Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Flight Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So is this going to me a more accessible type flight sim for average gamers or is it going to try to cater to everyone and offer as much complexity as you want?

Certainly the trailer suggests the former.
    I'll have to dust off my old Sidewinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

This is awesome... check out teaser www.fsinsider.com :D

5uspect wrote: »
    So is this going to me a more accessible type flight sim for average gamers or is it going to try to cater to everyone and offer as much complexity as you want?

Certainly the trailer suggests the former.
    I'll have to dust off my old Sidewinder.

Who knows, apparently they are going to cater for both enthusiasts and newbies, its actually quite scary! Hope they don't fcuk it up

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

yeah i really hope they get this right ...a better version of fsx would be very nice indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Arrgh the teaser really is a teaser.

The weather and water looks good. If they could get the realism of stuff like REX and Real Weather into the main sim it would be excellent. Clouds done well in a high res add realism to all types of Flight Sim more then any other feature IMO. When you jump into a Cessna and fly around near clouds you really see their complexity and often Flight Sim programs fail to deliver on this part unless theres a third party addon.

I wonder where the aim is also..will it be customizable and appeasing to commercial pilots as well as gamers and enthusiasts?

• Advertisement

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q: What is "Microsoft Flight?"
    A: "Microsoft Flight" is a new PC game from Microsoft Game Studios. The new title will be available on the Games for Windows – LIVE service and will bring a new perspective to the long-standing "Flight Simulator" franchise. From new game play elements and enhanced scenery and terrain to new aircraft and integrated content marketplace, it is an entirely new breed of virtual flight. The Games for Windows - LIVE platform sets the stage for all your virtual flight needs while connecting you to a global base of users, content and endless exploration. Microsoft Flight builds off its heritage of deep, immersive simulation and is redesigned to make the experience easier for virtual fliers of all interests and skills.
    Q: How does “Microsoft Flight” differ from “Flight Simulator?” Why the new name? What’s changed?
    A: With “Microsoft Flight” we’re approaching the virtual flight genre from the ground up, with the focus on the universal appeal of the experience of Flight. We believe the simplicity of “Microsoft Flight” perfectly captures that vision while welcoming the millions of existing Flight Simulator fans. The new “Microsoft Flight” retains the full fidelity simulation longtime fans have come to expect while offering all players a whole new look and feel, a wide range of new game play and challenges, persistent experiences and social connectivity.
    Q: How does Games for Windows – LIVE factor in?
    A: Games for Windows – LIVE introduces a new level of connectivity to virtual flight, enhancing both the social and game play experiences of the title. Content is updated virtually. You can fly solo or join an entire global flight community online. You can easily connect with and facilitate flight experiences with your friends. The addition of Games for Windows - LIVE creates an ubiquitous virtual world of flight that offers easy and engaging access to the magic of flight for all.
    Q: Who is developing “Microsoft Flight” now that ACES is gone?
    A: “Microsoft Flight” is being developed internally at Microsoft by a team that includes many of the same creative minds that helped deliver countless entries in the “Flight Simulator” franchise.
    Q: Why did Microsoft shut down ACES Studio last January?
    A: Microsoft Game Studios is always evaluating its business model to determine what is best for both gamers and the company. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to close ACES Studio, but we feel the 2009 closure helped us better align with our goals and long-term development plans. "Microsoft Flight" is being developed by many of the same creative minds that shaped "Microsoft Flight Simulator," and we're excited about delivering a new take on this classic franchise.

New video can be found on www.microsoft.com/games/flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

They're not giving much away are they? obscure videos! not even a glimpse! I wonder how far they have developed this?when can we expect it to be released? 2011 ,2012?:(

Finally a half decent video showing the quality of the graphics in more detail:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Still annoyingly short and undemonstrative, i guess its still a long way away. Ground scenery looked nice with detailed airport (taxyway markers, fencing etc), aircraft allmost looks to the quality of some payware addons. Could be a good sign of the quality to come.

I really hope they improve the performance of this version. Many many people are still using FS2004 several years after FSX was released due to the rubbish frame rates on mid-range machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

pclancy wrote: »
    I really hope they improve the performance of this version. Many many people are still using FS2004 several years after FSX was released due to the rubbish frame rates on mid-range machines.

I built a machine 2 years ago with a core 2 quad 6600 ,nvidia 8800gtx and 8gb of ram and fsx was still rubbish on it.The frame rates improved drastically when I migrated to windows 7 ultimate 64 from vista ultimate 64 ,but still rubbish tbh.Every other game is able to be played with all the details maxed out! whats even more confusing is the fact fsx was released in 2006.What the hell did they think people would be playing it on? The CRAY-CX1? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

there is feck all for fsx on flight sim.com and the likes, prob be even less on this!

does anyone know if you can convert fs9 planes to fsx?

pclancy wrote: »
    Finally a half decent video showing the quality of the graphics in more detail:

Still annoyingly short and undemonstrative, i guess its still a long way away. Ground scenery looked nice with detailed airport (taxyway markers, fencing etc), aircraft allmost looks to the quality of some payware addons. Could be a good sign of the quality to come.

