Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

punk77 wrote: »
    I agree but I really hope that our owners understand this and give him financial backing in the transfer market.
    Without this backing I fear he will be another good manager in an impossible job. Another missed opportunity.

It's simple - an investments company like GFH will want to see a return on their investment ASAP. They will now realise that they cannot get to the promised land on the cheap so they will now understand that it requires investment on their part to reap the potential rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

championc wrote: »
    It's simple - an investments company like GFH will want to see a return on their investment ASAP. They will now realise that they cannot get to the promised land on the cheap so they will now understand that it requires investment on their part to reap the potential rewards.

Well that's it, we simply need to show intent this window. There is a lot of good value about but at the same time if there's someone BMD wants and they're costly, I hope GFH go all out and get the player. There needs to be an element of risk in investment.

The game against Watford could be on TV next week now due to the duel with themselves and Hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Zac Thompson gets Young Player of the year award at Bury.

http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=317797

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Have to say that the brief highlights I saw last night were quite depressing, and looked like a team going through the motions as they struggle to see out the season.

Two things worth commenting on for me - from what I could see, Austin looked to be harshly dealt with when he got sent off - there seemed to be a coming together, although the actual collision was just out of picture - possibly he threw an elbow or used a boot?

Secondly, Paddy Kenny was absolutely terrible for their second goal - header from a cross from four yards and he actually ducked in mid-dive as if he wanted to avoid getting hit!!! :(

As a former goalkeeper ( I use the word "goalkeeper" loosely) I am loathe to criticise any keeper, but in that instant he looked like a man whose heart isn't in it.

• Advertisement

Personally I think that Ashdown is far better for coming out off his line and taking a ball from the air. Maybe Paddy is a better shot stopper but stays more rooted to his line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

disregarding whatever measely money Brian McDermott is given, who would you like him to get rid of?
    Personally I'd get rid of the following (bringing the squad down to 20 meaning he would need to bring in another 10 or 12). There are few more not good enough for the first team but I doubt he'll want to completely change things around.

Paddy Kenny - a Warnock man and not good enough imho
    Paul Rachubka - surprised he's still on the books!

Adam Drury - probably to be replaced with another oldie in Harte! :D
    Jason Pearce - might be worth keeping as a backup
    Patrick Kisnorbo - will be let go I'm sure
    Paul Connolly - not good enough
    Leigh Bromby - might be kept on for his coaching role

Danny Pugh - wasn't good enough the first time around either
    Michael Brown - please go
    David Norris - we have enough average midfielders

Habib Habibou - a dud
    Davide Somma - unfortunately never fit

Goals from Saturday here

Somma has potential - he's proved that and so, on that basis, I reckon he'll be offerred some form of deal - even for just a year.

We really could do with spending some real money on a strong Prem quality midfielder.

Unfortunately, some of the sh1te we have wil be very difficult to offload. I can see us making a few Club statements about "XXX has left the club and contract terminated by mutual concent" AKA - paid off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Watford game on the box. K.O. 12.45

• Advertisement

Somma has potential - he's proved that and so, on that basis, I reckon he'll be offerred some form of deal - even for just a year.

We really could do with spending some real money on a strong Prem quality midfielder.

Unfortunately, some of the sh1te we have wil be very difficult to offload. I can see us making a few Club statements about "XXX has left the club and contract terminated by mutual concent" AKA - paid off

Stephen Ireland? He doesn't seem to be getting much game time at Villa and was their fans' POTY last season. I think he'd be a great acquisition if he would drop down and wages could be sorted.Something just tells me he'd be brilliant for us and he's only 25.

JokerD wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland? He doesn't seem to be getting much game time at Villa and was their fans' POTY last season. I think he'd be a great acquisition if he would drop down and wages could be sorted.Something just tells me he'd be brilliant for us and he's only 25.

Good call JokerD. Certainly he has the talent, but there is a big risk over his attitude and whether he fits into the team spirit that McDermott is talking of building. To put it tactfully he appears to be a bit of a free spirit! :p

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Good call JokerD. Certainly he has the talent, but there is a big risk over his attitude and whether he fits into the team spirit that McDermott is talking of building. To put it tactfully he appears to be a bit of a free spirit! :p

It surprises me that Ireland hasn't been playing much, it wasn't long ago either that he was one of Man City's best performers. I remember seeing a video from a pre-season he did, he spent a lot of the summer training and getting stronger on a strict regime. The man does have the dedication there, I think a change might be all he needs and whoever gets the best out of him has a top player on their hands.

