Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammers on Daft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

also the shots show EU sockets on the walls in the kitchen, a dumb scammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Can I ask how you would get caught out on this?? Surely you would view before giving a deposit would you?

also the shots show EU sockets on the walls in the kitchen, a dumb scammer.

I thought so too, be couldnt see them close enough to be sure :)

ive reported both of them anyway, and daft are usually fairly quick to take the ads down

TheBully wrote: »
    Can I ask how you would get caught out on this?? Surely you would view before giving a deposit would you?

most of them reply with an email saying they live in the uk, if you pay the deposit they'll post you keys and if you're not happy, within a week then they'll refund, people send money, no keys ever show up.

As a bonus, the dupe-ee has also sent on a copy of a work reference, something listing their current address and a scan of a passport / licence as ID, meaning the scammer can do some fine identity theft.

Most people would, I would think. But there would be some people who would fall for it. Young people, foreign students, might think this was the norm..

During week a got a reply from another scammer, telling me he was in Sweden working, and went into detail about how we would do the viewing and transfer of money.

even sent me a link to the company he worked at...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I might give them a call tomorrow to try and bait them.

6541 wrote: »
    I might give them a call tomorrow to try and bait them.

I think il do the same

most of them reply with an email saying they live in the uk, if you pay the deposit they'll post you keys and if you're not happy, within a week then they'll refund, people send money, no keys ever show up.

As a bonus, the dupe-ee has also sent on a copy of a work reference, something listing their current address and a scan of a passport / licence as ID, meaning the scammer can do some fine identity theft.

here is a taste of what they start off with, trying to lure you...

I knew full well this was a scammer, 800 all bills in D4 ? yeah right , love :) But I emailed it anyway..

I worked in Ireland in the last 3 years and bought this apartment during my staying in Ireland.
    I'm renting the place for unlimited time but right now the flat is inhabited and will be available from 15 January.
    Before we go any further I would like to know more about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the place, for how long?
    The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 800 Euro/month. "security deposit" is also 800 Euro. And you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment
    You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated storeroom, where you can put my furniture.
    Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Carl Larsen, I was born in Sweden. I am Deputy General Manager at http://www.safeatwork.se/construction/
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Sweden even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
    But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent you the apartment from here.
    If you are still interested to rent my place i will explain you how we will do this after i get more information's about you.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank You!
    Carl Larsen

Jake1 wrote: »

I knew full well this was a scammer, 800 all bills in D4 ? yeah right , love :) But I emailed it anyway..

I worked in Ireland in the last 3 years and bought this apartment during my staying in Ireland.
    I'm renting the place for unlimited time but right now the flat is inhabited and will be available from 15 January.
    Before we go any further I would like to know more about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the place, for how long?
    The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 800 Euro/month. "security deposit" is also 800 Euro. And you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment
    You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated storeroom, where you can put my furniture.
    Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Carl Larsen, I was born in Sweden. I am Deputy General Manager at http://www.safeatwork.se/construction/
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Sweden even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
    But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent you the apartment from here.
    If you are still interested to rent my place i will explain you how we will do this after i get more information's about you.

Thank You!
    Carl Larsen
    It's quite good alright and I can see how some people would fall for it,
    Once I see that the person is not in the country though I would tend to walk away.
    There is no way to educate people on things like this unfortunately though

It's quite good alright and I can see how some people would fall for it,
    Once I see that the person is not in the country though I would tend to walk away.
    There is no way to educate people on things like this unfortunately though

Unfortunately, though, with so many little properties available, Id imagine people who are desparate might take the bait

• Advertisement

I once encountered one of these scams before on a college accommodation board, and engaged them to see what they'd say. Got back a very poorly written piece from a supposed Italian girl who's parents bought an apartment for her while she was studying in Dublin and needed a flatmate. Included details about what kind of food she likes to cook and places she's travelled...even if it had been written in proper English it would have been creepy! When I said I was interested I got sent scans of this 'girl's' passport, student card, address etc and asked for me to forward scans of my passport, fill in some official looking 'tenant' forms and forward a deposit to their bank. So yeah they catch you for the deposit then use your documents for identity theft and scamming others.

