Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment Firms Buying Estates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

There's been a lot about this on the 2021 Irish Property thread, including over the last week.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058146177

I don't think people, including the media, were that much interested 2 years ago as it was a lot of buying by funds of apartment blocks in Dublin and the belief that this would meet the needs of high tech mostly non Irish workers, plus our normal attitude to apartments in that they are not real long term options, because we just want to live in houses. This developed into the outcry over co living came just after that.

Developers, builders and all the other property professionals who work with them, weren't complaining. It was and remains, good and fruitful work, and that all starts with a normally very nice return for the landowner due to the high cost of land in the first place. So, we have a building and construction and finance industry, all quite content with how all this has evolved over the last 5/6 years.

Of course, no way is it for the common good as many people are now waking up to. One comment made on the other thread summed it up entirely. It describes in a couple of sentences how the need by the government to reach its social housing targets, and its failure to do so, has crashed into the private housing market, and not helping either out. See below.

This from Amadan Dubh early today sums it up perfectly.

The government has created a market of social housing/rental assistance tenants for private investors - it is a total housing bubble which has spilled into the main housing market. They have done this and continue to do it by competing with individuals in the private market, elbowing them out, which pushes up prices thereby making the private market unaffordable which means people can no longer afford their own home and need to be looked after by the government. Institutionals may have their place in a functioning housing market but definitely do not in a dysfunctional housing market which is what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

What i have noticed is County Councils around the country buying houses the Country buying up houses around the country pushing up prices.
    These houses are then let to mostly low paid people and some unemployed on rent support which i do not understand how this works, how i do understand that the public purse is paying for the initial purchase and then paying the rent.

So for me the monster in the room are the people who we entrust to run the thing.
    Basically my view is that local authorities need to start to build for low income and let the rest of the market do their thing.
    We need high rise up-market apartments around the city centre in my view.
    I have said this here before but surely this is is the only capital cit in the world that has single storied houses in the city centre.

For FF politicians who have been involved in this "confidence and supply" for years, now they say they are going to fix it. Then we have opposition politicians saying that they have no input to how the country is Governed.
    There is bot much point in paying a TD 100k+ if they are going to say, its nothing to do with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

It's actually ironic. I remember reading multiple posts over the recent pre pandemic time of how we needed professional landlords and people were happy to see small landlords leave the market.

Well guess what it's happening and it's not how people expected. Our housing issues are a result of multiple reasons and not just a single factor.

Some of the reasons we are here. Few if any repossessions, few if any evictions (both private and social). Introduction of HAP, pandering to social tenants refusing good properties because they are not in the desired area while private buyers and tenants have to accept what they can afford. Tax treatment of REITs v private landlords. Acceptance that we need to increase supply by building up rather than out.

Increase in building standards without accepting someone has to pay for them . Reduced supplies of raw materials because of Covid. Inability of developers to secure finance.

Whether people want to accept it or not we need foreign investors. The big question is how do you encourage institutional investors to build what we want.

E05Or7kXsAYh6ys.jpg

If they buy an estate of houses ahead of the Council and then let it out for HAP or long term rental to the Council then the market is completely destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

We need high rise up-market apartments around the city centre in my view.
    I have said this here before but surely this is is the only capital cit in the world that has single storied houses in the city centre.

Good luck with that.:pac:

Its gentrification and theres a lot of pushback against it.

• Advertisement

It's actually ironic. I remember reading multiple posts over the recent pre pandemic time of how we needed professional landlords and people were happy to see small landlords leave the market.

Well guess what it's happening and it's not how people expected. Our housing issues are a result of multiple reasons and not just a single factor.

Some of the reasons we are here. Few if any repossessions, few if any evictions (both private and social). Introduction of HAP, pandering to social tenants refusing good properties because they are not in the desired area while private buyers and tenants have to accept what they can afford. Tax treatment of REITs v private landlords. Acceptance that we need to increase supply by building up rather than out.

