Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    What’s the deal with New Make Spirit? Is the idea that it still needs to be aged in barrels, so you effectively create your own whiskey?

It's a spirit. For drinking.
    It's poitín. It's grain schnapps. Eau de vie, Aguardiente, aqua vitae.

It's just a distilled white spirit - much like distilled white spirits made allover the world.

What's in that bottle can legally be labelled as Irish poitín.

Actually, I suspect that that label isn't compliant as it doesn't tell you what's in the bottle - "new make spirit" isn't, afaik, a legal definition.
    It needs to have a legally defined descriptor - "Irish spirit drink" , for example or "grain spirit" or "Irish poitín".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

but1er wrote: »
    Were did you pick it up for 30? Seeing ads for it all the time

Ice Box in Balbriggan is also selling it for €30

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

cadaliac wrote: »
    What an excellent assortment. How can I get my hands on this ? Was amazed by the 12 so assume the rest is near enough or better

This is what I ordered: https://www.tinytipple.com/collections/tasting-flights/products/redbreast-introductory-flight

I had the 12 last night, very nice! Will be picking up a full bottle of it at some stage for sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

awec wrote: »
    This is what I ordered: https://www.tinytipple.com/collections/tasting-flights/products/redbreast-introductory-flight

I had the 12 last night, very nice! Will be picking up a full bottle of it at some stage for sure.

Currently on offer with a whopping €3 off in obriens: https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/redbreast-12yo-70cl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Hi all.

Looking to purchase a decent bottle of whiskey, but one that I can let age for 18 or 21 years. I've a recent arrival into the house so would like to be able to mark the birth in the future. I'm assuming that this rules out the commercial Jameson's and JDs etc from the running.

Any advice on where to go looking for a bottle that would suit this need? I'd be looking at the 60e-100e mark maybe? Or should it be more?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Fitz* wrote: »
    Hi all.

Looking to purchase a decent bottle of whiskey, but one that I can let age for 18 or 21 years. I've a recent arrival into the house so would like to be able to mark the birth in the future. I'm assuming that this rules out the commercial Jameson's and JDs etc from the running.

Any advice on where to go looking for a bottle that would suit this need? I'd be looking at the 60e-100e mark maybe? Or should it be more?

TIA

A good whiskey unopened and stored properly will last a lot longer than 21 years,
    so any of the regular Redbreast 12yo, 12yo cask strength, Green Spot, Yellow Spot, bushmills 16yo would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi all.

TIA

Any spirit will keep unopened for as long as the closure will last.
    Unopened spirits don't spoil or age, generally.

So whatever takes your fancy will keep fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hi all.
    TIA

Id go for the Waterford ratheadon 1.2 in Obriens 65e as it is 'of the time' and you wont be able get it in future.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Hi all.

TIA

You do know that, unlike wine, whiskey doesn’t age in the bottle. It’s aged in barrels and when it’s bottled at 12, 15 or 21 years then that’s how old it is forever. It’s not going to improve any more with age, but could get worse if stored incorrectly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I went for the two releases from Thomond Gate Whiskey, seeing as we're born and bred in Limerick. I have them put away for the significant birthdays down the line.

Just waiting for the baby to arrive now! It's been a long day. Hoping to celebrate tonight with a drop of Aberlour A'Bunadh.

• Advertisement

I went for the two releases from Thomond Gate Whiskey, seeing as we're born and bred in Limerick. I have them put away for the significant birthdays down the line..

Good shout - something with a local connection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Celtic whiskey shop.

Nolans clontarf had it for 29e but dunno if that was a short term offer.

Lambay was still 29 there a fortnight ago, would say it’s ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Just waiting for the baby to arrive now! It's been a long day. Hoping to celebrate tonight with a drop of Aberlour A'Bunadh.

Good luck and best wishes to you all. Not a bad way to celebrate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I went for the two releases from Thomond Gate Whiskey, seeing as we're born and bred in Limerick. I have them put away for the significant birthdays down the line.

Pre-congratulations to ya!

Here's to Munster doing you a number in the second half!

So tonight, I'll be on the Irish coffees. Now, if we use Powers as the quintessential Irish coffee baseline whiskey, what should I use of the following for a bit of a change up:

Powers Gold- the OG as far as I'm concerned for the job at hand.