There's good options about that we can go for, looking at all areas briefly....there's always a fear that if Warnock gets a new job that Kenny will follow. If he does then have got Ashdown and Cairns, but Cairns wouldn't be thrown in so soon. So that would leave a gap.

Keiren Westwood, was quality with Carlisle and Coventry and has only played 9 times for Sunderland. Age:28

The defence stayed pretty consistent during the year apart from switching the CB partnership for different reasons. If BMD was looking to bring in a defender then I could see him going for Alex Pearce or Matt Mills. Both played prominent roles under BMD. Mills has only played 18 times for Bolton this season and was BMD's Captain when they lost in the play off final. Age: 26

Alex Pearce, POTY in the '11/12 season, former BMD Captain and has only played 17 times in the league this season. Plus out of contract. Age: 24

Midfield has really changed about, we've got probably a slightly higher age demographic in these positions than the other positions.

As I mentioned earlier, I think if we could get Stephen Ireland then he could be quality for us. Age:25

Bakary Sako, Wolves signed him for £3m from St.Etienne, is a winger who can play up front, would be another brilliant acquisition to the squad. I think he would be a perfect player for the type of play BMD incorporated at Reading. With Wolves being relegated then maybe we could snag him. Age: 25

Albert Adomah, continuing again with the style of play that BMD may go for with out and out wingers, then this guy has those qualities. Relegated with Bristol City you can see him wanting to move on. Age: 25

These would be great additions to the squad and would give us more options and would be players from what I seem of them could be the type BMD might go for.

Strikers, BMD will have his own ideas obviously of the system he wants us to play up front, I could see him go for two different types of striker. Habbibou hasn't had much of a chance and is only a loan, Somma has injury woes, BMD even deployed Ross in a midfield role at one stage. Morison will be a different player next season and Diouf and Varney seem to play in a couple of positions. Any new manager will probably bring in a couple of new strikers.

I can see him going for Kevin Doyle, Doyle is great at bringing players in to the play and holding the ball up. Will know BMD very well and haven't gone down with Wolves will probably want to move on. Could play a similar role to what Keogh did for us. Age:29

Then LeFondre, seems like he could be on his way according to an article I read, has an affiliation with BMD and would be a different style of player to Doyle. As I said I can see him going for two different types of striker. Age:26

Beckford, only on loan at Huddersfield and I think he would comeback here and score goals. Age: 29

Vaughan, on loan at Huddersfield from Norwich, could be available, done well at Huddersfield. Age:24

As you can see from the ages, still all young and have a multitude of Championshp experience, plus they all could be available, all of them have either been on loan this season, haven't played much or are likely to want to move on.
    I took into account the potential style of play BMD might want to incorporate and players he has has before. I'm sure I'll think of more but if we got some of these I think we'd be in for a very positive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

isnt monty gimple sill on the books as a keeper?

give ashdown a chance as no 1 and gimplre as no 2 IMO. at least for preseason. see how it goes. cant justify buying a new keeper if we have a perfectly good one sitting on the bench.

SarahBM wrote: »
    isnt monty gimple sill on the books as a keeper?

give ashdown a chance as no 1 and gimplre as no 2 IMO. at least for preseason. see how it goes. cant justify buying a new keeper if we have a perfectly good one sitting on the bench.

You're mixing Gimpel up with someone else. He'd be done for handball if he handled a ball. You need one good keeper and a decent understudy. I don't think Cairns is quite up to first team yet but yet Ashdown seems somewhat wasted. But I would have Ashdown over Paddy. I wonder if BMD sees it this way - lets see who's in nets against the Hornets LIVE on TV on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

You're mixing Gimpel up with someone else. He'd be done for handball if he handled a ball. You need one good keeper and a decent understudy. I don't think Cairns is quite up to first team yet but yet Ashdown seems somewhat wasted. But I would have Ashdown over Paddy. I wonder if BMD sees it this way - lets see who's in nets against the Hornets LIVE on TV on Saturday.

I yes I was :o

what channel is the match on?

SarahBM wrote: »
    I yes I was :o

what channel is the match on?

SkySports1

Watford 12:45 Leeds United
    Championship, Sky Sports 1 - Red Button (12:45), Sky Sports Xtra (12:45)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

The appeal against Austin's red card has been turned down :

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20130430/rudy-appeal-unsuccessful_2247585_3162746

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

dreamers75 wrote: »

His too light and a complete dick...very good play mind you

Where you heard this? I heard tentative links before about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Now I know the standard of the Championship is much higher, but he is a quality player to see in the flesh. Very quick and tricky, would be delighted if he goes to Leeds once he mpves over.