Increase in building standards without accepting someone has to pay for them . Reduced supplies of raw materials because of Covid. Inability of developers to secure finance.

Whether people want to accept it or not we need foreign investors. The big question is how do you encourage institutional investors to build what we want.

So your view is we bring in foreign Cuckoo funds to buy up mass houses that were given planning to build family homes for families.
    I said it here on another thread 2 years ago that these properties should have being (ring fenced) at the planning stage for families, local authorities are already are doing this with one-off houses.

These companies pay little or no tax and are taking the properties from the taxpayers, i cannot remember the detail as its a few years since i was thinking of this.
    I do agree we need companies to develop our larger cities with high quality apartments for professional who have the money to live in these areas.
    The knock-on effect be also good as people live close to work an no need commute for work, traffic etc...

I seen this yesterday and thought it was interesting. 650 BTL mortgages in a decade!

How is rental accommodation to be supplied?

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1391019876064632834

I seen this yesterday and thought it was interesting. 650 BTL mortgages in a decade!

How is rental accommodation to be supplied?

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1391019876064632834

The Government will quite simply have to start to develop social housing.
    They can fast-track planning as has being done in other areas.
    The problem is where will we get the people with the skills.
    If the political will is there i am sure it can be done.

The knock-on effect will make rental property more available.
    They would need to start today...

The Government will quite simply have to start to develop social housing.
    They can fast-track planning as has being done in other areas.

I'm not even talking about social. I'm talking about ordinary Joe's like myself working in a factory who needs a room or apartment to rent for a few months or 2 or 3 years.

The people who don't want to buy and would get laughed at if they asked for social. Theres waiting lists years long.

I'm not even talking about social. I'm talking about ordinary Joe's like myself working in a factory who needs a room or apartment to rent for a few months or 2 or 3 years.

The people who don't want to buy and would get laughed at if they asked for social. Theres waiting lists years long.

I completely understand (i think) my point is if Councils stop buying private housing and renting from these private developments these properties be available for the regular market to buy or for buy to let to people like you.

This was done in the past so we know how to do, the waiting list is long but each day it gets longer if nothing is done. I have been giving out about this for about 3 years but it is only recently it has become popular to whinge about it...

• Advertisement

So your view is we bring in foreign Cuckoo funds to buy up mass houses that were given planning to build family homes for families.
    I said it here on another thread 2 years ago that these properties should have being (ring fenced) at the planning stage for families, local authorities are already are doing this with one-off houses.

These companies pay little or no tax and are taking the properties from the taxpayers, i cannot remember the detail as its a few years since i was thinking of this.
    I do agree we need companies to develop our larger cities with high quality apartments for professional who have the money to live in these areas.
    The knock-on effect be also good as people live close to work an no need commute for work, traffic etc...

Where exactly did I say that? If you read what I posted I said funds have a place. Funds can finance apartments which are traditionally more difficult to finance. But they will buy what makes them the highest return.

People should live close to where they work but what about those who don't need to be in an area but want to be there?

Where exactly did I say that? If you read what I posted I said funds have a place. Funds can finance apartments which are traditionally more difficult to finance. But they will buy what makes them the highest return.

People should live close to where they work but what about those who don't need to be in an area but want to be there?

I was commenting on the last line of your post.
    The reason i am against these companies is they pay very little tax and taking homes from taxpayers and Government supporting same it seems.

I am pretty well in agreement with you i think on this topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

C14N wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all. I've been a renter for years and always taken good care of any place I was in. In general I haven't had any issues with neighbours who were renting either. Most of us expect to leave at some point and wanted our deposits back when we did. Beyond that it's the landlord's responsibility to pay to take care of upkeep, not the tenant. Ideally, in a competitive rental market, landlords would be incentivised to do that in order to stop tenants moving elsewhere, although I'd imagine in our current market many won't bother, as they will always be able to find another tenant quickly and/or half the units are rented to the council who will guarantee to keep them for 20 years regardless of the conditions.

