Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Updated offer]Boards.ie exclusive limited offer: switch to UPC and get a €50 voucher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Hi Jason!

I just moved to Ireland and was a long-time UPC customer in the previous country I lived in. Any chance of a discount for signing up here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi Amik

Welcome to Ireland!

Yes of course, place an order via this link www.upc.ie/boardsoffer and we will waive the activation charges and will give you a €50 voucher after you get installed.

Regards

Jason
    Amik wrote: »
    Hi Jason!

I just moved to Ireland and was a long-time UPC customer in the previous country I lived in. Any chance of a discount for signing up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Perfect, thanks! :D

I signed up last week but I'll re-sign up to take advantage of the offer. Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

see the 6 months Free Sky Sports is no longer offered.

Was thinking about signing up in November mainly due to the 6 months Free Sky Sports (just about gets all the footie season apart from May) but if that's gone for good, not much point now.
    Most people wouldn't be bothered with Setanta or ESPN, it's Sky Sports everybody wants.

Hi WHATSUPDOC

It was actually Free Sky Sports for 2 months not 6, we have not had a 6 month Free sports offer.

Regarding Football.

With UPC, you get several live Premiership games on Setanta Ireland as standard, and also with Select extra and Max you get all the ESPN live games too.

Add in more cost effective pack prices versus SKY, HD for just €5 per month (€15 with Sky) and multiroom viewing for just €5 extra a month (€15 with Sky), there are more reasons to switch to UPC than just the Sky Sports offer that has been discontinued. Most people that switch from SKY are saving €30 to €40 per month depending on their requirements.

Any questions, feel free to call my team for a chat on 1890 940635

Thanks

Jason
    Was thinking about signing up in November mainly due to the 6 months Free Sky Sports (just about gets all the footie season apart from May) but if that's gone for good, not much point now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Justin my father is with upc for years now, has the net & tv for about 10 years now. and has analogue for as long as its in the house!
    Is it possible for him to cancel his current packages (analogue tv + 15mb bb)and take it out in my mothers name to avail of this offer & the new cheaper digi tv? he wants to lower down to the 8meg BB, but theres a charge of €10.
    He should get a free digi box & still have his analogue if he takes up as a new customer with this offer?
    basicly if he canceled now & sub'd to the new offer, would he be without tv & bb for long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

roll on the end of the month then. as its only new in the area then will i be able to self install or will a upc agent be needed, also how long will it take to recieve the equipment when i order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

They usually send someone out if it's first time installation ,they use some sort of machine to register the line I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Hi Jason,

I signed up and was connected to UPC 15meg BB on the 7th of September, I've been billed twice and all is well re charges, speed, service etc. However I have yet to receive my €50 voucher for Carphonewarehouse.
    I rang customer care and was told that although I set up my initial enquiry via the boards.ie link I subsequently made my actual order thru the normal sales team and would then not qualify for the voucher.
    I assured retail support that on that call I had sought confirmation that the voucher would be included as part of my order and quoted my reference number re the voucher from the email sent to me by UPC Retail support.

They said they would have to check the recording of that call and get back to me. That was five days ago. Can you sort this out.

Jo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi Jason.
    Got my UPC installed last week through this offer and really happy with the service and everything so far!

just one tiny prob, I got a voucher today for Woodies when I asked for one from DID electrical,Will I be able to change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

i need a new voucher as i mislaid the no. of my old one, my install is due for next week, is there any way to escape the 30 euro fee.

Hi Panda100

Sorry about that, of course, contact my team on 1890 940635 and we will arrange for you ASAP.

Regards

JAson

panda100 wrote: »
    Hi Jason.
    Got my UPC installed last week through this offer and really happy with the service and everything so far!

just one tiny prob, I got a voucher today for Woodies when I asked for one from DID electrical,Will I be able to change it?

Hi Flutered.

Did you order via this boards offer? If so you wouldnt have a voucher prior to installation.

If you ordered via any other means you will not qualify for a voucher, sorry.

For terms & conditions on this boards offer see here www.upc.ie/boardsoffer

Regards

Jason
    flutered wrote: »
    i need a new voucher as i mislaid the no. of my old one, my install is due for next week, is there any way to escape the 30 euro fee.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Any chance you chould shine some light on my question Jason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Hi Jason, I have already signed for the 30Mb package with TV and phone, only found this now as don't chaeck boards often. The engineer is coming tomorrow (thurs) and I wondered if I was eligiable for the voucher ?

