Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there really that many working from home?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I have been lamenting my lack of space for a desk for years. When I finally acknowledged it was a neccessity I re-organised my living room and managed to fit one in. Wish I had done it years ago.

Same. I got a corner desk with storage. Great job.

Must get a mat as recommended in another post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Addle wrote: »

I currently work of a dinning table (space split between me and bf)
    Will be getting a proper chair & mat shortly as well.

While we dont have an allowance from work, they did provide extra screen / docking station etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

WFH is not really costing me extra as my wife and kids are at home full time so there is no extra heating requirement etc for me being there. My PC uses about 1kwh per day so that is negligible. The biggest thing for me is getting my life back. I spent between 3.5 - 4 hours per day commuting previously. Getting that time back to spend with my family is priceless. I really hope this shows that I can work at home full time even after the pandemic ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,086 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Additional costs are fine if you have a steady job and own your own home where you can invest in home office space, or even extend the house if needs be - but that just isn't an option for anyone in rented accommodation, particularly apartments which were already small to begin with, but the decision to live there justified by people who thought they'd be in the office all day.

Indeed. Having me in our perfect-for-one-too-small-for-a-couple-but-we-make-it-work-for-the-location apartment all day is not having a good effect on my partner's mental health, either. He feels like he cannot speak or even listen to music in the living room while I'm on calls.

I've even gone so far as to price office space within 2km of home: for anywhere in a secure-enough location, I'd be looking at between €500 and €600 per month. It really, really annoys me that if the company paid this, it'd be a deductible expense for them, but if I pay it, I pay the full cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've even gone so far as to price office space within 2km of home: for anywhere in a secure-enough location, I'd be looking at between €500 and €600 per month. It really, really annoys me that if the company paid this, it'd be a deductible expense for them, but if I pay it, I pay the full cost.
    You could probably claim tax relief for a small part of it (about €60 a month) along with 10% of your utility costs.

But your point stands - it really shouldn't be down to employees to provide rent-free space to employers.
    Addle wrote: »

Great to hear it works for you. It doesn't work for everyone.

I have been lamenting my lack of space for a desk for years. When I finally acknowledged it was a neccessity I re-organised my living room and managed to fit one in. Wish I had done it years ago.

Great to hear it works for you. It doesn't work for everyone.
    HerrKuehn wrote: »
    This is a great example of why it would be silly to continue with WFH with the public sector when this is over.
    Why? Because some employees don't have the space or the budget to work from home, you think it would be a 'silly to continue with WFH' for others?

You know that there are relatively straightforward ways of meeting the needs of both sets of staff, such as letting those staff who can't WFH back into the office, subject to appropriate social distancing.
    bk wrote: »
    This is just another example of ways things will have to change for changing circumstances.

I'm increasingly seeing landlords making changes to respond to the new reality and demands of renters. Such useless dressing tables being replaced by desks, etc.

These sort of changes were happening anyway, sure they are being forced on more people faster then would otherwise have happened, but that is just reality of being faced by a global pandemic.

Pandemics in the past have always caused sudden massive social and environmental change. The Plague caused the death of a third of the population of Europe, which amongst many other changes, lead to the fall of Feudalism and surving workers ended up with much better pay and working conditions. Diseases like yellow fever and cholera caused massive changes to how cities are built, how people are housed and hygiene. Fresh water, garbage collection, street cleaning, indoor plumbing, sewage systems all developed as a response to those and shaped our cities as we know them today.

It really shouldn't be surprising that Covid19 will cause lasting social changes too.

Some people will do better, some will do worse and perhaps some conservative minded people would be better off if they accepted that this is the new reality and find ways to work with it for their benefit, rather then pinning for the old ways.

The space width available for a dressing table in a box room is generally less than one metre. That's not a desk width. Even in the most hot-house call centre, people get more than 1m width of desk space.

This won't be fixed by the landlord spending €100 in Ikea.

The law disagrees with you that 'this is the new reality'. Employers don't get rent-free space in their employee residences in the long-term by claiming that 'people should just accept it'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,086 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You could probably claim tax relief for a small part of it (about €60 a month) along with 10% of your utility costs.

Nope. I investigated. The company is paying my 3.20 for each day I work. So there is NO tax relief, not even if I have to rent extra space whole and exclusively for the purpose of carrying out the employer's business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,794 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nope. I investigated. The company is paying my 3.20 for each day I work. So there is NO tax relief, not even if I have to rent extra space whole and exclusively for the purpose of carrying out the employer's business.

Probably a good time to look to move if things aren't to your liking.
    I'd always review where I am career wise every few years and if the whole package isn't making sense I would be looking to move on or at least going to my employer to put them in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

I thought for people living in Dublin they would be absoloutly delighted if their company implemented work from home permantly.

You could move anywhere in Ireland, pay a fraction of the cost in rent and buy a massive house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Jimson wrote: »
    I thought for people living in Dublin they would be absoloutly delighted if their company implemented work from home permantly.
    again, it depends on your circumstances. people living alone might find this a quite lonely existence (and i know some people who are already struggling with this).
    i have been able to work from home whenever i want, for the last six or eight years; i am the only irish person on my immediate team. until january, i was still going into the office twice or three times a week to break the monotony.

i suspect i probably won't start doing that again once normalcy resumes, because a couple of the colleagues on related teams have moved to different companies in the last year so there are fewer people i know in the office.

Advertisement