Whether or not someone looks after their own place is up to them and their own attitudes, not whether they're renting or owning. Plenty of people own their houses or get them from the council long-term and take misreable care of them because they aren't bothered about it. If I owned any of the apartments I lived in I wouldn't have treated them any differently to how I did renting them.

So you paint the place when the exterior starts to chip? Repair fences and gates when they start to sag/drop? Invest in flower beds and enhance the garden? More power to you but that seems a little foolish as it’s not the obligation of a renter to take care of these things.

——

"'I feel constant shame at our situation': Your stories of Ireland's housing crisis" https://jrnl.ie/5430959

Dave: ‘We bought during the boom’

“My wife and I bought an apartment in suburban Dublin in late 2007 at the height of the property boom. We have been living there since and saving to move to a larger house. The price of the property has never come back to its original purchase price. If we sold now we would still be down 100k from what we paid.

“We have bad experiences with these funds. A fund has bought the properties beside us and they are all in disrepair. The tenants are paying top rents but don’t care about the upkeep of them and from the rents they are paying I wouldn’t blame them. ”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

He's got some neck on him!

Oh wait...

https://eirigi.org/trackthevultures

Not sure if it has been posted but here's a Vulture fund tracker.
    Shocking stuff really. We're only going one way in the country unfortunately, and it's not the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It seems the government are going to bring in laws to restrict these funds buying up entire housing estates in one go.

But what is noticeably missing is nothing is being said by the politicians about tacking their tax treatment which is one of the main reasons why they are really here. Private landlords have to pay a huge chunk of rental income in tax but these funds are using mechanisms to pay next to nothing, iirc it came out a few years back that IRES Reit with over 2,000 properties paid a few hundred quid in tax for the year. Tax treatment like that is hugely attractive to them to get involved in the market. So if their taxation doesnt change then they will continue on as before, only this time instead of being able to buy up 100% of houses in an estate it will be reduced to 70%. But it will still go on because rents are high and they get to pay little or no tax on the rental income.

The worrying thing really is long term because whats happening this generation now is that they are being forced into a lifetime of renting. Many will never be able to buy a house like their parents did even though they are on above average salaries. So fast forward 30 years and suddenly you've got hundreds of thousands of renters all coming to retirement and their income dries up and they cant afford rents on their pension. So another housing crisis pops up out of that and youve gotten pensioners being evicted and having to move far away from their home to afford rents. Then as theyve no house theyve no asset to lay against potental nursing home costs under the Fair Deal scheme, again another large problem arises

Two companies with arms length relationship to each other "share" two estates with each other - restriction circumvented.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It seems the government are going to bring in laws to restrict these funds buying up entire housing estates in one go.

But what is noticeably missing is nothing is being said by the politicians about tacking their tax treatment which is one of the main reasons why they are really here. Private landlords have to pay a huge chunk of rental income in tax but these funds are using mechanisms to pay next to nothing, iirc it came out a few years back that IRES Reit with over 2,000 properties paid a few hundred quid in tax for the year. Tax treatment like that is hugely attractive to them to get involved in the market. So if their taxation doesnt change then they will continue on as before, only this time instead of being able to buy up 100% of houses in an estate it will be reduced to 70%. But it will still go on because rents are high and they get to pay little or no tax on the rental income.

The worrying thing really is long term because whats happening this generation now is that they are being forced into a lifetime of renting. Many will never be able to buy a house like their parents did even though they are on above average salaries. So fast forward 30 years and suddenly you've got hundreds of thousands of renters all coming to retirement and their income dries up and they cant afford rents on their pension. So another housing crisis pops up out of that and youve gotten pensioners being evicted and having to move far away from their home to afford rents. Then as theyve no house theyve no asset to lay against potental nursing home costs under the Fair Deal scheme, again another large problem arises

They'll only be able to by 75% of an estate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Muahahaha wrote: »
    But what is noticeably missing is nothing is being said by the politicians about tacking their tax treatment which is one of the main reasons why they are really here.