It looks exactly the same as FSX :rolleyes:

Some more FAQs and a few more screenshots now on the site. Again looks just like FSX with some 3rd party scenery. I bet this is going to turn out like the way Windows 7 was a proper release of Windows Vista. "Flight" may turn out to be FSX with all the performance bugs fixed :)

From http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

NEWS FROM THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 — Welcome to News from the Development Team!
    Welcome! We’ve created this section to provide news and updates direct from the Microsoft Flight development team. We’ve been getting all your emails and comments and are creating this central point of contact to respond to your questions. Currently, we’re still early in the development process, so there are many things not yet ready for detailed discussion. We’ll address what we can for now and will provide more in-depth information over time.

Since the very first introduction to Microsoft Flight at Gamescom back in August 2010, we’ve received a tremendous response from both new and longtime Flight Simulator fans. We truly appreciate the warm welcome back. For this inaugural “News from the Development Team” update, we want to give you some context for our new direction. For starters, we’re still some time away from launching the product — far enough out that we are currently unable to provide any details, such as the launch date. We apologize for any frustrations this may cause. We can’t wait, either, to deliver this new experience to all of you! We’re delighted to be able to provide a view into our game at such an early time and to share our progress as we get closer to finalizing the product. We’ve never reached out this early in the development cycle before, so hang in there, and we hope you enjoy the sneak peek.

A number of you have asked, “Why did you drop ‘Simulator’ from the title of the game?”

In addition to the FAQ on this topic, we want to directly address the concern that by dropping the “Simulator” from the name, we’re dumbing down the experience. Quite the contrary! We’ve developed on the “simulation” aspect for many years and have no intention of losing that legacy. What we’re doing now is improving the total experience while building on this legacy, enhancing the enjoyment for all who share a passion for flight. The more people who join us in the Flight experience, the greater the opportunity we’ll have to do even more.

Many of you are concerned that because we want to appeal to a wider audience, we must be building an arcade game.

We don’t need to create an arcade game to welcome a wider audience. But we do need to improve the total user experience if we’re to be successful in welcoming new audiences into the experience of Flight. The passion and fascination of flight is powerful, with so many different aspects to aviation and different levels of enjoyment to experience. There is distinct value and strength to be gained by welcoming a wider audience, and we can’t claim to have done the best job of it in the past.

What does appealing to a wider audience mean?

It means improving the user-interface experience, achieving better performance on today’s hardware, providing more focused challenges for people who aren’t quite sure what to do next, and introducing more persistent experiences for people who return often. It also means keeping alive the freedom to go where you want, when you want, and to do what you want. Regardless of their hardware power, piloting experience, or level of interest, many people have enjoyed the traditional flight-simulation experience as a solitary activity. We see a compelling social aspect to the experience inherent in the fun, and we need to better enable and support this dynamic to strengthen the entire Flight experience for everyone.

Based on the previous webisode, we’ve heard, “This doesn’t look any different from FSX!”

As we said in the introduction, we’re still early in the development cycle, so the fact that you comment on the similarity to FSX is great! This comment alone should ease some of the arcade concerns. Please follow along with our progress as we continue to release more webisodes, screenshots, and additional information. In the end, we hope that you’ll have a great time looking back at these early samples and being part of the evolution. Thank you for all your enthusiasm and support!

If you want to get advanced notice of updates to this section and the website in general, please sign up for our mailing list at http://newsletters.msn.com/Insite.aspx?SNID=2893.

Thank you,
    The Microsoft Flight Development Team

If they finally implement cloud shadows, I will be impressed :)

Some new images have been released: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Still nothing we haven't seen before in FSX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

New "Webisode" not revealing much but the graphics are looking amazing! Probably running on some super computer do!

: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

The GFX look like they are still on par with FSX

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

The GFX look like they are still on par with FSX

Have you actually compared them? If you search around I think you'll find the graphics are far superior

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto

Is there anywhere where they show the specs they're running on though?
    Could be deceiving, sadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭CommuterIE

New images were released for March...

Picture four of the buildings and airport look great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I think you guys should have a look at X-Plane 10 also, I don't think Microsoft flight is going to be based on a simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

MS Flight will definitely still cater for the core sim market ;). And while X-Plane has come on in leap and bounds it still lags behind FSX never mind Flight when it comes to scenery and addons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

wonder will one be able to make water landings in a jet liner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hi everyone, just letting you know that there's a new video on the website.

9 new images up on the website.

Also look at the weather improvements in the latest news update. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Even more new screenies up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Hmm, for that level of detail, its going to be prerenderex, so say goodbye to seamless global travel, oh wait... they apparently aren't even doing the whole world.
    My suspisions that this is more game, than sim are rising.

(for information, your weather can look like that already, with shade and activesky evolution :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Firekitten wrote: »
    My suspisions that this is more game, than sim are rising.

As far as MS Flight is concerned, I'm still waiting for even a morsel of steak to go with all the sizzle.

I've seen pretty videos and pretty screenshots; of Hawaii, apparently. What I haven't yet seen or read is even one compelling reason why I should buy this when it comes out, not one, so consider me utterly underwhelmed.

Stork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

There are rumours that they will have an App store built into it for managing addons.The likes of PMDG are obviously very cautious because this could seriously change the way the addon community and companies operate.

The pictures look fantastic, but they recommend an i7 processor just to run it out of the box :confused:

Advertisement