Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coral Tour Championship - ITV4 20th-26th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

zuutroy wrote: »
    He's gone on a strict diet and lost 2 stone since the season was suspended.

As for the conditions, the tables are controlled with slate heaters do drive the moisture out and keep the cloth at a fixed temperature so the ambient temperature should have little or no effect on how the table plays.

Just read that about him losing weight. On 9 June he'd shed 22lbs in 4 weeks by ditching takeaways, alcohol, crisps and chocolate. And you said a further half stone since.

Fair play to him. I've lost 1.5 stone myself in the lockdown so i guess there are some positives to take for people out of this mad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm enjoying listening to Joe Perry on commentary. Nice soft voice and talks at the appropriate time. Doesn't over do it like Joe Johnstone who never shuts up. Sometimes saying nothing is best as most snooker fans are knowledgable and dont need to be spoon fed the obvious.

I can't stand to listening to him. The constant inflections at the end of every sentence are really irritating.

Big win by Allen. Rarely seen Selby being destroyed like that. 9-2 is a bit of a walloping. Two bruisers in the final now. I hope Allen goes on to win tomorrow. And then a nice build up to Sheffield.

Eurosport are showing the Crucible qualifiers live, i believe. Should be some nail biters there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

What's happened to Selby over the last few seasons? He used to be unbeatable when on form...he seems to have slipped big time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Inviere wrote: »
    What's happened to Selby over the last few seasons? He used to be unbeatable when on form...he seems to have slipped big time?

It must be just between the ears or application or both. Can't reach those high levels and slip that dramatically. I suppose Williams is a good example of that he was going to quit the game. No desire left, his wife told him to cop on. Then before you knew it he was giving a press conference in the nip after winning the world title.

Can't find the Selby interview after the last Mark Allen game.

Got this instead.

Mark Selby Scottish Open interview 2019 (@1:29)

He seems to have to put in a load of practice to maintain a high standard - not a natural player. More manufactured?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/06/mark-selby-fulfilled-promise-to-dying-father

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Hard to know with Selby. Definately not a natural talent like Ronnie or Trump and perhaps winning the Worlds three times in six or seven years has taken so much out of him and naturally your hunger may drop a small bit and even 5% less may be enough to lose that manic desire he had. He's a great competitor though so i'd still have him in the running to win a fourth World title as he likes the hard slog and seems to revel in it.

That interview Maguire did with Rod Walker yesterday about todays final was awful. Why go to the bother of meeting up outside and sitting for a chat when you ask two questions and then say good luck. I can never warm to Maguire. Seems nervous whenever he's talking and looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. Like it's all a chore. I'm sure he has his support but he's my least favourite player and i'm on Mark Allens side here today, bigtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hard to put the finger on selby. Still winning two titles most seasons, third on the seasonal rankings, it's not as if he's forgotten to play the game exactly.

But - and it's a very big but - his record in the big 3 tournaments past 3 seasons has been atrocious, one qf appearance in those 8 outings, shocking for a player of his stature. Losing to a lot of average players, i dont know how you explain that. If anything you'd expect it other way round with selby, struggling in the lesser events, comes good in the majors. But not how its going. Maybe 3-4 years at the top is just so attritional, given way he plays, or he just doesnt intimidate guys the wsy, say, Ronnie can. Maybe a combination of things. Hard to fathom really.

Slow burner so far this final. Neither player on top form. Lots of errors and poor misses. Still it's pretty even so far. 2-2.

Allen really should be 6-2 in front. Not just me saying that as Joe Perry said same. He had some great chances to put himself in a commanding position but some very poor misses and positional play allowed Maguire to steal a couple of frames he scarcely deserved. Maguire will be the happier of the two knowing he's got out of jail and lucky to have parity. All to play for tonight. Get the popcorn ready as it could be a long night ahead.

• Advertisement

Could be a big turning point in Frame 11. Maguire had started the evening in fine form going 6-4 in front and looked like going another frame ahead but after going into the pack he fouled a red into a corner pocket and Allen held his composure and cleared up. Maguire as usual nearly put his cue through the floor in a fit of rage but anger is a weakness and Allen looks up for the fight.

Maguire should be 7-4 but unfortunate inoff costs him and leads 6-5 instead. Interesting to see how that bad break affects him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Maguire very unlucky to not be 7-4 up, after accidentally knocking in that red.

His reaction there, thumping his queue off the ground. He seems capable of extreme anger. I’d say he’d like to be able to vent a bit more than is acceptable in snooker. If he played tennis he’d probably break 2 or 3 rackets a match.

Maguire very unlucky to not be 7-4 up, after accidentally knocking in that red.

His reaction there, thumping his queue off the ground. He seems capable of extreme anger. I’d say he’d like to be able to vent a bit more than is acceptable in snooker. If he played tennis he’d probably break 2 or 3 rackets a match.

Uncontrollable rage coursing through his angry body.

Excellent safety there by Maguire has enabled him to win the frame. Deserved lead. 7-5.

Pity Ding couldn't have turned up this week. Maguire is going to do a 'Denmark' on it and by right shouldn't even be here. But he's made the most of it and taking 105,000 pounds out of Judd Trumps pocket aswel.

Allen has not turned up tonight. Has faded badly.

Allen butchered position on that pink to clear up and get a140 and take the high break prize off Maguire. Left it too straight and the extra power he had to put into it made it that much harder. He had a good laugh about itall the same. Small change to these millionaire cueists.

Another outrageous fluke by Maguire similiar tolast night whereby he misses a red and leaves it over a pocket but snookers Allen behind the green. He's had some run of balls this week.

I hope Maguire has used up his annual luck allowance this week. Deary me its been riidiculous.

• Advertisement

Nasty snooker, gonna be a miss rule job here.

Maguire ready to put his fist through the table. Or the referee. Even the tv camera. Nothing is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I hope Maguire has used up his annual luck allowance this week. Deary me its been riidiculous.

'Ball Run' Bingham feeling hard done by with his nickname.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Haha, the twists and turns in this 16th and most extraordinary frame of snooker. Loving it.

Why did Allen get on that pink so poorly? Brutal stuff. Good entertainment all the same.

And there she goes. Maguire has his day in the sun. Good weeks snooker. A cool 250K in his pocket. Maybe he could pay for some anger therapy but probably too late at this stage. Good win for him.

Nice rest for few weeks and then its a snooker marathon in Sheffield. Cannot wait.

Fun frame. Allen not putting him back on the yellow was a poor decision. Better player by far prevailed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ken mentioned that Maguire has a titanium ferrule on the tip of the cue. What's the difference between a brass and titanium ferrule on their tip of the cue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Fun frame. Allen not putting him back on the yellow was a poor decision. Better player by far prevailed anyway.

It was a poor decision but it was never a miss, just missed hitting it by a hairs width.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    It was a poor decision but it was never a miss, just missed hitting it by a hairs width.

If ref didnt call it, then that's another thing. I didnt hear him call it, just assumed he did.

Advertisement