Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Concord being delisted and taken offline. Not sure I can think of a more brutal outcome in AAA ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see what it is like if/when it reappears.

I reckon it comes back F2P, that seems a certainty, with all the battle passes and skins that come along with it.

I didn't play it, didn't want to spend money on a game that was doomed to failure based on numbers, but I heard the actual gameplay was good - so I will give it a go if/when it comes back as a F2P game.

I hope they can make good of it, as I would have faith in the developers (ex-Bungie) to create an engaging shooter. But a hero shooter that wasn't F2P in this gaming environment was a bad starting point. a F2P shooter, focused on PVP, with some of the old Bungie magic? Thats a good starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surprised they didn't try putting it on Plus first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭McFly85

Suppose the difficulty there is that there’s a significant cost associated with game maintenance/updates for live service. These games need near constant management with new content/modes/maps as well as continuous QA and game rebalancing. Without enough players and enough revenue it’s probably pointless.

Once again showing how stupid it is to go all in cost wise for these type of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,236 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the whole push they were going for was you pay for the game and there's no battlepass or microtransactions etc like the other similar games. I'm sure further down the line there would start to be a few cosmetics etc dropped in, but I think this is how they were trying to distinguish themselves from all the other F2P games, so starting off on Plus would have taken a huge chunk out of that.

Unfortunately it also meant that people weren't willing to pay to try the game when there are so many F2P alternatives. Plus the beta appeared to be pretty lacklustre and didn't draw much attention.

Concord also had the misfortune to launch around the same time as Marvel Rivals had their beta (and they have the selling point of having Marvel characters) which got a decent reception, and Deadlock being announced and having their beta (and they have the selling point of being a Valve game and Valve can make absolute bangers and will obviously have a huge push on Steam). So even players who are looking to jump from Overwatch, Apex, Valorant etc, now have other options with new games coming out soon.

It's why Jim Ryan's whole push for live service games is so flawed; by the time your game is ready to come out so many other devs have already gotten there first, and you're chasing a saturated market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Concord won't be back, it would require fundamental changes to the game itself and I don't see Sony throwing another cent at it to do that. An incredible flop that might just be one of the biggest disasters in any entertainment medium ever.

It will be back as F2P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of failed live service games, I did the irrational thing and installed Suicide Squad yesterday after getting it for free from Amazon a few weeks ago.

Booted up the first hour and the basic movement is so fun and promising it's an absolute heartbreaker when you encounter your first mass of dumb, generic enemies who you have to shoot as barely comprehensible numbers pop up on the screen. The fast-paced, agile gameplay is there and quite impressive… it's just put on top of the least interesting possible gameplay model of a live service looter shooter.

If this was a proper single player title that played to Rocksteady's strengths rather than a live service play, it genuinely could've been something very good. As is, it's a game crying out to be something other than what it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The twist ending to KTJL is up there with getting to centre of No Man's Sky in terms of the disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Cordell

One would hope that these catastrophic failures will teach them a lesson or two, but we all know that's not the case.

Hate that the discourse is around a failed multiplayer game and not the incredible games that got released this month.

There could be huge ramifications from Concord's failure though. Plenty of multiplayer games have failed in recent years, but few have bombed so spectacularly. Even the likes of Redfall limped on for about a year. And Sony still have more live service multiplayer games due to come out in the next year or two.

I'd love to know what ramifications because they seem like to any normal person to be self fulfilling prophecies of the obvious. There just isn't room for a paid team shooter in a world where so many high quality ones are F2P. Especially one that has arrived with such a nonexistent marketing budget.

I really don't think stupid decisions are going to stop being made because of moronic shareholders or high management. What I would be more worried about is how many high quality games are being released every month from small developers that are worth playing and how so many are failing.

I think it's that Concord is the latest in an ever-growing line of failures for live-service multiplayer games. With it and especially Suicide Squad, larger studios will undoubtedly be looking at their own games in production and realising that that market is no longer the golden goose it looked to be when they started production.

Some studios will absolutely still plow ahead with their plans as they may already be too deep in to change at this point, and like you say, stupid decisions due to moronic shareholders or high management will continue to happen. But the increasing length in production times and costs when the golden goose is no longer laying those eggs is something that will (and should) start to give studios pause for thought. The more of these types of games that fail (and again, as spectacularly as SS and Concord) the more studios are likely to take notice and review what they're working on.

Three little letters are the elephant in the room - DEI. It's possible that developers have leaned a little too hard in to it and are chasing an audience that simply doesn't exist, and if they do, they are so miniscule as to be utterly irrelevant. 3 very clear examples of this in action recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

See Concord, Dustborn, The Acolyte for recent examples. Not a very convincing counterpoint you make.

• Advertisement

You can surely refute it without the labels? Dustborn took 4 years of development, got funding from the EU and managed to sell an amazing 83 copies on launch day and that was it. Concord decided to throw the character design brief to a man crippled with white guilt and a virtue signalling complex and that's also done amazingly well - 8 years development, approx 200 million and it's gone less than 2 weeks after launch.