Phil Hay
    More on Ken Bates' presidency role at #lufc in tomorrow's YEP. GFH C has confirmed that he'll hold the post for a period of three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

There's good options about that we can go for, looking at all areas briefly....there's always a fear that if Warnock gets a new job that Kenny will follow. If he does then have got Ashdown and Cairns, but Cairns wouldn't be thrown in so soon. So that would leave a gap.

Keiren Westwood, was quality with Carlisle and Coventry and has only played 9 times for Sunderland. Age:28

The defence stayed pretty consistent during the year apart from switching the CB partnership for different reasons. If BMD was looking to bring in a defender then I could see him going for Alex Pearce or Matt Mills. Both played prominent roles under BMD. Mills has only played 18 times for Bolton this season and was BMD's Captain when they lost in the play off final. Age: 26

Alex Pearce, POTY in the '11/12 season, former BMD Captain and has only played 17 times in the league this season. Plus out of contract. Age: 24

Midfield has really changed about, we've got probably a slightly higher age demographic in these positions than the other positions.

As I mentioned earlier, I think if we could get Stephen Ireland then he could be quality for us. Age:25

Bakary Sako, Wolves signed him for £3m from St.Etienne, is a winger who can play up front, would be another brilliant acquisition to the squad. I think he would be a perfect player for the type of play BMD incorporated at Reading. With Wolves being relegated then maybe we could snag him. Age: 25

Albert Adomah, continuing again with the style of play that BMD may go for with out and out wingers, then this guy has those qualities. Relegated with Bristol City you can see him wanting to move on. Age: 25

These would be great additions to the squad and would give us more options and would be players from what I seem of them could be the type BMD might go for.

Strikers, BMD will have his own ideas obviously of the system he wants us to play up front, I could see him go for two different types of striker. Habbibou hasn't had much of a chance and is only a loan, Somma has injury woes, BMD even deployed Ross in a midfield role at one stage. Morison will be a different player next season and Diouf and Varney seem to play in a couple of positions. Any new manager will probably bring in a couple of new strikers.

I can see him going for Kevin Doyle, Doyle is great at bringing players in to the play and holding the ball up. Will know BMD very well and haven't gone down with Wolves will probably want to move on. Could play a similar role to what Keogh did for us. Age:29

Then LeFondre, seems like he could be on his way according to an article I read, has an affiliation with BMD and would be a different style of player to Doyle. As I said I can see him going for two different types of striker. Age:26

Beckford, only on loan at Huddersfield and I think he would comeback here and score goals. Age: 29

Vaughan, on loan at Huddersfield from Norwich, could be available, done well at Huddersfield. Age:24

As you can see from the ages, still all young and have a multitude of Championshp experience, plus they all could be available, all of them have either been on loan this season, haven't played much or are likely to want to move on.
    I took into account the potential style of play BMD might want to incorporate and players he has has before. I'm sure I'll think of more but if we got some of these I think we'd be in for a very positive season.

Great post.

I think kenny will stay myself. NW looks to have really taken to the media, his book is out in the summer, I reckon we were his last club.

Matt Mills Id take in a flash.
    In midfield, Id like to see us take a punt on an oldie - Stephen McPhail. Ill confess, he was one of my favourite players but I reckon he could do a job (albeit not every week). Would get him from cardiff easy. I would also like us to go for maynard from cardiff. Given a consistent run, he'll score goals in this division.

Personally Id sell all our strikers except Ross (though I know morison is staying). But if we could get in LeFondre (though will be hard to get him from reading), doyle and vaughan, we'd be well set up front.

Kenny

Byram
    Lees
    AN Other
    Warnock

Thomson/AN Other/Hall--Austin--AN Other
    White

Ross
    AN Other

Subs: Pearce, Taylor, Peltier, Bromby, norris, tonge, dawson, Strikers

Ive been thinking about it more lately, and I wont be too bothered if we don't go up. Get the young lads in, get them playing in the championship. Get experience for dawson, byram, taylor, poleon, thomson.
    Every year we expect to go up and every year are disappointed. We aren't good enough and unless we got 10m, we still wont be. We need to build foundations, so that if we do go up, we don't come straight back down.

