Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo trip - bit of help

Options
  • 13-10-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Heading to Sligo for the first time this weekend, couple of nights in Mullaghmore.

On the way we go through Drumcliff and my wife, the English teacher, would like to visit Yeats' grave. It might be evening before we get there and wondered is there particular opening hours, can't find anything online.

Recommendations for a night out in Sligo town for 2 couples in their 30s, maybe a bit of live music to start, disco bar afterwards, cocktails, that kinda thing.

Ideas for a good long walk on Sunday morning, there's an 8km stretch along the beach at Mullaghmore I heard, anything else, even a decent hike if there's one. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Can't help for Yeats grave. In regards to night out, I'd say Lillie's, McHughs and Garavogue are your best bet.

For the walk, theres a new path up Knocknarea, accross from the rugby club in Strand Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

thanks for pub info.

re. walk, hoping for something to set out on from Mullaghmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Yeats's grave is open to view anytime. Just walk up to the church door, it's on your left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I hope you have a great visit, but sharing just so you are aware of the "Yeats Grave" thing (if you're not already).

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/yeats-papers-confirm-bones-sent-to-sligo-were-not-poet-s-1.2288662

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Nothing new in that article, just the same stuff thats peddled out every few years to try and dilute the Yeats connection and divert the associated tourist business away from Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

as for the walk

After traipsing around Mullaghmore, this one is on your way back and well worth doing in any weather

http://www.sligowalks.ie/?pagid=benbulben-gortarowey-&menu1_topicid=0&menu2_topicid=forest-walks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

As you are staying in Mullaghmore I'd recommend a walk around the Gleniff Horseshoe, it's a stunning place.

magnumlady wrote: »
    As you are staying in Mullaghmore I'd recommend a walk around the Gleniff Horseshoe, it's a stunning place.

this looks like exactly what we want. Where do we start the loop, is it in Ballintrillick? Easily signposted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

podge018 wrote: »
    this looks like exactly what we want. Where do we start the loop, is it in Ballintrillick? Easily signposted?

It is Ballintrillick. It's easily signposted from the main road, I don't think it's as well posted when you are up there. You turn opposite Gorevan's pub (just after Cliffoney) and just keep driving. At the top of the road you'll see a derelict cottage and you just keep heading straight on.

In true Irish style if you get to the NCF you've gone too far :D although you can turn left after that and it'll bring you around the horseshoe.

Be sure to check out the waterfalls opposite the old mine site.

These links might help:

http://www.benwiskincentre.com/assets//bw_mill_booklet.pdf

http://www.benwiskincentre.com/driving-tour/

Thanks, we're looking to walk it though, so when we get to Ballintrillick we can just park up and the way to go is clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

For your night out i would recommend hardigans especially after 10 friday nites, shoot the crows and finish in lillies.. you say youre in your 30s so unless you want to br dancing with y8ung teens, forget the garavogue. Mc hughs can be quiet... by the way do you have a dedicated driver,,, mullaghmore is a fair distance from sligo town

For your night out i would recommend hardigans especially after 10 friday nites, shoot the crows and finish in lillies.. you say youre in your 30s so unless you want to br dancing with y8ung teens, forget the garavogue. Mc hughs can be quiet... by the way do you have a dedicated driver,,, mullaghmore is a fair distance from sligo town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

podge018 wrote: »
    Thanks, we're looking to walk it though, so when we get to Ballintrillick we can just park up and the way to go is clear?
    when you leave mullaghmore just basically drive straight all the way from mullaghmore itself. ignore the sign for cliffoney, you will go straight across the n15 at gorvans/abandoned shop the other side of the road and drive on (4-5km) until you get to a cross roads where the main road sweeps right. (google maps link).
    You can leave the car at the abandoned pub/shop and the loop starts if you drove straight on at that cross roads too. As someone else said there is a ncf around the corner & bridge. The other entrance to the horseshoe is on the otherside of this (only about 300m apart).

A walk around streedagh while shorter would also be nice

Thanks everyone, had a great weekend. Stayed in the hotel restuarant/bar Friday night. Done a small loop around Mullaghmore on Saturday morning, beautiful day weather-wise, absolutely stunning scenery, seen dolphins jumping out in the bay too. Went to Harrison's in Cliffoney for dinner that afternoon, into Sligo then to see Bohs win 2-0 before meeting the girls in Lilly's. From there to Bourbon and then ended up in Velvet, had great craic in all places.

Sunday then we done the 10k Gleniff Horseshoe, really enjoyed it, it's fairly handy going, had a stand off with a ram on the road at one stage which was a bit unnerving, the poor b*stard had got out of the field and there was no way back in, but we went into a ditch and let him run past us.

We will definitely be back.

Advertisement