RB12- have the end of a bottle there that I'm willing to use, but unsure of what it will be like when lathered with cream and sugar.

Púca- haven't opened my bottle yet and haven't tasted it at all so unsure of what to expect.

Roe+Co- think it could do a job but again haven't before, but I reckon it could work.

Jameson Black Barrel- I think this is gonna be a winner.

Also open on the shelf is some Ratheadon 1.2, Bowmore 12, Talisker 10 and Lot 40 Canadian Rye, but I think they'll be a stretch.

Anyway, any opinions on my 'predicament' are of course welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thethinone

I picked up a bottle of 2019 MVR and a Powers single cask 10 year old towards the end of last year. We were sale agreed on a house at the time and I said I’d wait until we were in to open both bottles.

Sale finally completed I tried both side by side last night. I was surprised by how different the two were. Both very decent whiskeys but I think I’d prefer the spice and mouthfeel of the Powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I'm working tonight so I'd take an Irish Coffee made from Pogues Single Malt. They are something I don't really do at home but I'll have to get into them at this rate though. Let us know how the predicament goes.

So tonight, I'll be on the Irish coffees. Now, if we use Powers as the quintessential Irish coffee baseline whiskey, what should I use of the following for a bit of a change up:
    RB12- have the end of a bottle there that I'm willing to use, but unsure of what it will be like when lathered with cream and sugar.
    Púca- haven't opened my bottle yet and haven't tasted it at all so unsure of what to expect.
    Roe+Co- think it could do a job but again haven't before, but I reckon it could work.

I'd be curious whether you taste any difference under the cream and sugar.
    I wouldn't want to put anything rare or pricey into it, so chance the Roe+Co or Jameson Black Barrel.

I know on the continent Tullamore Dew is the goto whiskey for Irish coffee.
    Something 'robust' like a basic Kilbeggan maybe - works well for me in a hot whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'd be curious whether you taste any difference under the cream and sugar.
    I wouldn't want to put anything rare or pricey into it, so chance the Roe+Co or Jameson Black Barrel.

I know on the continent Tullamore Dew is the goto whiskey for Irish coffee.
    Something 'robust' like a basic Kilbeggan maybe - works well for me in a hot whiskey.

I would agree with the above. Or I might use it as an opportunity to use up the Bowmore. I got a bottle of Bowmore 10 years ago and thought it was awful, nothing like Springbank as I'd hoped.

I prefer my Bowmore over the Talisker. That said, I think I'll try the Black Barrel first.

Was hoping others had been in this 'predicament' before and had gone off-piste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Also open on the shelf is some Ratheadon 1.2, Bowmore 12, Talisker 10 and Lot 40 Canadian Rye, but I think they'll be a stretch.

Try the talisker for the craic and see what its like. The saltiness might go well with the cream, sugar and coffee. Or it might taste like absolute shyte! :pac:

Or.......you could have 9 irish coffees, each one with a different whiskey.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Try the talisker for the craic and see what its like. The saltiness might go well with the cream, sugar and coffee. Or it might taste like absolute shyte! :pac:

Or.......you could have 9 irish coffees, each one with a different whiskey.

I mean, there's only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I mean, there's only one way to find out.

Sure there's a polar wind coming on Monday too so there's a serious chance that you might struggle to stay warm, in that respect your life might actually depend on making hot irish coffee's to save both yourself and your loved ones.

A hero's work!

Someone's got to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Went with the Bushmills 10 in the latest Tesco round of reductions. It was that or the black barrel, and thought it best to try something different. I am glad I did - a nice light, smooth sip.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hoping to celebrate tonight with a drop of Aberlour A'Bunadh.

My dad was gone to bed early so he's missing out, but I'm sharing a drop of this with my mother (now to be known as Nana!) tonight. It is spectacular.

My dad was gone to bed early so he's missing out, but I'm sharing a drop of this with my mother (now to be known as Nana!) tonight. It is spectacular.

Congratulations!

Had more Weisenhoer Pils than I had intended earlier today so I only managed the first coffee now and I have to say, Black Barrel suits it down to the ground.

Absolutely gorgeous.

Had more Weisenhoer Pils than I had intended earlier today so I only managed the first coffee now and I have to say, Black Barrel suits it down to the ground.

Absolutely gorgeous.

How did you make yours? I could be tempted to try something similar tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was just about to ask the same.

Recipe pls

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement