Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google is messing with your search algorithms

Options
  • 10-10-2019 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

As pointed out by James O Keefe and Project Veritas google was already manipulating it's search algorithms because the algorithms themselves were sexist/racist apparently. Google quickly changed many of the ones pointed out though.

For example; most CEO's are male. When you do a search for CEOs it used to bring up mostly men. Google and others argue this is sexist because it does not give women an idea that they can also be CEOs.

I was just watching an interview with Douglas Murray where he points out new ones(I'm sure to be fixed soon by google).

Just do a search on google images for:

"Gay Couples"
    "Straight Couples"
    "Black Couples"
    "White Couples"

Why is it black people and Asian people are 'allowed' to see couples of themselves but white people are not?

At least with the CEOs it made some sense... This seems to be the silicon valley elite deciding what is hate and what is not and applying it arbitrarily and dangerously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just do a search on google images for:

"Gay Couples"
    "Straight Couples"
    "Black Couples"
    "White Couples"

You are grand thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Boggles wrote: »
    You are grand thanks.

Black couples brings up black coupless.
    Asian couples brings up Asian coupless.
    White couples brings up mixed couples.

This is the interview I was listening to. starts 23mins11seconds

"It doesn't occur to most people that when you type something into a search engine, what your getting back isn't true, or isn't real, or isn't representative of what you wanted to get" -Douglas Murray

Where should this go on the list of things I give an actual fúck about?

You need to get a hobby lad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Black couples brings up black coupless.
    Asian couples brings up Asian coupless.
    White couples brings up mixed couples.

Eh the top results show mixed couples because they're all linking back to your conspiracy theory

Still getting mostly men when I google ceo by the way

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Retarded thread. Search algorithms work based on key words. If you type in ‘couple’ youll see theyre all white because this is the default. Adding in ‘white’ inserts tags based on race and shows people from different races.

This thread highlights the stupidity of anyone who buys into the google conspiracy sh*te Gemma O’Doherty rambles on about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Retarded thread. Search algorithms work based on key words. If you type in ‘couple’ youll see theyre all white because this is the default. Adding in ‘white’ inserts tags based on race and shows people from different races.

This thread highlights the stupidity of anyone who buys into the google conspiracy sh*te Gemma O’Doherty rambles on about

Yeah it's super white if you just do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Screen-Shot-2019-10-10-at-15-13-27.png

This is what I get when I type in 'White Couples'

Maybe Gemma was on to something

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

You are grand thanks.

You don't need to come into threads you aren't interested in to tell us, thanks

Eh the top results show mixed couples because they're all linking back to your conspiracy theory

Still getting mostly men when I google ceo by the way

My conspiracy theory? Did you do a google search for 'white couples'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Ballso wrote: »

I enjoyed his contribution :)

But Google "manipulating it's search algorithms" is surely Google's job.

I manipulate my algorithms all the time :)

• Advertisement

This is easy to point out with race/gender etc.. but imagine when we can't as easily point to how the algorithm is corrupting what we want to search for?

Is no one upset that this is being done?

By the way I'm mixed race and not white if that helps anyone's morale compasses.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I enjoyed his contribution :)

But Google "manipulating it's search algorithms" is surely Google's job.

I manipulate my algorithms all the time :)

What do you mean when you say manipulate? You don't seem to be using it correctly.

Sterling contribution yourself.

But still, no I'm not googling "Gay Couples" because some re-reg has too much time on their hands and has CT'd themselves retarded.

This is easy to point out with race/gender etc.. but imagine when we can't as easily point to how the algorithm is corrupting what we want to search for?

Is no one upset that this is being done?

By the way I'm mixed race and not white if that helps anyone's morale compasses.

Google has in general, gone to the dogs as a search engine. Its quite often now when I cannot find what I'm looking for.
    Topics such as film criticism/theory for example, I often search for this and almost always get results from vacuous mainstream magazine articles rather than serious articles (which I used to always get)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

What do you mean when you say manipulate? You don't seem to be using it correctly.

To manipulate an algorithm I presume you mean alter/edit?

What is the harm people searching for pictures of straight couples?:confused:

What is the harm people searching for pictures of straight couples?:confused:

Strangely, searching for 'straight couples' brings up quite a lot of Gay couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yeah when you just type "couples" its mostly white people

Sterling contribution yourself.

But still, no I'm not googling "Gay Couples" because some re-reg has too much time on their hands and has CT'd themselves retarded.

Youre a great lad altogether aren't you? Great for you to have boards.ie to prove to yourself and everyone else how wonderful and right-on you are every day.

Anyway, as technology becomes more and more prevalent in our lives it's important to understand the lenses we view the world through. I don't particularly buy into this example and frankly think deliberate manipulation of algorithms by the far right is a much more pressing issue at the moment.

Strangely, searching for 'straight couples' brings up quite a lot of Gay couples.

Everyone gets different results. Which is kind of the point.

• Advertisement

sk8erboii wrote: »

Obviously you are oblivious to "machine learning fairness" probably willfully so.

Your opinion is ignorant.

Youre a great lad altogether aren't you? Great for you to have boards.ie to prove to yourself and everyone else how wonderful and right-on you are every day.

Anyway, as technology becomes more and more prevalent in our lives it's important to understand the lenses we view the world through. I don't particularly buy into this example and frankly think deliberate manipulation of algorithms by the far right is a much more pressing issue at the moment.

What do you mean by this, as in how do they deliberately manipulate algorithms?

Everyone gets different results. Which is kind of the point.

straight-couples.jpg

I bet everyone has this same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This thread haz the Dumb.

jimgoose wrote: »
    This thread haz the Dumb.

Oh so you must know what ML fairness is, how it is implemented and maybe you can explain the results we are seeing?

Please do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oh so you must know what ML fairness is, how it is implemented and maybe you can explain the results we are seeing?

Please do tell.

It's already been explained to you. The word "white" is generally only mentioned in data/metadata associated with articles and pictures on/of mixed-race couples. And ML "fairness" is generally implemented by bearded dorks beavering away making stupid machines even stupider. And I'd know! :D

Why, what do you actually think is going on - Google et al going out of it's way to try to make us gay/black/piebald/whatever? Why on Earth would they do such a thing?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

"Google is messing with your search algorithms"

Google is messing with their search algorithms, which they own. And I'm sure they update them daily, as you would.

What's supposed to be the issue here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Even on youtube it happens, it's like there are only 20 videos on youtube, as they are suggested to me over and over. Would be great to see actual youtube, not my version.

What do you mean by this, as in how do they deliberately manipulate algorithms?

Plenty of ways. There are bot farms using machine learning to generate social media content, analysing the responses and constantly refining based on the level of engagement etc.

Technology can be used for nefarious purposes, dismissing corporate and political manipulation just because it happens to align with a particular belief system would be a mistake.

This stuff should be thought in schools I think. You can see how hard the older generation fall for it, coming from a place where they don't understand the tech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Actually thought the OP was having a laugh, so just now put 'straight couples' in the googlebot box, and whola this is top of the 1st results:

XyqNjcQ.png

It's no longer great (or acceptable via Google) to be straight.
    Down with the straights!

Advertisement