It's not a stretch by any means or "rightwing virus bongtalk" when the proof is right there in front of your face that maybe, just maybe, nobody wants to play games with this stuff included in them.

"It's not a stretch by any means or "rightwing virus bongtalk""

"Concord decided to throw the character design brief to a man crippled with white guilt and a virtue signalling complex"

Well that sure seems like rightwing virus bongtalk to me anyway….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You're so right, there's nothing at all those 3 have in common. Just 3 very close failures one after the other for no reason at all. Carry on.

I could do that but that would mean engaging in bad faith arguments and giving utter ballocks the time of day which will gain nothing. So I just called it what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it didn't fail because of the DEI boogeyman, it failed because no one wanted to play it. Sure, the money they spent paying those grifters could have been spent doing a proper market survey or a focus group, but that would only serve to pull the plug earlier, not to magically turn it into a success.

The Acolyte failed because it was boring as shíte and everyone was sick of sub-par Star Wars stuff. I watched it and I hated it because it was boring as hell. Concord failed because the release strategy was an incredible and poorly thought out failure in an already oversaturated market. Can't speak to the other one as I'm not familiar with it.

I could mention dozens of games that have diverse characters or relationships. Baldurs Gate 3, Last of Us Pt.2, Life is Strange, Tchia, etc. etc.

The Acolyte and Concord failed because they sucked.

A game as big as Concord with Sony behind it should never simply fail as bad as it did, even in a saturated market good games can find a player base. Concords problem was having the most visually repulsive characters (in an attempt to be "inclusive") in a game type that lives purely on its ability to sell skins - a fatal error which killed it out the gate (along with the pronoun stuff on top which is just **** nonsense whatever way you want to spin it).

Dustborn is really something special though, it takes real effort to spend 4 years making a raging **** of a game that reaches only 83 people (probably the devs themselves and a couple of friends).

And I have no problem with diverse relationships, the games you mentioned were excellent in their own right and the introduction of those themes was subtle and really well done. There's a very big difference between maturely crafting such things in to a story vs point blank shoving them in the players face.

• Advertisement

The selective data point playbook:

Unsuccessful inclusive game - 'failed because DEI'

Successful inclusive game - 'that doesn't count'

Maybe, just maybe Dustborn failed because even someone like myself that's chronically online and looking at videogames discourse never heard of it. And maybe Concord failed because I most people barely heard of and. Nobody seemed interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The amount of mental gymnastics required to explain that DEI must be why a boring looking game failed must be exhausting. Ever hear of Occam's razor.

Most normal people don't care about any of this, people who aren't chronically online aren't consuming info on Concord which tells them that the game has pronouns or gender diversity or whatever. Hell, like retro I'm online all the time and never knew that ****. I thought it looked boring cause it looked like Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm just tired of Marvel snark and have no interest in more hero shooters.

Pronouns are bottom of the list for possible reasons that this game sunk, the amount of people with whom that info registered as a possible gripe nothing next to the withering disinterest it got from the majority. Meanwhile they will quickly admit that TLOU2 is a great game that did well cause of its obvious quality and wide appeal. Something which was found lacking with Concord.

Even ignoring TLOU2, Overwatch is one of the most successful games in the genre and has made hundreds of millions, possibly even billions in profit. Huge array of LGBTQ+ characters.

But that doesn't count, I guess....

Ditto Apex Legends, which is even bigger than Overwatch AFAIK, albeit in a different genre.

Concord’s main problem was trying to directly copy those games and others with massive established fanbases - all without a hook to differentiate itself, a bland & derivative presentation, bizarrely lackluster marketing, a protracted development cycle that meant it was out of date before it even arrived, and a €40 barrier to entry when the competition is free.

Though I do find it depressing that F2P is the default for these kinds of games, as personally I’d like to see less predatory pay upfront models succeed for multiplayer games. Thought Helldivers 2 was encouraging in that sense (40 quid seems reasonable for a multiplayer only title - effectively half the price of a standard AAA game), but even then you can’t escape the push for players to pay for cosmetics. Still begrudge Overwatch 2 for even taking the game everyone paid for away to lay on the F2P bullshit (though the loot boxes were always obnoxious). I much prefer a game that isn’t designed around extracting money, though seems the industry has very much moved beyond that when it comes to multiplayer games (a few exceptions aside).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

"As game as big as Concord with Sony behind it should never simply fail" is a sure sign of someone who has been neglecting their video game history :) Bigger games have crashed and burned. Hell think back to ET, there was a game that almost destroyed the entire industry.

Business analytics would say that any game being released will come with an element of risk. Some less than others sure, but no game is guaranteed success. Fallout was a beloved game series, Fallout 76 was a bomb on release. Remember Battleborn by Gearbox? It was an absolute disaster that was getting sold for a fiver within weeks of release. Anthem had a ridiculous campaign behind it for marketing and it died a death.

