Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxation on second job

Options
  • 02-05-2021 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Not familiar with tax affairs, so please excuse the basic question.
    I have a full-time PAYE job. I recently took on another weekend job (on demand; no fixed hours). The first payslip shows deduction for PAYE, PRSI and USC. Does it have to be paid on both jobs?
    Is there any way to get tax credits (or anything else) to reduce the deductions? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Yes those taxes have to be paid on both. You can split your tax credits between both jobs but it depends on what you will earn in each job in the full tax year. Do you have a rough idea of gross earnings in each? Do you pay a pension on either?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can split your credits but for a large:small hours split that doesn't make sense. If your main job is a decent wage then all of your 2nd jobs income will be at the higher rate unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 teamcyclist

I think that you shouldn't be paying any Employee's PRSI unless your weekend job is paying you over €352? Others more expert than me here may correct me me though.
    Otherwise you split the tax credits etc between the two jobs yourself - it usually makes sense to leave all the credits with your main job but if your if main job doesn't bring you into the high rate of tax you need to allocate some of the lower band to your second job. You can do it yourself online but if you ring revenue and explain how much you expect to earn in each job over the course of the year they are very helpful and will help you.

Advertisement