• Advertisement

Hi finnharpsboy

It depends, if you have a UPC or NTL box on the wall, and order self install, we can have the boxes out to you in a few days with full instructions, it is very straightforward.

Enjoy

Regards

Jason
    roll on the end of the month then. as its only new in the area then will i be able to self install or will a upc agent be needed, also how long will it take to recieve the equipment when i order?

Hi Lenny

Not something I would reccomend. He wouldnt be able to open an account in your mothers name, your mother would have to do it and would need proofs of address, id etc.

Why dont you get him to call my team direct on 1890 940635 and we will downgrade his broadband and upgrade him to digital tv with no activation charge. His analogue signal will remain live and working also.

Hope that helps

Regards

Jason
    Lenny wrote: »
    Justin my father is with upc for years now, has the net & tv for about 10 years now. and has analogue for as long as its in the house!
    Is it possible for him to cancel his current packages (analogue tv + 15mb bb)and take it out in my mothers name to avail of this offer & the new cheaper digi tv? he wants to lower down to the 8meg BB, but theres a charge of €10.
    He should get a free digi box & still have his analogue if he takes up as a new customer with this offer?
    basicly if he canceled now & sub'd to the new offer, would he be without tv & bb for long?

Hi kingofslaves

Sorry, this offer is limited to users of boards who ordered via the boards link www.upc.ie/boardsoffer

Unfortunately, as you ordered via a different route you will not qualify for a voucher.

Regards

Jason
    Hi Jason, I have already signed for the 30Mb package with TV and phone, only found this now as don't chaeck boards often. The engineer is coming tomorrow (thurs) and I wondered if I was eligiable for the voucher ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Hi Jason,

further to my last post, UPC customer care now say that I needed to sign up in an actual carphone warehouse shop to avail of the boards offer. i explained to them that this was not the case and gave them the reference code I recieved from upc websales (TRE-965308).
    However they have insisted that this is the case despite the fact that there are hundreds of posts to the contrary on this forum.
    As a gesture they have offered me 2 months service at half price, this worth €39.99.

My point is that they are:
    (1) Questioning my version of events, ie I am lying to them.
    (2) saying the procedure for recieving the voucher involves signing up at CPW, I see no evidence of this on this forum.
    (3) Offering me a compromise which is not what I signed up for and will take two months to come through. I wanted to buy a new phone months ago and my budget is tight, impoverished student etc.

Not really happy about any of this

Jo

Hi Jo Satan

Did you call the general customer service on 1908? If so they do not manage this boards offer or any retail offers, that is all managed by my retail support team which I reference plenty through this thread. 1890 940635.

Please call them direct and they will advise you correctly

Regards

Jason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Legen_Dary

Got my voucher yesterday :) Delighted with my tv :)

I had it installed today with no problems. Only thing is I'm not getting any faster speeds than with Smart. Here are the speedtest results, (I can't connect via ethernet as the modem is too far, (unless I can get an extention lead to move it closer ?)

smart wireless : http://www.speedtest.net/result/1007878186.png
    smart wired: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1007885738.png
    UPC wireless: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1008271931.png

I'm on the 30Mb package and it's not much faster than the 24Mb package I had/have with Smart. Any ideas how to get it faster or how to move the modem closer to the laptop ? (laptop in front parlour, doors separating, modem/tv box in centre of house, access point in kitchen at back of house)

to be honest kings, if your connected to the wireless using the standard wireless modem UPC gave you that is your problem. the modem they supply is not that good for wireless at all. get a "n" series wireless modem(assuming your laptop/pc has a "n" series card

to be honest Lenny I'm trying to save money, not spend it ! I've got several modems here, a belkin, a netgear a d-link AirPlus Xtreme wireless router and 2 smart thomsons ! (smart want thier's back though !)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

Guys I got UPC installed about two weeks ago and have two problems. I got the 8mb line installed without anything else from UPC, so I have to pay the 7.75 charge on top of the 25 euro charge for the broadband.

My first bill arrived yesterday and it was higher then expected. It was 25 + 7.75 + 21% VAT ~ 39.50 euro for the month.

My first reaction was that UPC had hidden somewhere on their website 'ex VAT' when quoting the price. I went back and checked their website and the exact opposite is the case, the pages say 'All prices include VAT'.

I have taken screen shots and will have to get onto them to get this sorted, but they are over charging by 21%. I would recommend you guys to check your bill.