This is it, remove the incentive for them and there would be no need for specific legislation.

Another incentive that can be removed is the councils agreeing to long term leases with these REIT's, guaranteeing them income for the next 20-30 years.

At least with private LL's they get taxed and the profits they make will mostly get recirculated in the economy also.

• Advertisement

I was surprised the people in Dublin did not simply protest when the Liffey Valley development as it was only around this time i became aware of the full extent though i am sure it was well established at that time.
    The only thing that will stop this is every voter in the country to contact their TDs, Senators and Councillors today and ask it to be stopped with immediate effect.
    We cannot wait until there is an election, they all know what is going on and the elected representatives are supposed to be working for us.
    It simply need emergency legislation to have it banned...

Watching the news on 3 this evening Martin and Kelly like children at school.
    What are we like...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

This thread may have run its course but i am still interested in this.
    It will be interesting to see what happens next week.
    The proposals i heard do not go near far enough for me.
    It be interesting to see what Mary Lou has to say...

This thread may have run its course but i am still interested in this.
    It will be interesting to see what happens next week.
    The proposals i heard do not go near far enough for me.
    It be interesting to see what Mary Lou has to say...

If the leaks are true expect a slowdown in the new housing market as developers may find it difficult to finance developments.

We need foreign investment whether people like it or not. Most funds are looking at the build to rent model.

If the leaks are true expect a slowdown in the new housing market as developers may find it difficult to finance developments.

We need foreign investment whether people like it or not. Most funds are looking at the build to rent model.

Personally i think we do need funds to build luxery apartment blocks in our larger cities with the build to rent you mention.
    I think they should be a complete ban on they buying what were applied for as planning stage as family homes.
    We have a few large developers so why are they not getting into this area as these companies are looking for properties...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Why don't we let google, Microsoft etc. Build high density housing instead? Cheap rents to attract talent is in their interests and they have the appetite to help: https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/google-willing-to-build-irish-homes-to-ease-accommodation-crisis-says-company-ceo-sundar-pichai-38516031.html

selassie wrote: »
    Why don't we let google, Microsoft etc. Build high density housing instead? Cheap rents to attract talent is in their interests and they have the appetite to help: https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/google-willing-to-build-irish-homes-to-ease-accommodation-crisis-says-company-ceo-sundar-pichai-38516031.html

Thanks i had not seen this and its two years old.
    This is kinda my thinking but i am not asking for cheap rents.

My thinking is for every large office block we should be thinking of good quality apartments in the same general area.
    The people will have good jobs and the market will decide the rent.
    I would have no problem with these getting tax incentives if these funds were leaving what i think are family homes just for the most part...

Personally i think we do need funds to build luxery apartment blocks in our larger cities with the build to rent you mention.
    I think they should be a complete ban on they buying what were applied for as planning stage as family homes.
    We have a few large developers so why are they not getting into this area as these companies are looking for properties...

Banks will not release funds for apartment blocks at the same interest rate as they do for houses. Housing developments are typically built in phases with the bank releasing fund for subsequent phases when some or all of previous phases are sold. Housing developments are less risky to banks.

Apartment blocks need to be completed before any apartment can be sold and hence more risky to banks.

Institutional investors don't have this issue.

For the record I don't agree with Institutional landlords becoming to big but at the same time I don't agree with the State potentially scaring them off.

I am a single property landlord who sees how one sided the rental market is to people like me and perhaps institutional landlords might level the playing field for me and others like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sunday Times reporting that the plan is to allow cuckoo funds buy 50% of any new development. No mention of taxing them the same as private landlords so their financial advantage will still be there. While it will help first time buyers of family homes it doesnt solve the problem as they will still be competing against them.

I can also see the cuckoo funds challenging any new laws into the High and Supreme Courts who have always upheld property rights strongly. It wouldnt surprise me if the courts ruled in their favour because as a company they have the same property rights as an individual and preventing them buying what they want to could be ruled as unconstitutional.

Advertisement