Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDR Arcade Machine - Feasible to buy?

Options
  • 07-11-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

So one point at which my love of arcade machines and my better half's interest overlap is Dance Dance Revolution.

I don't particularly like DDR games, but she's mad into them and actually wants to get a machine once we have a bit more space.

It's another excuse for me to have a CRT in the house so I'm all for it. Maybe it's a step into getting her interested in arcade PCBs, who knows!

Now the next question, is it actually possible to buy one without going into mental money?

I'd have thought they were easy enough to pick up a few years ago, but now with everything retrogaming costing a fortune, plus the unique aspect of these machines and how they bring in a group of people who are usually not interested in the usual arcade games, I would imagine they're not cheap.

Anyone here own one that they keep hidden away behind their Outruns and Mortal Kombats?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Christ, but aren't those things huge?
    Would a PS or similar and one of the solid DDR bases be better?
    After some very very quick Googling, seems there's an entire site devoted to the subject!

https://www.ddrgame.com/metalpads.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

God the irony of me telling someone we can't get an arcade machine as it's too big for the house :pac:

I wonder is there a midway solution using something like what you linked along with a Naomi or something? Hmmm, will have a think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The closest Naomi cab is a button basher
    Puyo Puyo DA!

Remember the button basher from "Lost In Translation"?
    Konami’s "Pop’n Music" 40seconds in

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I wanted one a couple of years ago and yeah they’re very expensive and huge! You can get solo versions that just have one dance pad so that might be a bit better space wise if you wanted one

Dance_Dance_Revolution_Solo_Bass_Mix_arcade_machine.jpg

Master of the Universe

If you could somehow combine a solo pad with one of the lower profile machines like this one, although I'd say with availability it's just take what you can get!

ecfc2a4e704aafbdc5b571338df90f6f.jpg

Regarding the Naomi idea, I was thinking that you could get a Naomi cabinet, stick a console in there that runs DDR with a Jammacon and then maybe connect up one of those fancy full metal home pads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think Kerbdog might have one to sell...

Master of the Universe

If he can hold onto it until I buy a bigger spot in the next 6-12 months that would be great :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any chance you could build one yourself? There's companies out there that build high quality DDR pads. Hook that up to a PC and use emulation to play the games, the arcade hardware they run on is very modest and the home versions usually have a lot of extra tracks not in the arcade versions.

o1s1n wrote: »
    If he can hold onto it until I buy a bigger spot in the next 6-12 months that would be great :D

Are you getting out of the city ?
    Going back to the motherland ?

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any chance you could build one yourself? There's companies out there that build high quality DDR pads. Hook that up to a PC and use emulation to play the games, the arcade hardware they run on is very modest and the home versions usually have a lot of extra tracks not in the arcade versions.

Thanks for that - I'm a complete and utter noob when it comes to DDR, didn't realise that the home versions have more tracks.

That's probably the best solution for now so. I'll look into picking up one of those metal pads for now and see how we get on!
    Are you getting out of the city ?
    Going back to the motherland ?

As much as the motherland calls out to me from the winds that roll down from Bray head (!) I'll be sticking around the city. Been looking around Drumcondra/Glasnevin - so close enough to the city but potentially a bit more space for all my crap. (praying for a garage this time!!)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    !Been looking around Drumcondra/Glasnevin - so close enough to the city but potentially a bit more space for all my crap. (praying for a garage this time!!)

And a pantry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. There was one for sale in Waterford a few months ago but pretty sure the guys in barcadia bought it

I'd say a Naomi with a good pad is the way to go though.

The machines are absolute beasts in terms of size. It's only when you get a larger machine in your house do you realise how big an arcade it. My crazy taxi takes up so much room and that's not even "big"

I really want a DDR machine now too!

I got into playing one when I was in college. Usually have 2-3 hours off during the day so few of us in the class would drive to tramore for something to eat.

I'd obviously go into Freddie's and have a game or two of something. Ended up being DDR a good bit of the time. You get surprisingly alright at it playing a 20 minutes session. 3-4 times a week.

Went out there one random Sunday with a few mates and saw a bunch of teenage girls on the machine. Me being the mature 23 year old at the time I clearly wanted to show them up because they were clearly **** at the game. I definitely showed them....of course they definitely just thought I was a proper wierdo

Just reminds me of this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Butterfly upswing mix will forever be my DDR jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dav09

They're usually around 1500 pounds give or take, around what we paid. One smaller solution is if she likes Pump It Up (one extra button) and get the Jump edition, aimed at kids. It's a couple of hundred pounds and apparently runs all the newer editions of Pump it up (I'm not exactly sure how but know people who could help, probably a new PC needed), a lot of the UK guys use it but it's not for everyone. It might even work with DDR or ITG. If not there's plenty of smaller rhythm games that she might like, we have 4 or 5 smaller ones in Limerick that are great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

o1s1n just buy her a bish bashi panel and system and everyone wins !:pac:

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    o1s1n just buy her a bish bashi panel and system and everyone wins !:pac:

Sure she could just stand on the control panel and 'dance', be grand like :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

I've heard it all now,
    Oisín in his evening gown dancing to his hearts delight to a DDR game (pantry visible in the background).

Would make a good request for Jim'll Paint It! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

By evening gown I mean the Robe he admitted to wearing. Evening gown sounds like something way too kinky,
    On second thought it wouldnt surprise me! :pac:

Master of the Universe

Evening gown party in mine as soon as lockdown ends?

• Advertisement

2c7ce7e00863cd811ba20667fb2a9ffb.jpg

Advertisement