Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career orientation

Options
  • 25-10-2020 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I’d like to be career oriented. I’ve worked for a few companies but now I’m off work and the next job I get I’d like it to be the right one... can someone please advise who I should contact for career advice or what should I do. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Noddy45 wrote: »
    I’d like to be career oriented. I’ve worked for a few companies but now I’m off work and the next job I get I’d like it to be the right one... can someone please advise who I should contact for career advice or what should I do. Thanks.

Try a career/life coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So you wished to be more career focused that say lifestyle focused.

Can’t say I’ve seen someone wish that before. Usually people feel it’s something to move away from.

Do you have a qualification? Career focus should be based to some extent on skills if not ideally interest to some extent to be best placed to succeed or worse case stick at it to ensure an income.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Yeah I agree with Brian. A "career" seems like a great idea, but once you're in it you want to get away from it.

I think a better option (and I suspect this is what you really want OP) is a job which has a future.

For example, imagine you joined Microsoft as a software tester, and then two years later you were a team lead, and then two years later you moved into project management, and then two years later you were a senior project manager. So you're working for a good company, have a good job, a good salary, and you're doing a job which has value and can transfer to a different company or even industry.

Does that sound about right OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Noddy45

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with Brian. A "career" seems like a great idea, but once you're in it you want to get away from it.

I think a better option (and I suspect this is what you really want OP) is a job which has a future.

For example, imagine you joined Microsoft as a software tester, and then two years later you were a team lead, and then two years later you moved into project management, and then two years later you were a senior project manager. So you're working for a good company, have a good job, a good salary, and you're doing a job which has value and can transfer to a different company or even industry.

Does that sound about right OP?

Yes, that’s right.
    I have a degree in languages. I was a teacher, then travelled abroad and worked in insurance. Then, settled in Ireland and started working for a software company that went bust. After that, I worked as a recruitment consultant - I did that for 5 years, but I’m not sure that was for me, so I left and since then I’m unemployed.
    I’d like to go back into teaching now but I just don’t know how to get started... I don’t want to teach kids, I’d rather work with adults... if there’s any courses I must take I will. I just want to be happy in a job. And that has never been the case.

• Advertisement

I just want to be happy in a job. And that has never been the case.

Were you happy working as a teacher back when you graduated?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Noddy45

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Were you happy working as a teacher back when you graduated?

I was teaching kids. I like teaching but had to give it up because kids were insubordinate and I had a nervous breakdown, that’s why I never went back to teaching but if I could teach adults then I would.

How about working as a trainer?

Sales trainer?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DarceyEllie

Hi There,

With the future of many courses going to be on line, i think you would be fantastic as you have the teaching background and are computer savvy. Could you link in with some of the colleges? Im sure you would be a great asset.
    Wishing you all the best.

Advertisement