Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty

Options
  • 03-09-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭

I just got summoned for this last week. Again. A couple of years ago I got it for the first time and showed up at the central criminal court, and lo and behold they put me on the jury for that whole Sean Fitzpatrick thing. When we came to the first day of the trial the judge asked me to present myself and then said I was excused. I asked the usher why and he said something about a junior counsel having met me socially before, or something. It's actually a good thing that happened because it turned out I had worked with one of the main witnesses before and just wasn't listening when they asked if we knew any of the witnesses. I never found out who it was that knew me. Thank God I was thrown off though as the case ended up being the longest one in Irish legal history, 6 months of showing up to court at the far end of town.
    Has anyone else been drafted? Share your jury stories here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If I'm in court, I'm on the opposite side of the jury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

They wanted me for a pretty serious one. I had just started a new job, so I got my employer to write me a letter saying I felt I was going to miss out on essential training and that i was far too young for judging (18 y.o.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I've never been called up. I'd find a way out of it if I was.

I can't remember who said it originally, but when you go on trial, you're essentially putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm exempt

Cos I know every Fu ker is guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

Show up with a MAGA hat. You won't even be picked for your own funeral wearing one a them things.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Drugs case years ago. Lad convicted over a drugs haul worth a couple of million. Daughter was in the car with him when they were busted, so it was her trial.

Two things didn't sit well with me.

(1) The prosecution's case was absolutely appalling, and was presented even worse. I always thought if a case went to court, it was likely the prosecution had a strong case. Definitely not in this instance. The defence tore apart the forensics team at one point.

(2) Fellow jurors were more interested in getting home. A couple of them said as much, saying they'd "vote" whatever the rest of us did so we could leave as quickly as possible.

Anyway, the judge instructed us that she was throwing the case out after a few days so we didn't have to decide in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I'd just refuse to go, f*ck that sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd just refuse to go, f*ck that sh*t

If I remember correctly, if you do show up you're unlikely to be picked for a jury anyway, and then you can just give any excuse to the judge like I'm going on holliers and the judge lets you go.
    I showed up for the Seanie Fitz trial because I was sick to death of my job at the time and wanted a break, but I'm still so glad I was trun off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭gifted

On jury duty a few years ago....first day in room under the court and a garda was taking our phone numbers ....all bar one of us called out our mobile numbers and then this chap called out his house number...we all looked at him stupid including the garda....most of our deliberations were about this buck who had no mobile lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just a quick one.. Sau you were a jurour and like OP said, if you know one of the witnesses you must ask to be excused by the judge.. But.. Do you get a list of witnesses before the start of the trial or could you be 4 days into a trail and then a witness you recognise could take the stand and only then would you realise you'd have to ask to be excused?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Got one of those letters a couple of years back. You are summoned to Trim court for jury selection. Am I fcuk summoned for anything. Did not reply or do anything. People making up excuses like 5 year olds. Nothing will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I was called for jury duty. I was selected on the last day and was sworn in. Turns out a barrister made a mess of the paperwork and the case was delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just a quick one.. Sau you were a jurour and like OP said, if you know one of the witnesses you must ask to be excused by the judge.. But.. Do you get a list of witnesses before the start of the trial or could you be 4 days into a trail and then a witness you recognise could take the stand and only then would you realise you'd have to ask to be excused?

I'm pretty sure they asked us if we know them and I did know one guy to a certain extent but just wasn't paying attention. I am the type of idiot they put on juries ffs. When I say I knew him I worked in the same office a couple of times and spoke to him a few times, but that's more than enough to be excused from jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

.anon. wrote: »
    I've never been called up. I'd find a way out of it if I was.

I can't remember who said it originally, but when you go on trial, you're essentially putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

That is the problem though, it is seen as perfectly acceptable to dodge jury duty however you can so all that is left is a pool with an unnaturally high % of dimwits and wasters.

Of course wuth the clown courts we have here chances are all that will happen is your time will be wasted for nothing anyway; go to the trouble of putting your life on hold listening to blowhard barristers for a week or two, dilligently examine all the evidence, make a decision then shuffle off while the judge gives a scumbag with 3 figure previous another suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I got the fifth call last week.

That was after an excusal in 2018 with medical evidence due to my deafness. Served before the deafness though, but was not called. that was in 2006 and I am not a member of the Defence Forces for the record.

Did everything I could to inform them now but nothing in response at all. So my OH who has form said to just turn up on the day and say your piece to the Court Clerk and leave.

I would not be able to hear proceedings at all. And that would not be fair to anyone.

I was called up once but couldn't go as I was penciled in for surgery on the same day so was excused. Pity as I'd like to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

I done it last year, really enjoyed it. The case itself wasnt a serious one so I suppose it could be a different story if it was a heavy one. Few days off work and free dinner ha. Good mix of people on the jury we had some laugh and also argued with each other about the case. If I got called again I would have no problem doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I knew of the accused and thought he/she was guilty /innocent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

Does the belief in jury nullification exclude you from being selected for a jury in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I got excused because of health issues.

They should do it all online if you got the accessibility, which seems to be everywhere. Just video zoom the trial straight to your living room sitting in your pajamas eating toasted sandwiches of your own filling choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The Irish legal system - having your fate decided by 12 men & women who weren't clever enough to get out of jury duty...

;)

greasepalm wrote: »
    I got excused because of health issues.

Apparently they destroy those records, so you have to start all over again if recalled and pay for the reports, again.

I think they will be chasing me for the E500 fine, but I have done my bit. I really could not give good cognisance to the proceedings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Got a letter about jury duty, got a letter from my employer about how essential I was at that particular time, got out of jury duty.

Cracking story I know.

Good luck if you are self employed and try to get out the f**king thing. The business I'm in, if I was paid everything I'm owed by bastard solicitors and barristers I could gladly go on Jury duty the rest of my life. C**ts.

buried wrote: »
    They should do it all online if you got the accessibility, which seems to be everywhere. Just video zoom the trial straight to your living room sitting in your pajamas eating toasted sandwiches of your own filling choice.

Well to be fair to you most proceedings are open to the public,

The jury on the other hand are corralled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

buried wrote: »
    Good luck if you are self employed and try to get out the f**king thing. The business I'm in, if I was paid everything I'm owed by bastard solicitors and barristers I could gladly go on Jury duty the rest of my life. C**ts.

Who wouldn't want to drive a nice hearse though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Due to go in a few weeks. Very much looking forward to it, be a nice break from work, even if I don't get selected

• Advertisement

Who wouldn't want to drive a nice hearse though?

Undertakers have no problems getting paid.

Advertisement