Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the plan for 2010 ?

Options
  • 02-01-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Following on from the 'What did you learn in 2009' thread ...

What's the plan in 2010 ?

For myself I'll hopefully be looking East.
    Well, as far as London anyways !

I also want to get my DAW chops up a bit and have acquired Logic and , hopefully, Pro Tools next week with as many Plug-Ins as I can blag.

I'm also looking forward to doing some more music with The Evora ..... if they can get their finger out :cool:

I might even put together a project room ..... I won't call it a 'studio'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

we're planning on a single a month released online with a monthly webgig. no idea how it'll pan out but a few weeks back Day and Night Magazine in the Independent done a little feature on what we're planning.

Ive no idea if we'll be able to keep it up for all of 2010 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

For me, finish recording my album and release it.

Also, find some musicians and get back gigging again.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Nice bit of promo in the article iamhunted, maith an fear.

My plans for 2010 are to continue making great music which will be ignored until I'm dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Track more, sing more, maybe try start a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

find the time to do more of my own (silly) music
    re-arrange the studio in a more minimalistic way (anyone want a fancy desk?)

find more time to c h i l l and get a better balance with work/life...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

get protools. need to move on from ableton 7. ahh

Should I get an old 002 rack off ebay or go for m powered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭kfoltman

Plans? Plenty of them:
    • finish one song that starts to get moldy (Too late)
    • do a lot more practicing, ear-training and analysis of solos and chord voicings
    • learn Komplete 6
    • post less
    • buy less gear, or at least be smarter at it
    • learn already owned plugins better instead of buying or downloading more of them
    • try modding the MPD16 and repairing the PA amp
    • finish the US428 control surface driver for Reaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Following on from the 'What did you learn in 2009' thread ...

For myself I'll hopefully be looking East.
    Well, as far as London anyways !

I also want to get my DAW chops up a bit and have acquired Logic and , hopefully, Pro Tools next week with as many Plug-Ins as I can blag.

I'm also looking forward to doing some more music with The Evora ..... if they can get their finger out :cool:

I might even put together a project room ..... I won't call it a 'studio'.

Are you moving over to London full time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Are you moving over to London full time?

No ! Too dangerous for the moment ....

I'm now working with Munro Acoustics too so it's inevitable that there will be more activity in the UK.

As we all know, the Irish Studio Scene is very small and quite naturally takes time to develop - however we've seen quite a few positive changes in the last few years with guys who invest intelligently reaping rewards.

There's also quite a few possibilities in 2010 here which I hope will come through ( 3 quite serious projects from our Acoustics Speed Dating Day) so onwards and upwards !

No ! Too dangerous for the moment ....

I'm now working with Munro Acoustics too so it's inevitable that there will be more activity in the UK.

As we all know, the Irish Studio Scene is very small and quite naturally takes time to develop - however we've seen quite a few positive changes in the last few years with guys who invest intelligently reaping rewards.

There's also quite a few possibilities in 2010 here which I hope will come through ( 3 quite serious projects from our Acoustics Speed Dating Day) so onwards and upwards !

Good stuff,

You'd probably get know one to admit it but your input and viewpoint on all things music related would probably be missed around here.

That's if you were heading off of course.

• Advertisement

They have internet in the UK too you know ...;)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

uuumh

find a band maybe if they will let me in as i keep failing my own auditions...

eleven rack for digi PROJECT ROOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

SSDD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Kept things quiet last year as i've been working with a reformation of Binary Finary - i've been working on pieces for a live set / remixes for a new show (Dance Music live PA)

So 2010 will be backing this up with lots more remixes, lots more collaboration with people in Australia (God thank Ableton) - using dropbox daily ;)

This is in conjunction with the large label Armada soon to be re-releasing the original single i'd released back in 1997 and new remixes that have been getting played out by Tiesto/Armin van Buuren (and all the other right names to be seen with in this scene)

Now that I've moved DAW and all the hardware has fallen into line bug free i'll be writing more than I ever have and hopefully doing more work on the label(s) and learning more ropes.

All I need to do now is see a working version of logic and i've seen every DAW now :) - so that should happen this year! along with income meaning that I might be lucky enough to buy a nice SSD rammed laptop.