The second problem. When downloading the service is nice and fast, I did a test and was getting close to the 8mb, but when just browsing the web its really really really slow. It can take up to 30 seconds for a simple web page to load, over both wired and wireless connections. I believe the problem is down to DNS, I tired setting up OpenDNS, Google Public DNS and 4.2.2.2, but I have the same problem. If I ping these servers, I get a timeout request quite often. Which DNS servers do you use and does it work fast?

The UPC router said that the receiving signal strength was 8~9db, transmit was 40 db. Does the receiving signal strength look low?

You can view your signal strength on your UPC router here http://192.168.100.1/

Hi davemie

Our bills include Vat. What you are probably seeing is the full months subscription plus the prorata cost of the service for each day prior to the bill run after you got installed (we bill in arrears)

If you want a full run through, give my team a call on 1890 940635, they would be happy to explain it for you, or call 1908 and ask for the billing team.

Not technical so cannot answer you query. Please call 1908 and ask to speak with the tecnical support team, there can be many different reasons for differing speeds, they can talk you though different settings etc.

Regards

Jason
    davemie wrote: »
    Guys I got UPC installed about two weeks ago and have two problems. I got the 8mb line installed without anything else from UPC, so I have to pay the 7.75 charge on top of the 25 euro charge for the broadband.

My first bill arrived yesterday and it was higher then expected. It was 25 + 7.75 + 21% VAT ~ 39.50 euro for the month.

My first reaction was that UPC had hidden somewhere on their website 'ex VAT' when quoting the price. I went back and checked their website and the exact opposite is the case, the pages say 'All prices include VAT'.

I have taken screen shots and will have to get onto them to get this sorted, but they are over charging by 21%. I would recommend you guys to check your bill.

The second problem. When downloading the service is nice and fast, I did a test and was getting close to the 8mb, but when just browsing the web its really really really slow. It can take up to 30 seconds for a simple web page to load, over both wired and wireless connections. I believe the problem is down to DNS, I tired setting up OpenDNS, Google Public DNS and 4.2.2.2, but I have the same problem. If I ping these servers, I get a timeout request quite often. Which DNS servers do you use and does it work fast?

The UPC router said that the receiving signal strength was 8~9db, transmit was 40 db. Does the receiving signal strength look low?

You can view your signal strength on your UPC router here http://192.168.100.1/

Hi kingofslaves

Please call 1908 and go to the technical support desk, they can talk through various different settings to match your router to you pc. (The default set up may not suit your current configaration)

Hope that helps.

Regards

Jason
    to be honest Lenny I'm trying to save money, not spend it ! I've got several modems here, a belkin, a netgear a d-link AirPlus Xtreme wireless router and 2 smart thomsons ! (smart want thier's back though !)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

Sorry Jason, you are right, it was just coincidence that the number of days the bill covered made the pre tax price within a few cents of 25 euro and 7.75 euro which put alarm bells ringing in my head.

Thanks for the quick reply

No worries Davemie

Regards

Jason
    davemie wrote: »
    Sorry Jason, you are right, it was just coincidence that the number of days the bill covered made the pre tax price within a few cents of 25 euro and 7.75 euro which put alarm bells ringing in my head.

Thanks for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Can anyone tell me is there a guide for the self-install or is it pretty self explanitory? Household is looking to switch from Eircom in light of UPC's 30mb/3mb speeds. When the package arrives with our router will our line be set up to just connect and go wireless?

• Advertisement

Hi Sprrratt

Once you are self install capable (you have a UPC or old Chorus/ NTL screw in box on the wall) the process is quite straight forward.

The box sent out has full instructions and cables required. We can provide assistance over the phone if you experience any issuues, and failing that we provide assistance by a technician if necessary.

This new process is working very well and has an extremely high first time completion rate by the vast majority of customers.

Best bit still, order via boards on this link www.upc.ie/boardsoffer, and all activation charges will be waived and you will get a €50 voucher for your trouble.

Enjoy

Regards

Jason
    Sprrratt wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me is there a guide for the self-install or is it pretty self explanitory? Household is looking to switch from Eircom in light of UPC's 30mb/3mb speeds. When the package arrives with our router will our line be set up to just connect and go wireless?

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi Sprrratt

Once you are self install capable (you have a UPC or old Chorus/ NTL screw in box on the wall) the process is quite straight forward.

