Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

The Belly wrote: »
    Remember who pays for it all at the end of the day.

Taxpayers. I have a job, I pay tax, do you!?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Good deflection.

No deflection it is a fact.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Taxpayers. I have a job, I pay tax, do you!?

i sure do

Well you clearly do have an issue as you have been posting here all night,

Thread was opened 4 hours ago. I'm guessing you teach drama....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

"remember who pays for it all at the end of the day".
    Sorry where is the fact in this sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I think you will find it was a statement, but anyway, I digress. You haven't given me a straight answer, but then I probably didn't ask plainly enough. Do you have the same issues with doctors striking as you do with teachers?

I think you will find it was a statement, but anyway, I digress. You haven't given me a straight answer, but then I probably didn't ask plainly enough. Do you have the same issues with doctors striking as you do with teachers?

I think in times like this is not the time for unions to strike at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think in times like this is not the time for unions to strike that all.

Yes because you expect teachers to put themselves at risk with less protections than yourself, you clarified that earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,261 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Teachers are stuck in a room with a bunch of vectors. Schools should be closed and teachers should be teaching online.
    School is not childminding.
    The equal pay thing is a bit of an add on but I agree with it in principle.

Funny, for years when unions and teacher ballot to strike emphasis is put on what they do.

Now they are essentially saying their job CA be reduced to sending question sheets around online.

It's really poor form, isn't evidenced based and other countries are getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is not a pay increase, it's restoration. Semantics for most granted, but another in the long line of broken promises from this govt.

If you were happy with the lc fiasco, then by supporting the govt you get more of the same on that one.

Reread the post you quoted again.

• Advertisement

I think in times like this is not the time for unions to strike at all.

So unsafe working conditions should be accepted? Unions would bever achieve anything if they only took industrial action(not necessarily strikes) at "acceptable" times.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Yes because you expect teachers to put themselves at risk with less protections than yourself, you clarified that earlier.

Get a different job if you feel so strongly about it.

noodler wrote: »
    It's really poor form, isn't evidenced based and hasn't been required elsewhere.

It can’t exactly be based on evidence when the evidence is totally incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Funny, for years when unions and teacher ballot to strike emphasis is put on what they do.

Now they are essentially saying their job CA be reduced to sending question sheets around online.

It's really poor form, isn't evidenced based and other countries are getting on with it.

Let me categorically assure you that 100pc of teachers do not want to return to online teaching/ remote learning.

So unsafe working conditions should be accepted? Unions would bever achieve anything if they only took industrial action(not necessarily strikes) at "acceptable" times.

So it's ok for all the other workers without the safety and protection teachers have to pay wise? One rule for you another for everyone else?

Get a different job if you feel so strongly about it.

Yeah - I’m not a teacher.

They're not striking to go back to online learning? Or have I misunderstood your post?

Also what countries are getting on with it in the same situation as our teachers?

Yeah - I’m not a teacher.

nor am i

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Tomtom3105 wrote: »
    It was only a matter of time before the ASTI went down this road, they have a problem with everything, teachers have to be the most entitled group of workers in this country and the most patronising. You can clearly see the posters on this thread that are teachers by the way they assume everyone else's opinion is stupid. The covid tracking is present in the schools my own fellas experienced a couple of cases just before midterm the pods were tested no positives from the pods no further tests no problem not to say it wont happen again bit so far the system has worked, dont know why covid tracking is so hard for the teachers to implement themself I would say it a case of roll call for the class like every other group setting is doing but cant expect teachers to do that, they were off from March to September missed the crucial revision term for that years leaving cert and then whinged about having to do the marking scheme, let them strike to **** or stay at home or whatever, you swear they were forced into that line of work at gunpoint the way they go on.

I don’t think I’ve seen as many false claims in one post before. “Missed the crucial revision term”. What in Gods name are you on about?

nor am i

As you have said, as well as saying your employer does not take covid restrictions advice seriously albeit indirectly.

Ah sure - your in the Sh*t so everyone else should be I guess!

• Advertisement

So it's ok for all the other workers without the safety and protection teachers have to pay wise? One rule for you another for everyone else?

I actually don't understand what you mean by this? Do you want every job to be paid the same? We probably should all be looking for TD saleries then, jesus, aim higher than teacher's wages anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How are they looking to be paid off though? No teacher who entered teaching before 2011 will benefit from pay equalisation.

Thats true.They did get an increase in their allowances this month which must be a thorn in the side to post 2011 teachers.

As you have said, as well as saying your employer does. not take covid restrictions advice seriously albeit indirectly.

Ah sure - your in the **** so everyone else should be I guess!

I don't have an employer I am one. And no I'm not in the sh....te thank god but many are. I just don't think it's a time for unions to be acting up about pay rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Tomtom3105

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve seen as many false claims in one post before. “Missed the crucial revision term”. What in Gods name are you

The last term before the leaving cert in June,schools.closed in march at the start of the last term of the school year which is used for revision, you could have worked that out though but I'm guessing that's your main point of arguement to get into this with me.

I actually don't understand what you mean by this? Do you want every job to be paid the same? We probably should all be looking for TD saleries then, jesus, aim higher than teacher's wages anyway!

when the economy is in the state it's in and you have a secure job it's not the time to be looking for more money. That's all.

I don't have an employer I am one. And no I'm not in the sh....te thank god but many are. I just don't think it's a time for unions to be acting up about pay rises.

Ah so you don’t adhere to the public health advice then?

You eluded to that earlier, something along the lines of “get on with it” with 30+’people in a room the size of a large bedroom?

I’m curious now to know what type of business you run.

Ah so you don’t adhere to the public health advice then?

You eluded to that earlier, something along the lines of “get on with it” with 30+’people in a room the size of a large bedroom?

I’m curious now to know what type of business you run.

well stay curious

when the economy is in the state it's in and you have a secure job it's not the time to be looking for more money. That's all.

As already stated by me several times, i don't necessarily agree with the motion as it has muddied the waters. The back and forth between me and you proves it. The industrial action mandate is about much much more than pay inequality.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

yabadabado wrote:
    Any teacher who is high risk can go on covid leave.Its paid leave and doesn't effect their sick leave record.

yabadabado wrote:
    No reason for any high risk teacher to be in a class room.

That's not true. Unless you are 'very high risk' you have to get on with it.

• Advertisement

As already stated by me several times, i don't necessarily agree with the motion as it has muddied the waters. The back and forth between me and you proves it. The industrial action mandate is about much much more than pay inequality.

And that I have no issues with but sneaking in the pay increase is a bit rich. It's not the time for it.

Advertisement