Get experience for the kids and get us playing some nice football. The crowds will come back (ill be going over a few times next year now bates/NW are gone) if we do this and with that, the place can become a fortress again.

Sure its England bulk him up and play him at right back.

Or for the craic condition him and play him in the middle of the park.....just an idea tho.

Sure its England bulk him up and play him at right back.

Or for the craic condition him and play him in the middle of the park.....just an idea tho.

Is it looking likely that he's heading to us?

I'm saying this from a safe distance as I'm sure there will be those dead against it but what do people think of picking up Phil Neville on a free? He may well have something already lined up but no harm in approaching him to see if he is interested. He's a player I have huge respect for and personally I'd love to see him at the club, even if it is only for a season or two.

I'm saying this from a safe distance as I'm sure there will be those dead against it but what do people think of picking up Phil Neville on a free? He may well have something already lined up but no harm in approaching him to see if he is interested. He's a player I have huge respect for and personally I'd love to see him at the club, even if it is only for a season or two.

Heard him on MOTD the other night and it definitely sounded like he wanted to keep playing, he's also interested in coaching. He has kept himself very fit and gives options at RB and at CM. His experience would be very good in the dressing room too, has the winning mentality and knows what it takes to get the job done.

• Advertisement

Leeds United legend Dominic Matteo has been appointed by owners GFH Capital as the latest Football Ambassador to represent the club at community and commercial events, fans forums and in various other arenas.

International Membership scrapped but new Bronze will probably do and is cheaper too
    membership.jpg

would be a good signing.
    However, if they go up, Id say he is nailed on to join Hull.
    Going to his old mate brucie, could be coaching there too. Would bring vital experience to a team just promoted.

Is it looking likely that he's heading to us?

His agent reckons so, pats wont say anything until deal is done same as Carrolls deal to Huddersfield.

His agent reckons so, pats wont say anything until deal is done same as Carrolls deal to Huddersfield.

Not really surprising that we're linked as McDermott has history in looking at the Airtricity League for players. Leeds fans are very optimistic about this being a possibility after seen clips of his goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mushy wrote: »
    Now I know the standard of the Championship is much higher, but he is a quality player to see in the flesh. Very quick and tricky, would be delighted if he goes to Leeds once he mpves over.

Seen in once in the flesh already this year, serious quality, but I reckon he'll need a full year to adapt, he really needs to bulk up, he looks about 10 stone to be honest.

His very skillful and knows how to play ball and is well able to pass and move and read the game, but against players like Michael Brown(of which there are many in the Championship) he'll be kept out games far too often IMHO

• Advertisement

Rumour has it that we're going to be playing pre-season matches in Northern Ireland towards the end of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Seen in once in the flesh already this year, serious quality, but I reckon he'll need a full year to adapt, he really needs to bulk up, he looks about 10 stone to be honest.

His very skillful and knows how to play ball and is well able to pass and move and read the game, but against players like Michael Brown(of which there are many in the Championship) he'll be kept out games far too often IMHO

Yeah but getting in a very promising player would be good, and Id say he'll quickly adapt. Might mean a match down south too.

Rachubka, Connolly, habibou, kisnorbo, bromby all released. Bromby will stay on as coach.
    Somma let go too, but will train with us over the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Montroseee wrote: »

he'd never pump a bit of that back into Leeds would he? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

event wrote: »
    Rachubka, Connolly, habibou, kisnorbo, bromby all released. Bromby will stay on as coach.
    Somma let go too, but will train with us over the summer

all that hype about Monty Gimpel a couple of years ago, how we had beaten a host of top european clubs to sign him....being let go in the summer.

oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Montroseee wrote: »

Thats over £5m in compo to him over the past few years, thats if Bates ever paid up. Handy pickings if you can get it:).

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

I'd be willing to give Somma another chance, on his day he could be an absolute belter of a player... As was mentioned earlier, Kevin Doyle could be well worth sounding out, it'll be interesting to see if McDermott can sway some of his former Reading charges to come our way, I'd take Noel Hunt, Jimmy Kebe, Pearce, Robson-Kanu & Karacan if they were on offer!! Not being greedy or anything :)

For anyone who can't see the match tomorrow and has Sky+, it's sill possible to record the game on the red button. Just go into the TV guide and hit record on the Hull v Cardiff game and the option to record our game wil appear.

Goooaaaaaaal 0-1 Poleon

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Top half here we come!

Zaph wrote: »
    Top half here we come!

Not yet. 1-1

Gooooaaaaaaal 1-2 Ross.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.