Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake in Japan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

We really have no idea how lucky we are on this island that we've never had anything like this, and hopefully never will. Those poor souls are now on a tsunami warning. As if an 8.8 wasn't bad enough...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There are few reports (so far) of any significant damage at the moment as a result of the earthquake but some parts have now been hit by a tsunami which looks like it may have caused significant damage to coastal areas and possibly loss of life.

Tsunami warnings now issued for many areas of the western Paciffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watching it live on Sky News,10 metre tsunami is doing serious damage.Check out one clip where the vans and cars trying to escape get hit by it.USA,Taiwan and Indonesia have issued tsunami alerts,it could hit Hawaii around lunchtime.
    7.5 aftershock has hit the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

flicking between sky news and fox news since 6.30 and the tsunami i saw was incredible, i saw people in cars trying to get away, just washed away and an oil refinary is now on fire, after shocks of 6.7 upwards reported. low lying area evacuations taking place in hawaii now due to potential tsunami's and its still 3-5 hours away

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Link to coverage live from Japan (in English) http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

My brother is on holiday there at the moment. He was at Mount Fuji 22 hrs ago but haven't made contat with him since then and can't get through on his mobile. Mother nature :(

Bloody Hell. God love them. Lots of damage.

List of Tsunami arrival times for west coast of US.

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2010/02/27/725245/25/webeta725245-25.txt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Saw it on Sky news, my goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Jake1 wrote: »
    Bloody Hell. God love them. Lots of damage.

List of Tsunami arrival times for west coast of US.

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2010/02/27/725245/25/webeta725245-25.txt

Feb 27th?

tsunami sirens started in hawaii, expected around lunchtime our time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

God help us if the 1755 Atlantic Earthquake happens again!

I hope that the plans and preparations that the Japanese people have made over the years work and that no-one is injured.

christ almighty did anyone see the explosion from the oil refinary there a few minutes ago :eek:

Feb 27th?

Sorry, still half asleep.:o
    Pulled up wrong one.

horrible news,there will be 100's of deaths.
    The floods are crazy sweeping cars away.

Theres a big thread on after hours.
    Earthquakes have absolutely nothing to do with weather.

Seeing threads here might have people thinking they do.

christ almighty did anyone see the explosion from the oil refinary there a few minutes ago :eek:

yeah, looks mental. All the scenes look bad. Just watched several boats smash into a bridge.

yeah, looks mental. All the scenes look bad. Just watched several boats smash into a bridge.

yeah saw the boats to, and i heard whole islands have disappeared around that area, really hope there was'nt many people living on them

yeah saw the boats to, and i heard whole islands have disappeared around that area, really hope there was'nt many people living on them

I feel sorry for all the small islands in the path, Guam and the Mariannas etc.

The power of the earth moving beneath you like that must be terrifying.

Ive just been listening to hawaii fire and rescue, they are getting very worried there. Traffic is backing up all across the islands.
    Talking about barricades. Saying waves will come in at 5-6 feet.:eek:

video here of whirlpool. Crazy looking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU8zyscGWe4&feature=player_embedded#at=24

Hawaii just had a 4.5 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

Before I went to bed last night Japan had suffered ten earthquakes of large magnitude. I switched on Sky News etc and saw nothing.

This AM in two hours it been hit by another 13 large earth quakes un real.

I feel sorry for all the small islands in the path, Guam and the Mariannas etc.

The power of the earth moving beneath you like that must be terrifying.

Ive just been listening to hawaii fire and rescue, they are getting very worried there. Traffic is backing up all across the islands.
    Talking about barricades. Saying waves will come in at 5-6 feet.:eek:

yeah just watching hawaii now myself, cars 30 deep trying to get petrol to get out of there, there not sure how high it will get, some guy on fox news predicted a minimum wave of 1 metre could hit hawaii, it could be higher or lower they just dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Does anyone know if the tsunami will hit Australia and New Zealand?

yeah just watching hawaii now myself, cars 30 deep trying to get petrol to get out of there, there not sure how high it will get, some guy on fox news predicted a minimum wave of 1 metre could hit hawaii, it could be higher or lower they just dont know

Listen to the lads here. Line can get bad. But i did hear them say 5-6 ft waves.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=542

Listen to the lads here. Line can get bad. But i did hear them say 5-6 ft waves.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=542

oh yeah, i heard that, i was just saying that the lad on fox said they didnt know how high they could get, but the minimum was 1 metre waves, even the minimun is about 3 feet, enough to do damage i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

My brother is on holiday there at the moment. He was at Mount Fuji 22 hrs ago but haven't made contat with him since then and can't get through on his mobile. Mother nature :(

I hope you get through to him. Please drop a line here if you do. In the mean time I will keep him in my thoughts along with the rest of those poor people.

Sky said earlier that some islands in the Pacific wouldn't have heights high enough to avoid the Tsunami

oh yeah, i heard that, i was just saying that the lad on fox said they didnt know how high they could get, but the minimum was 1 metre waves, even the minimun is about 3 feet, enough to do damage i'd say

Bloody sure. Jeez, could ye imagine that heading toward us?

We really are lucky here, as has been said before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's the latest on warnings from the Japanese Met Agency

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

Bloody sure. Jeez, could ye imagine that heading toward us?

We really are lucky here, as has been said before.

yeah we are, i would'nt like to be on bettystown beach with a 3 foot wave bearing down on me

• Advertisement

3 meter high tsunami wave forecast for parts of the hawaii islands :eek:

Advertisement