The reality with games is that there is a number of elements behind success, avoiding a saturated market with an effective clone is one, innovation is an element but not a silver bullet. The pricing strategy is another. As others have pointed out, Hi Fi Rush was a massive success, but no doubt it's presence on gamepass was an element of that.

Representation has never been identified as a reason for POOR performance but it was identified as a potential reason for the success of movies, shows and games.

This is not to say you aren't entitled to your opinion, you are fully entitled to be unimpressed with the presence of individuals of a certain type in games and to therefore avoid them. Same as my lack of interest in soccer and therefore any fifa game. I'm not going to say it's a terrible game because I don't like it, but I can say it's a terrible game FOR ME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished Atomic Heart. One of the most 5/10 games ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

With all the concord stuff going this is an interesting take on Astrobot

https://www.thegamer.com/astro-bot-isnt-a-celebration-its-a-graveyard/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I stopped reading as soon as he started giving out about Bloodborne... get over it already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭jj880

Im going to go ahead and wipe that from my memory for tomorrow. Think I'll just enjoy the nostalgia as I play. What a downer article to be putting out 2 days before Astro Bot launches.

Never forgive. Never forget.

Although I'm kind of happy legend of Dragoon is in the graveyard.

• Advertisement

Happy I gave up so quick so! Without knowing who the writer is, if they're spoiling the game so soon to release then they're a dick.

I suppose Dragoon does need some company there, happy Bloodborne is filling that gap!

They're not spoiling the game, just pointing out that the game (as with Astro's Playroom) will contain a lot of references to past PS games and franchises, which might be a bit depressing now given how many of their great franchises and characters have been abandoned. There'll probably even be some sort of Concord reference which would have been fun 3 weeks ago, but now might just be sad.

So it depends which mentality you choose to go into the game with. It's either a fun jaunt down memory lane, or you're walking through a graveyard (which is what the article is describing).

Ah, I got ya now. Yeah, I'll be doing a nostalgia run, ain't nothing gonna bring that down! Weird view to take from it tbh, seeing it as a jaunt through a graveyard...

Well as they say, a jaunt through a graveyard of wasted potential. Sony have a lot of excellent IP they could use but haven't touched, which if you compare to, say, Nintendo or Capcom, is quite frustrating if you were a fan of those games. I did however see a lot from non Sony games as well so it's not just Sony on this case.

I just want to see another ape escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You say Acolyte. What was the DEI reason Madalorian season 3 was poorly received? Or Book of Boba Fett?

Could it be that the stories they were telling weren't very good, or interesting?

I thought Obi Wan, centred on a white male lead was crap. Cause the acting was poor, the direction poor.

I thought Andor was really good though, with a good story and direction.

Starfield didn't set the world alight. Whatis the DIE reason for that? Is it not just that traversal was poor, game play mechanics poorly implement and a lifeless universe?

Did Madame Web do badly cause of DIE? If so, what is the excuse for Morbius? I thought the Harley Quinn movie did well and was well received. But with a bunch of female leads I have to assume no one wanted to see it and it bombed?

I didn't play Concord. I don't care about the character designs. I didn't buy a PVP only game that showed it had very little public interest cause I felt there was no future in its player counts. I thought from the first trailer it didn't look great. But at no point did I attribute it to a character design. And the only comment I would make on it now is that the charater design is boring, rathen than 'diverse'. The female character with the space helmet… just looks boring.

I don't understand why people keep attributing the failure of poor movies or games to 'woke' rather than… just not being good. Though I suppose i do see that in the failure of The Marvels - as people were review bombing that before it even came out for, imo, having Brie Larsson as the lead. I thought it was a fun movie (though I hated the musical part).

Looks like Sony somewhat agrees about their IP:

I'd disagree. I think Sony has an excellent library of IP but it's being chronically under utilized as the chase a hardcore gamer demographic. They're really failing to realize why these IP exist, they were there not to sell well but to widen the appeal of the PlayStation brand outside of the usual gamer demographic and fill in gaps in the respective consoles library.

I think it's also very likely that the number of people who knew the characters in Concord had their pronouns on the character select screen is probably even less than the number of people who played Concord (which is already a low number).

People can't be put off DEI stuff in a game they didn't play and didn't know there was any type of DEI stuff in the game. Unless of course they're just constantly listening to the grifters who propagate nonsense about DEI and blame it for everything because they know negative commentary gets more attention and therefore makes them more money.

I was gonna do a big long detailed post, but decided its all down to personal preference so... each to their own. I prefer new over remake or even sequel.

I just hope we don't start getting Sony Game films, like Jak & Daxter starring Jack Black as Daxter, or Ratchet & Clank starring Jack Black as Clank, or Bloodborne starring Jack Black as the Doll….

I'm just reading that you think Jack Black would make a better Jak, Hunter or Ratchet…😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement