Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it always better to go joint?

Options
  • 07-05-2021 8:53am

I was looking up some tax stuff recently and noticed I'm still down as single despite getting married in 2016. When I attempted to change this to married I ended up with loads of questions that I don't really know the answers to (assessable spouse, etc). But would I be better looking into this and going ahead with it or are the benefits generally negligible? Thanks. We're both just in standard jobs (1 private and 1 govt) and no overseas income, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I was looking up some tax stuff recently and noticed I'm still down as single despite getting married in 2016. When I attempted to change this to married I ended up with loads of questions that I don't really know the answers to (assessable spouse, etc). But would I be better looking into this and going ahead with it or are the benefits generally negligible? Thanks. We're both just in standard jobs (1 private and 1 govt) and no overseas income, etc.

It's beneficial if one spouse isn't using up to €9000 of their rate band which can be transferred to the other. Or if one of the spouses isn't using up to €1650 of their personal credit which can be transferred to the other. Circumstances change all the time so if one spouses income dropped/ceased then their transferrable rate band/credits can be moved to the other spouse so there's will be some softening of the drop in income.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

It's never less beneficial to opt for Joint Assessment. And as for 'Assessable Spouse' - you just need to choose one of you to be the 'main person' - so in the event of Revenue requiring you to file a Return, they send the request to a specific person, not a couple.

It's never less beneficial to opt for Joint Assessment. And as for 'Assessable Spouse' - you just need to choose one of you to be the 'main person' - so in the event of Revenue requiring you to file a Return, they send the request to a specific person, not a couple.

Thanks. I was afraid I put all the tax on one person or something.

Advertisement