Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic dehumidifier

Options
  • 07-10-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please tell me where in town to get a good quality reasonably priced domestic dehumidifier? Got a slight mould/dampness problem in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Now haven't been on B&Q in a while but normally they have good range of De-Humidifiers which start around e100ish.....

Link to UK B&Q but sure similar here... http://www.diy.com/departments/blyss-10l-dehumidifier/657239_BQ.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Aldi have This starting tomorrow

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I bought mine in Argos years ago, and I've been very happy with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

There are some great deals online at the moment. I'm not sure why dehumidifiers are currently still discounted since this is peak season for dehumidifier companies to make sales. I'd have thought prices would be full RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Ended up getting it in one of electrical shops (along the river). Got a good deal, I think.

• Advertisement

Ended up getting it in one of electrical shops (along the river). Got a good deal, I think.

Which model did you get and how much did you pay for it?

Just curious. :)

Which model did you get and how much did you pay for it?

Just curious. :)

De'Longhi DEM10 Compact Dehumidifier. Online offer of €159, €179 in shop. Aidi were selling one at the same time for about the same money but I thought it would be safer to buy in a place that could give me advice.

De'Longhi DEM10 Compact Dehumidifier. Online offer of €159, €179 in shop. Aidi were selling one at the same time for about the same money but I thought it would be safer to buy in a place that could give me advice.

Ah, interesting. I like Dem 10's. Do you think its noisey?

Ah, interesting. I like Dem 10's. Do you think its noisey?

No, not all that noisey, however I have developed a very scratchy dry throat since starting using it. Not using it loads and loads but the air has become very dry, as it would.

No, not all that noisey, however I have developed a very scratchy dry throat since starting using it. Not using it loads and loads but the air has become very dry, as it would.

Thanks for that. Best get a very cheap damp meter / hygrometer (Amazon is probably the best bet) too ensure that the air doesn't get too dry.

Best of luck with it. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Best get a very cheap damp meter / hygrometer (Amazon is probably the best bet) too ensure that the air doesn't get too dry.

Best of luck with it. :)

Got my hands on a hygrometer, getting readings of between 60-75% in various rooms. My weather app says it is 88% outside right now.

Got my hands on a hygrometer, getting readings of between 60-75% in various rooms. My weather app says it is 88% outside right now.

Wow, that's a fairly high reading alright. I assume that those readings are without having run the dehumidifier in the rooms recently?

Did you get a dry throat while operating the dehumidifier? I don't think a RH of 60-75% would cause a dry throat. ;):)

What do you think of the dehumidifier now are you still happy with it?

Sorry for all the questions. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

We had this in a student house I was living in, we came to the conclusion that the de-humidifiers were sucking in the mould spores and blowing them out around the room. This is not good, I got a very bad throat infection and we all stopped using them, couldn't be good for your health long-term.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you get a decent one, it'd have proper filters to deal with mould and spores - there should be some information about it on the box or on the instruction manual. The sore throat could have been caused by the air being too dry. Having said that, I don't know whether the filters would be able to deal with viruses, so I'd assume that if you were in a student house it's possible that it'd make it easier to spread those kinds of air-borne viral infections, so if someone caught a bug, soon the rest of the house would get it.
    In any case, to make sure they're effective, the filters would need to be either washed or replaced regularly.

Advertisement