Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Spiderman Remastered

It's strange he can't crawl off the top of buildings, but can around the side of buildings. It's the same thing technically and graphically. You have to jump off and web back on, which ruins stealth a bit.

How'd they miss that, considering everything else they covered ?

Anyway nearly done with it. Will leave the DLC and Miles Morales for a long while. My Spidey senses are overloaded. 🕸️🕷️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can sprint off the top and keep running downwards can't you?

Oh, thanks, will try that next time I boot it up.

Also, maybe I need to be clearer, there is no "down" button when you are perched at the edge of a building.

Anyway not that important

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I am almost certain you can do this, haven't played either of them since the PS5 launch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought you could as well, but from Googling it seems you can't.

It does seem like it would be handy and maybe some way of doing it should have been included, but I have to admit I don't think it was something I really missed or noticed wasn't available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

With the last of us show now out, I'm itching to replay the first game again but I was holding out on another playthrough until i got the 'remake'. Looking around, it's 75-80 everywhere except Cex where it's sold out. Pity there isn't a rental service anymore or reliable swap option.

Also, I know Part 2 is very divisive but i think it would make for great telly, hope they decide to give it a go.

Part 2 would definitely translate well to TV. The game's biggest problem was the pacing of the gameplay and storytelling, but I think telling it through TV would greatly solve that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a season which occurs in the 5 years between Part 1 and 2 though, just to stretch it out a bit, let Bella Ramsey age up a bit more etc.

Great first episode of the show though. Absolutely nailed it, and amazing performances by all involved.

I'll wait until I can get the PS5 version with a deep discount.

I haven't played the game. Wondering should I watch the TV series or play the game first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I mean part 2 was somewhat fun as a game. As a tv show it would be miserable. The story and characterisations is god awful. I think if they translate part 2 I'd be happy if they strayed a lot from the source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They would likely need 2 seasons, at least, for Part 2.

Mild TLOU2 spoliers

And probably go with overlapping stories instead of season 2 being Ellie and season 3 being Abby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Oh I thought the TV show was only on tonight at 2am, nice. Got to watch that once the kids are in bed.

I played the part 1 remake recently and even though I can't agree with the price, I can't argue with it being an amazing game either.

Haven't played the game, I'll probably get the PC version. It was a great first episode, at times my fingers were twitching to press RB + LB followed by X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

She's the brunette pilot in Starship Troopers.

Looks like Playstation has added a trial for The Last of Us Part 1 if you're looking to try it out. Only for PS Plus Premium members though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

First episode was great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Played the tlou for the first time last September and loved it and loved the first ep tonight, roll on next Monday.

Oh no, another must see TV show and must play video game. This time same content ! Will have to watch and play simultaneously to avoid any spoilers 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a confidently made, enjoyable, well-acted TV show… but like a hyper-literal adaptation of a book or an English-language remake of a foreign language film, I can’t help but feel the exercise is a tad redundant. The Last of Us is probably the single easiest game in the world to adapt, because it draws so heavily on TV and film references in the first place - to the point where most of the storytelling has zero interactivity.

It’s a relief they haven’t fucked the adaptation up, and in fact have done a pretty good job on it! Just a bit strange seeing a story I’ve already experienced relayed to me basically note-for-note and occasionally even shot-for-shot in a different medium (albeit with some added and extended scenes to flesh things out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Which is only fair, as Part 2 is pretty much 2/maybe 3 games bolted together in an experience that doesn't know quite when to get off the roundabout.

Show's fun for the most part, happy Druckmann is finally getting it out of his system. Maybe Last of Us III will be a tight 10-12 hour experience again as a result.

• Advertisement

Started Dead Cells last night. Seems okay. Like most roguelike games it seems it'll likely get much better the more and more you play, unlock permanent items, know what to look for and where to go etc. The gameplay/combat does feel incredibly simplistic so far though.

Or he decides he'll need to get 2 or 3 more seasons of the series out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Either TLOU 3 is already under way or this morning Sony has kicked down ND's door this morning demanding it be made to give the show material. Mazin said it's a finite series, won't go on forever, and will do to the game story so doubt we'll get a game of thrones scenario but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭recyclops

Posted in tv aswell but Similarly to Chernobyl the accompanying podcast was fairly enjoyable with a nice bit of insight from Mazin and Druckmann regarding the transition from game to TV

https://omny.fm/shows/the-last-of-us-podcast/episode-1

I think Druckmann has hinted about TLOU3 being underway so I would say it is a certain. Assuming TLOU2 is 2 seasons, If the show airs every 2 years then it will be 6 years before we get to season 3, we should have the game by then.

As was pointed out before, apparently if a AAA game was to start development today, the next generation of consoles would be released before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just with reference to your last paragraph, the fact that its almost a shot for shot retelling of the game is probably a huge contributing factor as to why its being well received (at least by the gaming contingent - who would also skew to being the most vocal if they disapproved of it).

An awful lot of the time, with adaptations across mediums, they leave the showrunners or directors have 'their take' on a character or story, which ends up missing the mark of what made the original so popular. It can often come across as change, just for the sake of change, and why you end up with guff like the awful Doom film, where the only way they could work the pinky demon into it was by mutating a guy in a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Tbf, if it was just fan service for the gamers, I don't think it would be getting the critical acclaim it's received. They've fairly deftly walked the tightrope on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm probably phrasing it badly, but the world of TLOU and the story is interesting enough that its strong enough to stand on its own. Being fair to the game, its gameplay light - the actual combat and stealth is nothing remarkable, the story is what carries it, its probably as close to a perfect candidate for adaptation to a filmed medium.

I dont think its fan service as such, its simply letting a good story, be told in the way it was originally intended.

• Advertisement

IMO they have been working on it for a while. I think they would probably be able to get this one out a little faster as well seen as how all the tech is in place already.

Advertisement