The box sent out has full instructions and cables required. We can provide assistance over the phone if you experience any issuues, and failing that we provide assistance by a technician if necessary.

This new process is working very well and has an extremely high first time completion rate by the vast majority of customers.

Best bit still, order via boards on this link www.upc.ie/boardsoffer, and all activation charges will be waived and you will get a €50 voucher for your trouble.

Enjoy

Regards

Jason

Wow quick reply. Liking you guys already. We used to have a subscription to NTL digital a few years back but discontinued it because we didnt find it worthwhile. Is there any change in the lines or anything or would it basically be the same process?

Thanks Sprrratt.

Our TV product has advanced considerably over the last 2 years, driven by our ownership by UPC, who in turn are part of the 2nd largest cable company in the world. They have invested a massive amount in Ireland and continue to do so.

The fact that so many people are leaving SKY and coming to us says it all. This is being driven by cost savings by combining multiple services with one company.

We provide a Digital Plus box with a standard 160gb storage ( versus 80gb with SKY). You can pause, record & series link. Our HD box has a 320gb hard drive and is 3D ready also.

We also provide Setanta Ireland free on al packs and ESPN Sports on our select extra and max packs.

The best benefit is that if you take our Digital tv with our Broadband, we reduce the price of your broadband by €7.75 each month, so a real benefit in bundling with UPC. You can also order Sky Sports & Movies with us too.

Our top selling product at the moment is called Fibre Sport.

This includes 130+ Channels including ESPN HD, 15mb Broadband, Home Phone and unlimited Freetime calls to local, National & 400 minutes to 21 International countries each month, for just €70 per month versus €536 with SKY/Eircom.

If you want more information or want to order, do via the boards link for your €50 voucher and fee's waived, or call my team 1890 940635 and say you are a boards user and want to order via their offer. (calling any other number or ordering online will not qualify)

Hope that answers your query.

Regards

Jason

Sprrratt wrote: »
    Wow quick reply. Liking you guys already. We used to have a subscription to NTL digital a few years back but discontinued it because we didnt find it worthwhile. Is there any change in the lines or anything or would it basically be the same process?

Regards

Jason

Actually no not really. I just wanted to know if there was any new wiring etc to be done in the home. Is it just plug and play after receiving the router?

Sprrratt

If you have the box I mentioned above, (and the products are actually available at your house) it is just plug and play, the TV, broadband and phone devices are all located together in the main TV room. (All signals come in on your tv cable)

Give my team a bell on 1890 940635 if you have any more questions, they would be happy to answer them for you.

Regards

Jason

QUOTE=Sprrratt;68806948]Actually no not really. I just wanted to know if there was any new wiring etc to be done in the home. Is it just plug and play after receiving the router?[/QUOTE]

Sprrratt

If you have the box I mentioned above, (and the products are actually available at your house) it is just plug and play, the TV, broadband and phone devices are all located together in the main TV room. (All signals come in on your tv cable)

Give my team a bell on 1890 940635 if you have any more questions, they would be happy to answer them for you.

Regards

Jason

Thanks for your help Jason, much appreciated. Ive submitted details for the Boards offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Thanks Sprrratt.

Our TV product has advanced considerably over the last 2 years, driven by our ownership by UPC, who in turn are part of the 2nd largest cable company in the world. They have invested a massive amount in Ireland and continue to do so.

The fact that so many people are leaving SKY and coming to us says it all. This is being driven by cost savings by combining multiple services with one company.

We provide a Digital Plus box with a standard 160gb storage ( versus 80gb with SKY). You can pause, record & series link. Our HD box has a 320gb hard drive and is 3D ready also.

We also provide Setanta Ireland free on al packs and ESPN Sports on our select extra and max packs.

The best benefit is that if you take our Digital tv with our Broadband, we reduce the price of your broadband by €7.75 each month, so a real benefit in bundling with UPC. You can also order Sky Sports & Movies with us too.

Our top selling product at the moment is called Fibre Sport.

This includes 130+ Channels including ESPN HD, 15mb Broadband, Home Phone and unlimited Freetime calls to local, National & 400 minutes to 21 International countries each month, for just €70 per month versus €536 with SKY/Eircom.

If you want more information or want to order, do via the boards link for your €50 voucher and fee's waived, or call my team 1890 940635 and say you are a boards user and want to order via their offer. (calling any other number or ordering online will not qualify)

Regards

Jason

Jason, I have Digital TV and BB (Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb) but I'm still paying the full €32/month for the BB.

