Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia -vs- America

Options
  • 16-09-2020 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Which of these two countries would you rather live in, and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

During the pandemic? Ireland by a mile. Not into seeing people getting their doors beaten in and arrested for stuff they posted on Facebook.

Oz. Definitely. I lived in Brisbane and loved it. Fantastic little city, and Aussies are a lot of fun. Gorgeous scenery, and loads of destinations within easy/short flight times.

The US is too damned messed up, even before BLM. I wouldn't want to be a White guy living there now. Just too many ways to get marked for trouble. Besides, I'm not terribly comfortable with their approach to firearms, extremist groups (sjw/political/religious), or their incredibly corrupt political system.

Nah. Easily Oz. I already know how great it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

America is in a state of disarray albeit from this distant viewpoint.

But Australia is full of Australians.

I'll stay where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I imagine Australia being just like America but with Kangaroo's.

America is bad enough without Kangaroo's knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I imagine Australia being just like America but with Kangaroo's.

America is bad enough without Kangaroo's knocking about.

Never mind the kangaroos. They just beat the heads off each other so they can have at it.

It's the dingoes robbing babies you need to be bothered by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Australia. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I loathe the heat so Australia wouldn't suit me at all. If I had to live there it would be Tasmania, as far away from the excessive heat, and more unpleasant fauna, as I could get.

New England, or possibly a Rocky Mountain region, would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Australia.

Far too many lunatics in the other place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'd prefer the variety of scenery in the US. And I'd prefer Americans in general. I haven't liked it that much the last few times I was there though. Getting through their awful airports would do your nut in. It's also gone fierce expensive to have a rake of pints in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Defiantly America. Australia sounds to me like somewhere you'd like to live our your final years and it always struck me as a boring place. I'm sure someone is going to contradict that but that's they way it strikes me. I'd rather live in Brooklyn than own Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Hmm I dunno. I don't trust them koalas. I find their koalifications rather dubious!

.. .. ..

I'll see myself out.. .. ..

AllForIt wrote: »
    Defiantly America. Australia sounds to me like somewhere you'd like to live our your final years and it always struck me as a boring place. I'm sure someone is going to contradict that but that's they way it strikes me. I'd rather live in Brooklyn than own Australia.

You could try "Surfer's Paradise" with Nimbin being nearby. Plenty of parties, drinks, drugs, and overly athletic people. :D

Still, I understand. I prefer big cities myself. It's why I didn't stay in Oz. Population is just a little on the low side for me..

Never been to Australia but I've always said that America is a great place to visit but I'd hate to live there.

Plus, Australia has better healthcare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

they are all convicts in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Went to Sydney for work a few years ago and lived in the US for a while. If I had to pick, I'd still go with the US due to how weak the Aussie Dollar is and cost of living to pay ratio over there but given the choice, I'd say neither.

I'll take Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

US women:

"I'm like, starting to get along with my Mom again, like. People who don't know me need to see the real me, like, because, like, when I go to the gym and stuff, I'm like, this isn't like ME, so like when I go home and like, look in the mirror, it's like crazy."

Aussie women:

"O'im gonna beat you if you don't roide me layta, ya hunka spunk, noice jeans by the way. They'll be off ya soon enough."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

jaxxx wrote: »
    Hmm I dunno. I don't trust them koalas. I find their koalifications rather dubious!

.. .. ..

I'll see myself out.. .. ..

Don't forget your coat :p

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes, the more eye candy the better.

Tokyo or Seoul. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Granted I've never been to Oz, but it does strike me as a better quality of life than the US. Although it seems between snakes and spiders the whole place wants to kill humans....still safer than America these days.

America seems like it's on the brink of civil war the last 12-18 months; I was there in Feb but will be avoiding it at all costs until it sorts itself out (ie dumps the cheese doodle in charge).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Although it seems between snakes and spiders the whole place wants to kill humans....

Unless you're camping in the bush 24/7 this is a myth perpetuated by tv. Most of these things don't want to be around us and escape or hide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I lived in Oz and I'd go back there again. The majority of the people I met were grand. When you go into the outback that's when you meet the small minded racist ones, kinda like an ozzy landing in Ireland and heading to the likes of Cavan or Monaghan I suppose.

I have relations living in America all their lives and from what their telling me things are starting to go shít out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

You could try "Surfer's Paradise" with Nimbin being nearby. Plenty of parties, drinks, drugs, and overly athletic people. :D

Still, I understand. I prefer big cities myself. It's why I didn't stay in Oz. Population is just a little on the low side for me..

I don't understand this point of view though, we always think of the US as being home to massive cities, but the truth is there are only 10 cities with populations over 1m in the US (5 in Aus). The biggest is NYC with over 8m, the next biggest is LA which at 3.9m is smaller than both Sydney (5.7m) and Melbourne (5.07m).

Personally I would much rather Australia, Not because of the city sizes but because I think the lifestyle and culture would be much better suited to an Irish person than that in the US.

Americans are very work driven and are expected to spend as much time as possible in work, which I don't think suits the Irish psyche at all. Australians aren't gun mad, they have a good healthcare system and the people seem to be way more laid back. They don't have a polarising 2 party legal system, and aren't on the brink of a race/civil war. There are downsides to Australia, but I think the similarities to Ireland and the positives far outweigh those of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Have lived in both. Both are huge so hard to generalise. Had enjoyable times in both but I won't be rushing back to live in either.

source wrote: »
    I don't understand this point of view though, we always think of the US as being home to massive cities, but the truth is there are only 10 cities with populations over 1m in the US (5 in Aus). The biggest is NYC with over 8m, the next biggest is LA which at 3.9m is smaller than both Sydney (5.7m) and Melbourne (5.07m).

I've been living in Asia for the last decade, so I've gotten used to big cities. Xi'an (where i usually am) 9 million people. Chongqing, two years ago, 30 million. Tokyo, 5 years ago, 9 million.

I guess I should have clarified that when I said I preferred big cities, I was talking about Asia. Western cities don't tend to be that large in terms of population.
    Personally I would much rather Australia, Not because of the city sizes but because I think the lifestyle and culture would be much better suited to an Irish person than that in the US.

I've encountered many Irish throughout Asia, all of whom seem to love living in their respective countries/cities. I find that the Irish are pretty good at dealing with foreign culture, and aren't as susceptible to culture shock as others. Probably because we (generally) don't have a superiority complex about our culture being number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I've been living in Asia for the last decade, so I've gotten used to big cities. Xi'an (where i usually am) 9 million people. Chongqing, two years ago, 30 million. Tokyo, 5 years ago, 9 million.

I guess I should have clarified that when I said I preferred big cities, I was talking about Asia. Western cities don't tend to be that large in terms of population.

Yeah Asia blows anyplace in the west out of the water for city size. Japan is firmly on my wishlist for places to visit.
    I've encountered many Irish throughout Asia, all of whom seem to love living in their respective countries/cities. I find that the Irish are pretty good at dealing with foreign culture, and aren't as susceptible to culture shock as others. Probably because we (generally) don't have a superiority complex about our culture being number 1.

That's a very good point actually, and I know a lot of Irish do very well in the US, but I just know that their hyper focused work culture would drive me bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Neither have any great attraction for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Aus, was there two years ago in Adelaide for a brothers wedding, beautiful place, especially when you get out of Adelaide and head into the outskirts, spent a few days in Sydney as well, lovely spot, went to see the blue mountains, what a spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

source wrote: »

That's just down to how they categorise a city in the US. The New York Metropolitan Area has about 20 million people. The LA Metropolitan Area has 13 million people. That 5.7 million for Sydney includes its metropolitan area.

Advertisement