Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man phones in bomb threat to stop girlfriend missing flight

Options
  • 25-05-2015 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

A man made a bomb threat to a busy airport in a bid to stop his girlfriend missing her flight, it's been reported.

The 33-year-old is alleged to have phoned Bordeaux-Mérignac airport in France claiming "there is a bomb, there is a bomb" while his girlfriend was stuck in traffic.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-made-airport-bomb-threat-5757906

What an idiot. I mean, what kind of person even thinks of doing something so stupid?

"Ah honey, your running late getting to the airport. I know! I'll ring and tell them there's a bomb". Genius!

Potentially a pretty costly lesson learned for him as:
    He could face two years behind bars and a fine of up to 30,000 Euros, or £22,000.

I seriously hope he is fined, especially given the airport had to be sealed off and searched, so for the disruption and distress he caused, only really fair that he pays.

Comments

Imagine the terror he caused people in that airport. People with their little kids and families. :(

What a plonker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Well she is not flying anywhere now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Candie wrote: »
    Imagine the terror he caused people in that airport. People with their little kids and families. :(

What a plonker.

Yep, I mean seriously self-centred to the extreme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

Well if he is to learn anything from this it should be that if you are aiming to shut down an international airport and cause millions of euro of disruption it might not be a good idea to use your own phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Happens more often than you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-made-airport-bomb-threat-5757906

What an idiot. I mean, what kind of person even thinks of doing something so stupid?

"Ah honey, your running late getting to the airport. I know! I'll ring and tell them there's a bomb". Genius!

Potentially a pretty costly lesson learned for him as:

I seriously hope he is fined, especially given the airport had to be sealed off and searched, so for the disruption and distress he caused, only really fair that he pays.

Fined?

****ing idiot should get 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What a great way to, slightly in his mind, delay a flight. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shows commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Fool, I hope the courts throw the book at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Fined?

****ing idiot should get 5 years.

Let's not over react. A hefty fine will be enough to teach this guy a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

No overreaction? Have you seen what forum you're in?

And a prison sentence will send a clear message to others, imagine the amount of disruption he has caused thousands of others due to being a complete tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

It's not just about him. It's about other future fcuktards that think it's ok to call in a hoax bomb threat.

Fines are not a strong enough deterrent.

jonny666 wrote: »
    No overreaction? Have you seen what forum you're in?

I see what you mean with the following replies
    And a prison sentence will send a clear message to others, imagine the amount of disruption he has caused thousands of others due to being a complete tool.
    It's not just about him. It's about other future fcuktards that think it's ok to call in a hoax bomb threat.

Fines are not a strong enough deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Disruption. He caused upset and disruption. Not death or injury. People that kill people due to dangerous or wreckless driving don't even go to prison half the time. A fine will do. Prisons are over stocked as they are.

So you think he should get a slap on the wrist for the disruption he caused thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So you think he should get a slap on the wrist for the disruption he caused thousands?

He's not the Messiah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Bleeding heart liberal here (according to some) and I say he should get more than five years.

engol wrote: »
    Disruption. He caused upset and disruption. Not death or injury. People that kill people due to dangerous or wreckless driving don't even go to prison half the time. A fine will do. Prisons are over stocked as they are.

Awwww the poor chappy

Let's not punish him he is misunderstood, let's all give him a hug and 2 weeks in the Bahama's if he promises to never be a bad boy again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

I guess freedom of speech is not absolute.

• Advertisement

Awwww the poor chappy

Let's not punish him he is misunderstood, let's all give him a hug and 2 weeks in the Bahama's if he promises to never be a bad boy again :rolleyes:

I said a fine. Not a hug and a holiday.

You can't throw everyone in prison. They don't all fit.

It is idiotic to think a nominal fine would suffice as punishment for a bomb hoax.

You obviously have zero knowledge of emergency procedures, states of readiness, security protocols or what it's like to attend an emergency situation.

It's not good enough for people to decide it's ok to set an emergency response into motion for illegitimate circumstances.

There is nothing excusable about that situation and a simple fine is not a deterrent.

I said a fine. Not a hug and a holiday.

You can't throw everyone in prison. They don't all fit.

I would make an exception and find room for him.

It is idiotic to think a nominal fine would suffice as punishment for a bomb hoax.

You obviously have zero knowledge of emergency procedures, states of readiness, security protocols or what it's like to attend an emergency situation.

It's not good enough for people to decide it's ok to set an emergency response into motion for illegitimate circumstances.

There is nothing excusable about that situation and a simple fine is not a deterrent.

Who said nominal? The numbers in the op were in the region of €30k. Who calls €30k nominal!?

Who said nominal? The numbers in the op were in the region of €30k. Who calls €30k nominal!?

It's not nominal, I agree. The article states "Up to €30,000". This will depend on the mans financial circumstances and more than likely will end up being a nominal amount and not the maximum of €30,000.

It's not nominal, I agree. The article states "Up to €30,000". This will depend on the mans financial circumstances and more than likely will end up being a nominal amount and not the maximum of €30,000.

Well he most likely wont get 5 years in prison either for that matter. Plus, if he did, it would cost the taxpayer more than he was worth to keep him there. He'd be less likely to have earning potential in the future, costing the exchequer further, and at the end of the day, no purpose is served. I say fine him 30k and take it from him in penalties over the cost of his future career if he can't afford to pay up front. That'll learn him.

I said he should get a hefty fine.

Run along now if you are going to imagine things that I say.

I said he should get a hefty fine.

Run along now if you are going to imagine things that I say.

So a slap on the wrist basically.

So a slap on the wrist basically.

A fine of multiple thousands is a slap on the wrist. Ok, you have turned me. Send him to the guillotine. Set an example.

• Advertisement

Well he most likely wont get 5 years in prison either for that matter. Plus, if he did, it would cost the taxpayer more than he was worth to keep him there. He'd be less likely to have earning potential in the future, costing the exchequer further, and at the end of the day, no purpose is served. I say fine him 30k and take it from him in penalties over the cost of his future career if he can't afford to pay up front. That'll learn him.

Agreed.

Advertisement