanent wilting pont.

Marking scheme.
    1. amount of water in soil after water has drained away by gravity
    2. all capillary water used/plant unable to extract more/plant dies
    3. difference between 1 and 2/ water plant can get

now is it that I am not interpreting the answers correctly, that they are the same, but said in a different context or is my answer completely wrong.

One more thing I wanted to ask, my friend sat the ag science paper this year and he said he didnt study any of the soil chapters because the qs on it are too vague and theres lot of experiments from it. He got an A2.

Is that true, that you can skip the soil chapters all together even tough its a guaranteed question with genetics, what other can you skip ?

Thank you Rainbowtrout.

This question I was doing last night, from the 2008 paper on soil.
    It asked about explaining the following terms as used in the context of plant growth in soil:
    Field capacity, permanent wilting point, available water.

My answer:
    Field capacity: only the capillary pores are filled and the large pores contain air
    Permanent wilting point: only hygroscopic water is present.
    available water: the water extracted by crops between field capacity and permanent wilting pont.

Marking scheme.
    1. amount of water in soil after water has drained away by gravity
    2. all capillary water used/plant unable to extract more/plant dies
    3. difference between 1 and 2/ water plant can get

now is it that I am not interpreting the answers correctly, that they are the same, but said in a different context or is my answer completely wrong.

One more thing I wanted to ask, my friend sat the ag science paper this year and he said he didnt study any of the soil chapters because the qs on it are too vague and theres lot of experiments from it. He got an A2.

Is that true, that you can skip the soil chapters all together even tough its a guaranteed question with genetics, what other can you skip ?

Your answers are fine. It's not feasible to put every possible way of wording an answer in a marking scheme. There are several ways often of saying one thing which are correct. That goes for many subjects.

It would probably be good for you to take note of the phrases are used in the marking scheme and try and incorporate them into your answers.

I don't advise my students to skip anything. Q2 is always soil. But usually one of the experiements in Q4 is on soil. There may be a short question in Q1 and a scientific explanation in Q9. in 2014 there were two full soil questions.

The questions on soil aren't at all vague. The problem is usually that students misinterpret them, don't answer what is being asked, or find the topic boring so don't learn it properly.

E.g. some years there is a question on soil texture, other years there may be a question on soil type. Students get these confused all the time.

Texture is what the soil consists of (sand, silt and clay). I think this years Q was on soil texture, and hence, sandy loam, clay loam etc.

Soil type refers to the different categories of soil: podzol, brown earth, basin peat.

Your friend may have got an A2, but he probably knew everything else on the course inside out. I see plenty of students take the same gamble without knowing the other stuff properly. E.g. they skip soil but are not good at genetic crosses.

It's a wide ranging course and questions often contain subsections on different topics, so leaving out a topic can sometimes cause problems.

It's a decision you'll have to make for yourself closer to the time.

• Advertisement

Your answers are fine. It's not feasible to put every possible way of wording an answer in a marking scheme. There are several ways often of saying one thing which are correct. That goes for many subjects.

It would probably be good for you to take note of the phrases are used in the marking scheme and try and incorporat
    I don't advise my students to skip anything. Q2 is always soil. But usually one of the experiements in Q4 is on soil. There may be a short question in Q1 and a scientific explanation in Q9. in 2014 there were two full soil questions.

The questions on soil aren't at all vague. The problem is usually that students misinterpret them, don't answer what is being asked, or find the topic boring so don't learn it properly.

E.g. some years there is a question on soil texture, other years there may be a question on soil type. Students get these confused all the time.

Texture is what the soil consists of (sand, silt and clay). I think this years Q was on soil texture, and hence, sandy loam, clay loam etc.

Soil type refers to the different categories of soil: podzol, brown earth, basin peat.

Your friend may have got an A2, but he probably knew everything else on the course inside out. I see plenty of students take the same gamble without knowing the other stuff properly. E.g. they skip soil but are not good at genetic crosses.

It's a wide ranging course and questions often contain subsections on different topics, so leaving out a topic can sometimes cause problems.

It's a decision you'll have to make for yourself closer to the time.

Thank you this really cleared a lot of stuff that I had in my my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

A combination of studyclix and revise wise sufficient enough for notes?

Regarding the plant and animal id chapter.
    Am I right in saying for the actual EXAM, the only thing you need to learn from that chapter is the families, names of plants and animals, phylums.
    And be able to identify the features of the animals and bacteria.

Whereas in the exam, exact same but you have to identify them through pics.

Regarding the plant and animal id chapter.
    Am I right in saying for the actual EXAM, the only thing you need to learn from that chapter is the families, names of plants and animals, phylums.
    And be able to identify the features of the animals and bacteria.

Whereas in the exam, exact same but you have to identify them through pics.

No, you should be able to give the characteristics of the plants and animals which are the identifying features of those families. Life cycles have also come up in the past (e.g. liver fluke).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

In 5th year not doing any science subject for the lc but I need one to keep my options open for college would ag science be achievable to get a c3 or better at higher level self teaching myself? Would appreciate a reply thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Telo123 wrote: »
    In 5th year not doing any science subject for the lc but I need one to keep my options open for college would ag science be achievable to get a c3 or better at higher level self teaching myself? Would appreciate a reply thanks.

You could do the exam on your own but you would run into problems with the project and farm visit bits.

Whether you can get a C3 or not is down to your own ability and work rate. Nobody here can answer that. Do not start ag science unless you have a teacher who is willing to supervise and grade your project.

Alright thanks. Does that mean I can't do my project at home and get a teacher to sign it off when I'm done?

Alright thanks. Does that mean I can't do my project at home and get a teacher to sign it off when I'm done?

You'll need to discuss that with the teacher. I wouldn't be at all happy if a student worked away on a project and suddenly rocked up before the deadline and handed it to me and asked me to grade it. I'd have no evidence that they did the project themselves or if it was copied/bought.

You should have their agreement to grade you before you do your project rather than assuming they will after you have it done.

• Advertisement

Thanks for clarifying. Hope you don't mind answering one last question is the course for ag science large?

Advertisement