Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir install line in new development not capable of delivering broadband?

Options
  • 21-07-2017 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi, Eir installed a phone line in a new build house I have recently moved into that is not capable of supporting broadband, even though there are broadband capable lines 20m from this new development. I contacted your customer care to raise a complaint and they were unwilling to do so as I do not have an Eir account. The exact response was "Unfortunately, we are unable to raise a compliant without the account number. ". Can you help here?

Eir took the phone line from a nearby telephone mast that is about 10m from the new development. This phone line is old copper wire going directly to the exchange over 2km away. This gives a download speed of 1mbps.

This new development is 20m from an adjoining housing estate that has copper wires going to a cabinet, and the cabinet has fibre to the exchange. This gives download speed of close to 100mbps.

The road from this new development to the adjoining housing estate had to be dug up to bring services down (water etc). Eir could have brought down a broadband capable line at the same time.

Reply from Eir Customer Care is below. Which you can see is a generic copy & paste message which does not address the complaint I raised - that there are broadband capable lines 20m from the property.

Thank you for your reply.
    Unfortunately, we are unable to raise a compliant without the account number. We can only raise the compliant for our customers with the account number.
    Each customer's ability to get service is affected by certain factors: the distance of the Customer's premises from the telephone exchange, i.e. cable length, the bandwidth available degrades with the distance travelled, the condition of the telephone line - this is due to the sensitivity of fibre technology.

I would like you to be aware that these provisioning issues are inherent to fibre technology world-wide, and directly relates to the technology itself, rather than eir's network.

However, I request you to click on the below link to register as an expression of interest in fibre broadband connection and you will be contacted once fibre connection is enabled on your line.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/eoi/

I hope this email is of some assistance to your query.

If you have any further queries, chat with us on www.eir.ie/chatnow or reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Vignesh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

When I look at the rollout map for broadband here http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/, I see this new development is covered by a nice green area indicating broadband is available. So I would like Eir to provide a broadband capable line. Can you help?

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx specifies that for this property:

Property is in the BLUE AREA
    Your premises is in an area where commercial operators are delivering or have indicated plans to deliver high speed broadband services. Please contact us at broadband@dccae.gov.ie to let us know if you cannot get High Speed Broadband from the providers in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi metricspaces

Thank you for getting in touch and I'm so sorry to hear.

Unfortunately, broadband is not a guaranteed service and is subject to availability.  

You can find the complaints process here

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks, 
    Anna

Hi Anna - as I outlined above, I already tried to log a complaint but your colleague would not provide me with a complaint reference number as I am not an Eir customer. Can you assist here?

Unfortunately, we would be unable to advise further on this. 

I apologise, 

Thanks, 
    Anna  

• Advertisement

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we would be unable to advise further on this. 

I apologise, 

Thanks, 
    Anna  
    Does this mean I cannot lodge an official complaint to Eir?

If you write into our complaints department on the following address you can log it this way:

eir complaints 
    5th Floor,
    Telephone house
    Marlborough Street,
    Dublin 1.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Similar story here. Farce of a situation. 

Advertisement