Can you explain why?

Thanks
    W.

Hi whowantstwoknow

I can indeed. 15mb broadband costs €39.75 a month when you do not subscribe to UPC TV. It costs €32 a month when you have tv, so you are receiving a discount of €7.75 a month, you are being billed the correct amount.

Regards

Jason
    Jason, I have Digital TV and BB (Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb) but I'm still paying the full €32/month for the BB.

Can you explain why?

Thanks
    W.

Hi whowantstwoknow

I can indeed. 15mb broadband costs €39.75 a month when you do not subscribe to UPC TV. It costs €32 a month when you have tv, so you are receiving a discount of €7.75 a month, you are being billed the correct amount.

Regards

Jason

OK, and spotted it on one of your website pages, but FYI: when using the calculator on the made-to-measure section, if one explicitly selects NO TV but BB only, it doesnt adjust the prices. Perhaps UPC should correct this inconsistancy..

PS: though UPC do say it upon checkout...but still dont adjust the price...

Thanks
    W.

• Advertisement

Thanks whowantstwoknow

Passed on your feedback. It does calculate the correct total when in checkout alright.

Regards

Jason
    PS: though UPC do say it upon checkout...but still dont adjust the price...

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

can i get upc digital in athlone?

i am a student (with sky ) and would like to take up offer of free 50euro & the free months as a student

is it still avaiable?

thnks

Hi battries not included

Yes, UPC can provide Digital TV, Broadband & Home phone to many houses in the Athlone town area. Go to www.upc.ie/boardsoffer and place an order, and if we can service your house you will get a voucher worth €50 after you get installed.

Hope it works out for you

Regards

Jason
    can i get upc digital in athlone?

:eek:

thanks for the quick reply!

can i avail of the student offer?

battries not included

No worries.

If you are a student and broadband is available at your home then yes, you can avail of the student offer until November 14th at which point the student offer ends (Just ask my team when they call you after you order via the boards offer link www.upc.ie/boardsoffer )

Regards

Jason
    :eek:

thanks for the quick reply!

can i avail of the student offer?

i can't get home phone or digital HD in my area,

seems a bit silly for such a small island we can't deliver on broadband & HD

*sigh* :(

• Advertisement

battries not included

Home phone and HD are not available under the student offer. It is just Digital TV and broadband free for 4 months next summer.

Regards

Jason
    i can't get home phone or digital HD in my area,

seems a bit silly for such a small island we can't deliver on broadband & HD

*sigh* :(

Hi UPC/jason

Currently use UPC-BB and Blueface VOIP. My blueface package expires in the new year. If I switch to UPC, do I need any new equipment/HW?. I have an existing ATA from blueface that enables me to use two sets of dect phones. Will these be made redundant if I switch? or can the ATA/dect-phones be reused?

Also the UPC phone, is it basically also VOIP, so if BB goes down then no phone either (as is my current situation)?

Thanks
    W.

Hi whowantstwoknow

If you subscribe to our home phone service we will provide a phone free of charge to you, it is a siemens gigaset dect phone. You will have to call 1908 to ask the tecchies if your current phone will work, I am not technical I am afraid.

The UPC home phone service is provided on an IP protocol on the UPC cable network, and your existing internal phone wiring will not be used. The home phone depends on access to an electrical supply. In the event of a power failure we advise customers to use alternative arrangements such as a mobile phone.

(You should order via boards and get a free €50 voucher www.upc.ie/boardsoffer )

Regards

Jason
    Hi UPC/jason

Currently use UPC-BB and Blueface VOIP. My blueface package expires in the new year. If I switch to UPC, do I need any new equipment/HW?. I have an existing ATA from blueface that enables me to use two sets of dect phones. Will these be made redundant if I switch? or can the ATA/dect-phones be reused?

Also the UPC phone, is it basically also VOIP, so if BB goes down then no phone either (as is my current situation)?

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Got my BB and TV installed today, very happy so far. Hopefully my voucher is in the post now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Hi Jason, I'm already an analogue upc customer and thinking of upgrading to the digital tv, phone and broadband service. I saw mentioned in a thread somewhere that we need to have a upc box to self install.
    I recently had the house rewired and my electician said all our tv wiring is now in the attic. We just plug into a socket on the wall for the tv.
    Will that cause problems with the changeover?
    Also how long does it take from ordering to having the service. I'm on southside of dublin
    Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement