Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options
  • 28-10-2020 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

They are something else, was only ever a matter of time

NOBODY will support them if it gets to a strike.

They are so precious.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1028/1174494-asti-ballot/

Secondary school teachers who are members of the ASTI trade union have voted in favour of industrial action, up to and including strike action, unless the Government immediately addresses a number of key Covid related issues in schools.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

They are so precious.

Secondary school teachers who are members of the ASTI trade union have voted in favour of industrial action, up to and including strike action, unless the Government immediately addresses a number of key Covid related issues in schools.

I'll be supporting them so not exactly nobody OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What are you disagreeing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

What are you disagreeing with?

Teachers looking for any reason to strike, using Covid to get pay increases for those hired post 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

B***ards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There will be no public support for this. On full pay since March and staying home risk free. Hardly front line staff. I'd have more sympathy for supermarket staff, bus drivers, taxi drivers etc to be honest. Tradesmen take higher risks on a daily basis entering peoples homes not knowing if they are clean or not

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jesus what a time to bring up the equal pay arguement!

Zero support from me. We have all had to put up with less than ideal working conditions during COVID but of course its the teachers whinging and moaning as per usual.

Nurses have been working tirelessly the last 6-7 months and putting the health of themselves and their families on the line yet the teachers are the ones moaning! Student nurses barely getting paid to do the work of a full time nurses yet the teachers have been off the last few months! Absolute joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Sleeper12 wrote: »
      There will be no public support for this. On full pay since March and staying home risk free. Hardly front line staff. I'd have more sympathy for supermarket staff, bus drivers, taxi drivers etc to be honest. Tradesmen take higher risks on a daily basis entering peoples homes not knowing if they are clean or not

Something tells me if bud drivers and supermarket workers went on strike you’d be giving out about that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I think I read somewhere that ASTI leadership are full of PBP/ Rise/ People's front of Judea types so not too surprised at this...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It will never be forgotten if they go ahead with this

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Hogzy wrote: »

Zero support from me. We have all had to put up with less than ideal working conditions during COVID but of course its the teachers whinging and moaning as per usual.

Nurses have been working tirelessly the last 6-7 months and putting the health of themselves and their families on the line yet the teachers are the ones moaning! Student nurses barely getting paid to do the work of a full time nurses yet the teachers have been off the last few months! Absolute joke!

Have they? Schools have been closed for the last few months? Strange that I missed that one...

• Advertisement

cmssjone wrote: »
      Have they? Schools have been closed for the last few months? Strange that I missed that one...

I meant the summer break you obviously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There would be no issue with these new entrants had the existing teachers not been happy to pull the ladder up behind them and shaft newbies in 2010..

I heard a teachers union rep on the radio a couple of weeks ago going on how they were the only profession that were expected to go to work despite the pandemic....................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Stick them on the dole from here to Christmas.
      That will soon soften their cough.
      What a bunch of selfish cnuts.

There would be no issue with these new entrants had the existing teachers not been happy to pull the ladder up behind them and shaft newbies in 2010..

I’m interested. Tell me more...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

And the creche workers getting on with it on half the pay or less.
      That asti should have been told long ago to get stuffed by one of the education ministers, instead of meeting to hear their concerns. Strike away folks, I hope it lashes!

They got a pay increase in October, why not another one in November! N 200000 people out of a job over covid.
      We're all in this together folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I find a bit bizarre that people think to purpose of a strike is to garner public support :confused:

cmssjone wrote: »
      I’m interested. Tell me more...

Around 2009 when there were cutbacks in the pipeline all the unions were kicking and screaming and threatening action and strikes.

The final plan was changed so that the new entrants would be put on a lower payscale but the existing ones relatively unaffected.

Unions did some murmering lip-service but there was no strikes by the existing teachers in support of the soon-to-be teachers.

It would have been fairer if they had all accepted a cut and had the same conditions.

Bambi wrote: »
      I find a bit bizarre that people think to purpose of a strike is to garner public support :confused:

Public support (or lack there of) is important when the minister goes to negotiate terms with the ASTI.

The government needs to break these rogue unions once and for all.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

No doubt there are many teachers that would have voted yes to everything for a chance to have time off but there are definitely some legitimate concerns there.

I heard a good few times of covid cases not being disclosed correctly in schools and students not being considered close contacts beasuse they were sitting more than 2 meteres away. Same goes for teachers.

Some teachers have every right to be concerned and it doesn't seem like government have done much of anything to prevent spread in schools.

Government are doing everything they can to keep the schools open but it goes against public advice to everyone else.

I can't have a single visitor but 20 plus students can be in class room all day together. Even if you agree with that, the teachers have every right to be be angry when their told their not close contacts when a student tests positive. At least let teacher get tested before returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It will never be forgotten if they go ahead with this

Forgotten? It's only been about 15 years since their last strike. It's time we stopped giving into coercion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭irishproduce

This is the one time they should not threaten strike.
      They are frontline workers like many others (myself included). That's a badge of honour for some.
      Teachers will be called out on looking for any reason to get out of work.
      And the snakey inclusion of the pay increase for post 2010 hires leaves them wide open to accusations that they have ulterior motives. Grievances around covid should be separated if they intend to make demands of government regarding covid issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Public support (or lack there of) is important when the minister goes to negotiate terms with the ASTI.
      A quick scan across social media shows you that people love to bash teachers, so what do they have to lose? Imagine looking for safe conditions for your members, the horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Teachers are stuck in a room with a bunch of vectors. Schools should be closed and teachers should be teaching online.
      School is not childminding.
      The equal pay thing is a bit of an add on but I agree with it in principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Have teachers ever had public support for a strike?

The schools being closed in March showed just how screwed many are without the child minding services provided by schools so I doubt teachers are too concerned about public support.

I do think threatening to strike over pay is a terrible idea though.

A quick scan across social media shows you that people love to bash teachers, so what do they have to lose? Imagine looking for safe conditions for your members, the horror!

What has pay rises for new entrants since 2010 got to do with ‘safe conditions’?

Around 2009 when there were cutbacks in the pipeline all the unions were kicking and screaming and threatening action and strikes.

The final plan was changed so that the new entrants would be put on a lower payscale but the existing ones relatively unaffected.

Unions did some murmering lip-service but there was no strikes by the existing teachers in support of the soon-to-be teachers.

It would have been fairer if they had all accepted a cut and had the same conditions.

Teachers weren’t able to strike by the agreement they signed. The department of education changed conditions of employment soon after. The unions should have done better due diligence on the agreement but missed the trap that the dept of education set. That’s the reason why teachers and the unions don’t believe a word that the Government say. Just look at the farce that was/is the predicted grade debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

They are so precious.

The moaning omg

You don't see all the healthcare or retail staff moaning and their pay and conditions are poorer

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I heard a teachers union rep on the radio a couple of weeks ago going on how they were the only profession that were expected to go to work despite the pandemic....................

The astounding thing is that they actually believe it....:mad:

Advertisement