Scarily, I did a little research and emailed other users of the accommodation board at the time, and an international student got back to me to say they got the same emails and almost sent the money before being warned off by their friend at the last minute. Lots of people get fooled by these scams sadly :(

Edit: I forgot, actually, a guy I knew who came to work in Ireland from abroad for a few months got stung by one of these scams before too. Forwarded a €1000 deposit before he came, expected to pick up the keys when he arrived and obviously no one showed. Gardai couldn't help him so he was stuck for a few weeks before he could get enough money together for a new deposit.

well well well, theres another one up with the same bedroom...

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/ringsend/8-ropewalk-place-ringsend-dublin-1705662/#img=8

Does anyone know if the guards could get involved, or would they have to wait till money had actually been exchanged.

well well well, theres another one up with the same bedroom...

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/ringsend/8-ropewalk-place-ringsend-dublin-1705662/#img=8

Does anyone know if the guards could get involved, or would they have to wait till money had actually been exchanged.
    At the same time I did a bit of research on the college accommodation scammer I popped into the Gardai and asked if there's any course of action they can follow if someone falls victim to one of these scams and they basically said no, because most of the scammers work from abroad and the money gets bounced around so many accounts after they receive it it's impossible to follow the paper trail with their resources.

At the same time I did a bit of research on the college accommodation scammer I popped into the Gardai and asked if there's any course of action they can follow if someone falls victim to one of these scams and they basically said no, because most of the scammers work from abroad and the money gets bounced around so many accounts after they receive it it's impossible to follow the paper trail with their resources.

That makes sense. Terrible shame though, A deposit and one months rent is a lot of money for most people.

:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All ads reported. Hopefully nobody got caught out by them already.

Thank You!
    Carl Larsen

the worst part is, Carl Larsen is probably a real person who has been done in by the same scam, but in Sweden, if you do it worldwide you can provide legit contact details for the foreign entity to fool people in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Interesting to see where else the Images are being used. Click "search google for this image" and some of the images from the three links show up on .ro (romania?) websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Ads are down now. Well done for highlighting and reporting these scams. Hate to think of vulnerable people looking to secure one of lifes necessities being taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

I once encountered one of these scams before on a college accommodation board, and engaged them to see what they'd say. Got back a very poorly written piece from a supposed Italian girl

Yeah the poorly written English is usually a warning, as with email banking scams it's designed to sucker in a certain type of person and usually a certain social class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF someone really wants to rent an apartment,they,ll have an an agent
    to arrange viewings ,and take deposits .
    Daft should block all ads unless it has an irish phone no .
    An ad with just an email adress to contact is suspicious .
    An apartment in dublin 4 for 800euro?
    You,d be lucky to get a small 1 bed flat for 400plus in that area .
    if Someone wants to see my passport ,they,d have to arrange a viewing and agree to take me on as the tenant .
    Any ad that says email me your passport is suspicious ,like an ad iphone 6 for sale 100 euros .
    It cannot be legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Yeah the poorly written English is usually a warning, as with email banking scams it's designed to sucker in a certain type of person and usually a certain social class.

Absolutely.... People often laugh at the fact that it is such an obvious scam like the wrong type of plugs in the pic or poor english. But that is generally done by design. The scammers do not want to waste their time sucking in and subsequently wasting time with someone who has a bit of cop on and is going to figure out that this is a scam before they get paid.

They want to get in people who are gulliable and/or desperate enough that there is a good chance of them seeing the scam through.

The best thing you can do is report report report and get them taken down as fast as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Foreign students often get sucked in by these scams because they're trying to arrange their accommodation before they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Well done Jake1 for spotting, I see the ads have been removed from Daft, well done sir and also well done to the person that reported it to daft.
    I was going to try and bait them now as I have some spare time and a bit of devilment in me but the ads have been removed.

Just spotted two ads. The idiots who placed them didnt have the brains to make sure one of the photos was different from another apartment

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/santry/276-parklands-northwood-santry-dublin-1705666/#img=8

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/smithfield/52-coopers-yard-smithfield-dublin-1705669/#img=7

of course it could be a coincidence I suppose , that two bedrooms a few miles away from each other have the exact same bedroom....

