Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Eir to Magnet? Any ideas?

Options
  • 05-12-2019 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Good afternoon!

Seems like I have became another victim of being naive in thinking that "Unlimited fibre broadband" means Unlimited fibre broadband. According to eir it doesn't. It is unlimited until you will hit 1TB of data, and at this stage it is becoming limited, even when it is still being called unlimited.
    As 1TB is not actually that much these days - 1h of 4k Netflix is 7GB, multiply it by 3 Netflix users at household, plus desktop PC, laptop, few mobiles and Xbox downloading huge games and updates - it is really not that hard to hit that limit.
    So long story short - I have hit the limit twice recently and my eircom bill went up from 60e to 160e - and that pi**ed me off to say it lightly...

So I have started digging and it seems that only Magnet does not have this piece of **** called "Fair Usage Policy". From what I see on their website I should be fine with switching to their "Fatpipe Fibre Connection" - and I was wondering - does anyone has any experience with them? or with switching to Magnet from Eir?

Apart from being greedy bastards my eir fibre was very fast and stable, so I am a bit skeptical of changing that. On the other side - I don't want to be paying 160e broadband bill every month.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Eir have given all new customers since the end of last year fully unlimited with no fair usage policy. Old customers still have the FUP unless they ask for it to be removed.

When I was with Eir I go in contact and they removed the FUP for me.
    So if you can get through to Eir(something that should not be taken for granted with that company) then you can get the FUP removed.

Airwire and Eir are the only two companies I know of that will offer an unlimited service with no FUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tuxy wrote: »
    Airwire and Eir are the only two companies I know of that will offer an unlimited service with no FUP.

Or Westnet .. if you live in Mayo or thereabouts.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Eir have given all new customers since the end of last year fully unlimited with no fair usage policy. Old customers still have the FUP unless they ask for it to be removed.

When I was with Eir I go in contact and they removed the FUP for me.
    So if you can get through to Eir(something that should not be taken for granted with that company) then you can get the FUP removed.

And sky. Magnet are dire, try and get the fup removed.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    And sky. Magnet are dire, try and get the fup removed.

https://www.sky.com/ireland/terms-conditions/broadband/usage-policies/

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sly feckers..

The FUP is always somewhere in the terms and conditions.

The FUP is always somewhere in the terms and conditions.

Definitely no fup on virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 17 redbull1985

With Virgin, based in Dublin City(contract is up) also fishing, turns out their 500mb ain't so fast after all. Didn't even realise there was Gigabit fibre floating around,
    Virgin sales tried to convince me Virgin are the only provider without a fair usage policy.
    whole house is run by broadband so need ''unlimited'' and reliable.
    Need the router to be able to go into modem mode as i use a Netgear router instead for DNS purposes .
    On looking its between Eir, i don't need the bundle crap, don't use TV or home phone or Magnet (never heard of them until today.
    So is Magnet really that bad, if so or not explain please?
    Eir according to above have no fair usage policy is this true?
    Never had issues with Virgin is was a top notch service in my location anyway.

With Virgin, based in Dublin City(contract is up) also fishing, turns out their 500mb ain't so fast after all. Didn't even realise there was Gigabit fibre floating around,
    Virgin sales tried to convince me Virgin are the only provider without a fair usage policy.
    whole house is run by broadband so need ''unlimited'' and reliable.
    Need the router to be able to go into modem mode as i use a Netgear router instead for DNS purposes .
    On looking its between Eir, i don't need the bundle crap, don't use TV or home phone or Magnet (never heard of them until today.
    So is Magnet really that bad, if so or not explain please?
    Eir according to above have no fair usage policy is this true?
    Never had issues with Virgin is was a top notch service in my location anyway.

Why is it between Eir and Magnet if you don't need a bundle?
    Do Airwire also cover your area?
    Did you check that it's really FTTH that's available? Many providers label their FTTC product as fibre even though the last section of the connection is copper and probably slower than the Virgin connection you have now.

Advertisement