Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Game Pass

Options

Comments

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/956272492380737539

It's been confirmed now, the Microsoft games are staying on games pass once they're in there.
    Both tweets not entirely clear. Do they not mean exclusives will be a permanent feature, not that they will stay up permanently?

But then Failsafe's point makes it a bit irrelevant. The game doesn't get taken away from you, I did not know that.
    No expiry date. You can download as many games as you like and you have access to the games for the duration of your Game Pass subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

But then Failsafe's point makes it a bit irrelevant. The game doesn't get taken away from you, I did not know that.

If you have downloaded a game from gamepass and it is removed from the catalogue, you will no longer be able to play it even if it's on your hard drive unless you purchase that game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Both tweets not entirely clear. Do they not mean exclusives will be a permanent feature, not that they will stay up permanently?

It's generally accepted that the Microsoft Studios games will hit Games Pass on day one, and will then stay there permanently. They've been talking an awful lot about how they see it as the Netflix of games, and that's how they're treating it. Their first party games will act as the "Netflix Originals" do, and will be there permanently, while the third party games will rotate in and out (very slowly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I usually prefer having a hard copy of a game. But I have been using EA access for the last 9 or 10 months and have got use out of it. My question would be what happens in 5 or 10 years time? Game Pass may no longer be running, and people are left with consoles that have games they can no longer play! If you look at it from a collectors point of view, there is a good community of people who like old school games (Snes, Amiga, PS1, Gameboy, etc.). Do the likes of Game Pass and EA Access mean that there will be a very small community of people like this in 10 years?

BDJW wrote: »
    I usually prefer having a hard copy of a game. But I have been using EA access for the last 9 or 10 months and have got use out of it. My question would be what happens in 5 or 10 years time? Game Pass may no longer be running, and people are left with consoles that have games they can no longer play! If you look at it from a collectors point of view, there is a good community of people who like old school games (Snes, Amiga, PS1, Gameboy, etc.). Do the likes of Game Pass and EA Access mean that there will be a very small community of people like this in 10 years?

You'd be relying on Microsoft to always keep these games available. The problem comes in when licencing agreements expire and games can no longer be sold. From a collectors point of view it makes your physical collection more valuable. Take a look at this article.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You'd be relying on Microsoft to always keep these games available. The problem comes in when licencing agreements expire and games can no longer be sold. From a collectors point of view it makes your physical collection more valuable. Take a look at this article.

Yeah, the digital ownership thing is something that will become more interesting in the next ten years or so. Already, there's been complaints that you can't pass on your account (and all "purchases") to your kids when you die, at least for iTunes anyway. I'm sure that these stories are going to become more and more common in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

CatInABox wrote: »
    Already, there's been complaints that you can't pass on your account (and all "purchases") to your kids when you die, at least for iTunes anyway. I'm sure that these stories are going to become more and more common in the near future

In the case of deaths in the family it is possible to have the account transferred to another family member so iTunes purchases and anything in the App Store can be moved to another account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just bought 6 months of Game Pass on the Microsoft store online for €41.94 ..

Works out at just under €7 per month.

(on the mobile now, but will update with link to Ms store when back at my vomouer)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

(on the mobile now, but will update with link to Ms store when back at my vomouer)

That seems like a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That's pretty cool!
    16% off buying 6 separate months :)

Would love the link, when you get a chance, as all I can find is 1 month pass :(

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    That's pretty cool!
    16% off buying 6 separate months :)

Would love the link, when you get a chance, as all I can find is 1 month pass :(

Went back on the site and couldn't find it at first, thought I'd imagined it, but got there in the end.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/store/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/000B?icid=XboxCat_FeatureModRight_Game_Pass&wa=wsignin1.0

Select Buy as gift and the 6-month option is there. You can enter your email and get it sent to you.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

That's great value, thanks Fingleberries.

dor83 wrote: »
    That's great value, thanks Fingleberries.
    Yep - I was on the fence (apart from the free months I've earned with Microsoft Rewards) about Game Pass, but the MS Studios announcement and this price switched it to a definite purchase.

Went back on the site and couldn't find it at first, thought I'd imagined it, but got there in the end.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/store/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/000B?icid=XboxCat_FeatureModRight_Game_Pass&wa=wsignin1.0

Select Buy as gift and the 6-month option is there. You can enter your email and get it sent to you.

Enjoy.

Excellent, nice spot FB :)

I'd suggest that if people want this, to get it quick.
    MS mentioned a 6 month pass being made available from March, so they may have jumped the gun with this being available right now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

If I buy that now and have the code emailed to me, I assume I can just keep it until March to redeem it?

Crikey … just spotted that on the US Store it's $59.94 for six months.

We actually get a bargain from Xbox this side of the Atlantic. An historic occasion, to be sure. :D

maximoose wrote: »
    If I buy that now and have the code emailed to me, I assume I can just keep it until March to redeem it?
    Yep, you can do that (it's just a 5x5 prepaid code) and you can stack codes as well if you have an account currently running.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

New games coming to Game Pass for March:
    • Dovetail Games Euro Fishing
    • Oxenfree
    • Resident Evil Revelation 2
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider
    • Sea of Thieves (20th March)
    • Sonic CD
    • Super Lucky's Tale
    • The Final Station

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does anyone know if the one month sub that comes bundled with consoles count as a free trial? Say if I use the two week free trial will I still be able to redeem the one month pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

You should be able to use the 1 month Sub after the 2 week trial so get the trial first then use the sub

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nice one, thanks max. Should have plenty of time to play sea of thieves in that window then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nice one, thanks max. Should have plenty of time to play sea of thieves in that window then :)

Preferably while listening to some Pirate Metal like Alestorm or Rum Ahoy.

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I didn't even know that was a thing.

Was at Alestorms gig there in the Tivoli a couple of weeks ago, great concert.

I managed to get 4 months for €21 the other day.

Choose Buy as Gift on GamePass and select 3 months.
    Enter your own email address as the recipient of the gift.
    When the code arrives, redeem at https://redeem.microsoft.com and be offered an extra month free for turning on auto renewal.

4 months for €20.97 :)

You should be able to turn off auto renewal again straight away and still keep the free month.
    I'm not sure how long they will continue to offer the free month at redemption, but 3 months for roughly the price of 2 is still not a bad deal :)

Cities Skylines is coming next month, no news about any others yet.

Word of warning there is an issue atm with expiring Game Pass subscriptions removing licences from your profile.

This affects both digital purchases and disc copies. Once the subscription expires it asks you to purchase the game from the store even when attempting to play from disc, your digital copy will also disappear and will be asked to repurchase and not play or "install to Xbox".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Word of warning there is an issue atm with expiring Game Pass subscriptions removing licences from your profile.

This affects both digital purchases and disc copies. Once the subscription expires it asks you to purchase the game from the store even when attempting to play from disc, your digital copy will also disappear and will be asked to repurchase and not play or "install to Xbox".

Thats not an issue. Thats the way its meant to work. Game Pass is just granting you licenses for the duration of your membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Thats not an issue. Thats the way its meant to work. Game Pass is just granting you licenses for the duration of your membership.

It is an issue. For people who own physical copies they're being presented with errors saying that their subscription has expired yet they're trying to play from their disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It is an issue. For people who own physical copies they're being presented with errors saying that their subscription has expired yet they're trying to play from their disc
    I misunderstood what he was saying.

Advertisement