:D

Anyway, hope it serves as a reminder for those looking for a home, in good faith, that there are utter scumbags out there waiting to take your money and run

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tsirke

The guy has resurfaced again, this is what I got this morning (look familiar..? :) ) Anyways, ad reported to Daft, hope they won't catch anybody. Stay safe people, in times such as nowadays, these people have a far easier job than ever. (had to remove the some characters of the URL as being a new user, I can't post links)

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest to rent my apartment
    I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in Eastmoreland Place Location 12, Ballsbridge, Co. Dublin 4

I worked in Ireland in the last 5 years and bought this apartment during my staying in Ireland.
    I'm renting the place for unlimited time but right now the flat is inhabited and will be available from 17 April.
    The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 1250 Euro/month. "security deposit" is also 1250 Euro. And you get it back, when you decide to leave from the apartment
    Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Aarl Rarsen, I was born in Sweden. I am Deputy General Manager at m.ikea.com/se/sv/
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Sweden where I am now even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.

Thank You!Aarl Rarsen
    Deputy General Manager
    m.ikea.com/se/sv/"

Tsirke wrote: »
    The guy has resurfaced again, this is what I got this morning (look familiar..? :) ) Anyways, ad reported to Daft, hope they won't catch anybody. Stay safe people, in times such as nowadays, these people have a far easier job than ever. (had to remove the some characters of the URL as being a new user, I can't post links)

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest to rent my apartment
    I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in Eastmoreland Place Location 12, Ballsbridge, Co. Dublin 4

I worked in Ireland in the last 5 years and bought this apartment during my staying in Ireland.
    I'm renting the place for unlimited time but right now the flat is inhabited and will be available from 17 April.
    The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 1250 Euro/month. "security deposit" is also 1250 Euro. And you get it back, when you decide to leave from the apartment
    Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Aarl Rarsen, I was born in Sweden. I am Deputy General Manager at m.ikea.com/se/sv/
    The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Sweden where I am now even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.

Thank You!Aarl Rarsen
    Deputy General Manager
    m.ikea.com/se/sv/"

Lol, any Swede would be embarrassed about that level of English :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thank You!
    Carl Larsen

I got the exact same response from an ad last month and decided to string them along (after reporting it to Daft, obviously). The follow-up mail is very long winded and explains how AirBnB is going to be used for the transaction. They send you on a link that looks exactly like AirBnB but (obviously) isn't, the URL being the main giveaway, it was something like http://www.travel.com-online.global/www.airbnb.com......

Incredibly scummy.

I know we're laughing at this guy but there are people out there that are going to fall for this crap. It's unreal that Daft are allowing such advertising.

pilly wrote: »
    I know we're laughing at this guy but there are people out there that are going to fall for this crap. It's unreal that Daft are allowing such advertising.
    When I was looking for a place to rent I noticed these ads tended to go up at night, and they'd be taken down fairy quickly in the morning. So Daft are quick enough to remove them, but unless they insisted on vetting every ad before it went live there's not much else they can do!

I agree these scams target the most vulnerable people, I personally know someone who fell for one, he was an international student trying to sort accommodation before he came to Ireland and lost a €1000 'deposit'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

, but unless they insisted on vetting every ad before it went live there's not much else they can do

That's exactly what they should do if they are going to host the ad.
    Adverts vets ads prior to going live on their site.

• Advertisement

When I was looking for a place to rent I noticed these ads tended to go up at night, and they'd be taken down fairy quickly in the morning. So Daft are quick enough to remove them, but unless they insisted on vetting every ad before it went live there's not much else they can do!

I agree these scams target the most vulnerable people, I personally know someone who fell for one, he was an international student trying to sort accommodation before he came to Ireland and lost a €1000 'deposit'.

That's exactly the type of people I'm thinking of. When I rented my house last I had foreign students contact me and they would have easily paid deposit and 1st month without even seeing the place so they could fall prey to this.

I suppose Daft can't vet every ad straight away but surely this guy is using repeat email addresses at least? They could filter on that basis.

Advertisement