Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scammers on Daft

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ianburke wrote: »
    http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin

After 3 or 4 emails they sent me this link to book. The apartment was on rent.ie and daft...i knew it was fake because the prices were 800 per month instead of over 2k....but I wanted to see the process involved in trying to scam - out of curiosity.

The fake page looks pretty good. I was impressed..and the reviews are all 5 stars...written in much better English than the "CEO of aerlingus.com". I can actually understand how some people may be fooled. All it takes is for one person to fall for it and I guess the job of the scammer is worthwhile.

Looking on google search shows up the same emails as the ones I've got, only the names being changed.

I listed the apartment to Airbnb now you can book it from 27 December to 27 January. After this month ,I will come to know you personally , I hope you understand and agree with that, because also for us it is the first time when we rented without personally see the new tenant.
    Here is the link: http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin
    Now you can reserve and book the apartment.
    Looking forward to hear from you soon.
    Thank You!Mauron Axel
    Deputy General Manager
    www.aerlingus.com

If that is much better english i would hate to see the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Jake1 wrote: »
    Most people would, I would think. But there would be some people who would fall for it. Young people, foreign students, might think this was the norm..

During week a got a reply from another scammer, telling me he was in Sweden working, and went into detail about how we would do the viewing and transfer of money.

even sent me a link to the company he worked at...

LOL - did he claim to work for a well-known Irish airline by any chance? I think I came into contact with him myself a while ago. Wanted to organise payment via airbnb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

ianburke wrote: »
    http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin

After 3 or 4 emails they sent me this link to book. The apartment was on rent.ie and daft...i knew it was fake because the prices were 800 per month instead of over 2k....but I wanted to see the process involved in trying to scam - out of curiosity.

The fake page looks pretty good. I was impressed..and the reviews are all 5 stars...written in much better English than the "CEO of aerlingus.com". I can actually understand how some people may be fooled. All it takes is for one person to fall for it and I guess the job of the scammer is worthwhile.

Looking on google search shows up the same emails as the ones I've got, only the names being changed.

I listed the apartment to Airbnb now you can book it from 27 December to 27 January. After this month ,I will come to know you personally , I hope you understand and agree with that, because also for us it is the first time when we rented without personally see the new tenant.
    Here is the link: http://www.airbnb.ie-booking-request.eu/booking/listing/46764e/?rent=1513087420?s=eRGFZrin
    Now you can reserve and book the apartment.
    Looking forward to hear from you soon.
    Thank You!Mauron Axel
    Deputy General Manager
    www.aerlingus.com

This is DEFINITELY the guy I was dealing with.
    If you search out his IP address, he's Spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Rodgeb

Found an advert on daft that initially looks legit, and may well be, but the more I think about it looks very dodgy. Im not certain if this apartment even exists and if you wanted to collect a load of personal data from strangers this looks like the way to do it.

The advert is at https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/apartments-for-rent/greystones/seabourne-view-greystones-wicklow-1914602/

Its advertised at below market rate for €1500pm, an apartment the same size in the same building is also advertised at €1650pm so this ad has loads of views

There is one generic photo of the outside of the building lifted from another advert for a different apartment. There is a watermark on it that says www.myhome.ie/3279140 -this is an old advert of a let agreed for €1295 ground floor apartment . The advert here says it is first floor.

No internal photos.
    Minimal Property Description.
    No Phone number.
    Only contact name for the landlord is 'Robert'.
    Incomplete address for the apartment

And the kicker is it says to contact the landlord by email only if interested with references. Some house hunters could be so desperate they might send on employment and biographical info, maybe even bank information in the hope of getting a call back and you have no way of tracing who you are sending it to.

I reported the ad to Daft. For the record I have no connection with the other, dearer apartment either.

What do ye think, am I being paranoid here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Not necessarily a scam. Wife and I are accidental landlords in that we'd both bought houses before we'd even met, so one of them is let out because it's in negative equity and it doesn't make sense to try sell it.

It's in a large village in Co. Wexford, and I've advertised it twice on Daft. First time, I put up the house number, pics of the house and front garden itself, various interior shots too, along with my phone number as a contact point. Ended up getting a succession of phone calls from local yahoos that you couldn't rent to in a million years, if you wanted any hope of your property being looked after properly, and getting your rent paid in full and on time.

Then to cap it all, after having to repeatedly tell one particularly notorious local ‘character’ that he couldn’t have the house, two windows in it were smashed and whatever heating oil was left in the tank was robbed. May have been coincidence….but I don’t think so.

We eventually got some good tenants, and when they moved out, I advertised on Daft again. This time though, I didn’t put up the house number, didn’t put pics of any identifying details, and just gave an email address as my only contact detail. It cut out a lot of the messing, and we got good tenants again before too long.

That definitely wasn’t a scam on my part. Maybe the rental landscape has changed in the meantime (this was about four years ago), but maybe the owner here has similar concerns if he/she is handling the whole thing himself/herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is very odd that there are no internal photos. It is certainly wise to avoid identifying the address on Daft. Nobody wants people coming knocking on the door at random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wouldn’t necessarily consider that a scam based on the ad. Approach with the usual caution

Advertisement