Savman wrote: »
    SSDD :)

SSDY?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

Pretty much gig as much as we can. First three months of the year will be fairly intensive rehearsals tho.

On studio front I want to focus on treating my room. I also want to spend more time learning the gear I have rather than resorting to my usual "if I only had this plugin or that bit of hardware".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the plan for this year will be to spend more summer time playing festivals in Eastern Europe and that neck of the woods. I can't stand the endless crap weather and find it easier to get gigs at European festivals than I do in Ireland. The other goal is to continue recording once the new album is finished and to take some more time out for educational purposes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

• Learn how to use the hardware/software I have already. It’s more than I’ll even need.
    • Do not (under any circumstances) upgrade my current DAW software, plug-ins or operating system. They’re all working great just as they are. I don’t intent to spend 2010 on forums trying to figure out why stuff stopped working.
    • From now on, I’m taking a 3 step approach to recording music… 1-Write it 2-Track it 3-Mix it (so no more trying to do everything at once… i.e. trying to mix my stuff on the go before I’ve even written/tracked all of the music/vocals).
    • For most of 2009, probably only 10% of my time was actually spent making music. The rest of it was spent fixing things or trying to get a “better sound”. In 2010, my objective is to spend 90% being creative & only 10% on the other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

gig more, learn more music theory and stop buying gear i dont need!

• Advertisement

SeanHurley wrote: »

On studio front I want to focus on treating my room. I also want to spend more time learning the gear I have rather than resorting to my usual "if I only had this plugin or that bit of hardware".

Both good plans in my book - having a working room acoustically also allows you to get the very best out of what you do have.

Best of Luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I would like to get a song into the charts this year.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    • Learn how to use the hardware/software I have already. It’s more than I’ll even need.
    • Do not (under any circumstances) upgrade my current DAW software, plug-ins or operating system. They’re all working great just as they are. I don’t intent to spend 2010 on forums trying to figure out why stuff stopped working.
    • From now on, I’m taking a 3 step approach to recording music… 1-Write it 2-Track it 3-Mix it (so no more trying to do everything at once… i.e. trying to mix my stuff on the go before I’ve even written/tracked all of the music/vocals).
    • For most of 2009, probably only 10% of my time was actually spent making music. The rest of it was spent fixing things or trying to get a “better sound”. In 2010, my objective is to spend 90% being creative & only 10% on the other stuff.

I think you'll find it's usually the enthusiasts who dive into the 'upgrade always' path and the guys with mission critical gear are loathe to make changes.

Also the 'making changes' and 'making music' are two distinct separate processes - there's usually hell to pay if they're mixed.

The 10%, if addressed wisely, contributes positively to the 90%...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

get some new gear ,once I pay off the CC bill.Incidentely Paul do you still have the demo a7's ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

get really good feedback about my tracks which i have been working hard on.

get them into charts

get to do what i loooove a whole lot more...

get nothing short of fantastic management who can help me to get heard by the entire universe
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Make noise and break hearts. Maybe glue one or two back together too. Make some money. Stop my gums from bleeding.

What's this 'charts' nonsense lads ?

Don't you know how vacuous and pointless a goal that is ?

Charts are a possible byproduct of success - not a success in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

What's this 'charts' nonsense lads ?

The point is simple. A 'hit' or 'chart success' means that more people will want you to work with them which in turn will drive more cash flow which eventually will land in your pockets for more gear and a better overall quality of sound. Is that not how it works or have I been asleep for the last while??
    Don't you know how vacuous and pointless a goal that is ?

Why do you think so negatively about wanting to achieve a goal? When you were young you must have had goals that meant something to you but nothing to others??
    Charts are a possible by-product of success - not a success in itself.

Yes very true it's not all about the song or the production.

I will go as far as to say most things we selfishly do in life are pointless but we do them for the fun regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I'm bored trying to write and record..

just gonna do hookers and coke this year :p

• Advertisement

dav nagle wrote: »
    or have I been asleep for the last while??

Yes
    When you were young you must have had goals that meant something to you but nothing to others??

No

Advertisement