Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

McGregor by Sub
    All the armchair analysts in here who probably never trained in their life.

A couple of chin ups and a game of touch butt qualifies you as been trained?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

there's a few paths back for mcgregor if he wants to do it but jaysus if he loses again, it would be an absolutely devasting end to a career. I mean it's bad now, but losing 4 of your last 7 mma fights? or 5 of your last 8 if you include the boxing

I think White hit the nail on the head post-match, McGregor's lost the hunger he had when he started out. He's made the money he wanted to make, got to the top of the game, and as he put it, it's hard to have a 300ft yacht and still be a savage. The guys who are more driven by fighting and ring success than the financial side of it probably won't have this issue, but money has always been arguably the biggest motivator for McGregor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

I think White hit the nail on the head post-match, McGregor's lost the hunger he had when he started out. He's made the money he wanted to make, got to the top of the game, and as he put it, it's hard to have a 300ft yacht and still be a savage. The guys who are more driven by fighting and ring success than the financial side of it probably won't have this issue, but money has always been arguably the biggest motivator for McGregor.

Man I hate that excuse. Manny Pacquiao came from some bombed out sh*thole in southeast asia, starving and punching other starving children and is now worth 2-3 times McGregor and yet he's still on top of the game.

Floyd Mayweather is literally the highest paid athlete in the world with a net worth of 1 billion and guess what? He's still on top of his game to the very end.

This whole 'losing the savagery' crap means nothing. What you're actually saying is, McGregor doesnt have the discipline or focus to be on top of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

McGregor by Sub
    Exactly. Mayweather and Pacquiao still train like they're broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Man I hate that excuse. Manny Pacquiao came from some bombed out sh*thole in southeast asia, starving and punching other starving children and is now worth 2-3 times McGregor and yet he's still on top of the game.

Floyd Mayweather is literally the highest paid athlete in the world with a net worth of 1 billion and guess what? He's still on top of his game to the very end.

This whole 'losing the savagery' crap means nothing. What you're actually saying is, McGregor doesnt have the discipline or focus to be on top of the game.

And mcgregors sob story about welfare is bs , he voluntarily quit his job to practice mma living in his lovely gaf in laraghcon in lucan, not struggling on the rough streets of crumlin unemployed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Yes, that's what I'm saying. And why doesn't he have the discipline or focus? Because I think he was money driven from the start, and now he's got a fortune in the bank, he doesn't have the same motivation. Other fighters - like Pacquiao - may find their main driving force is winning in the ring and being at the top of the tree in their sport, with the money being a huge bonus but not the main thing that gets them out of bed in the morning - and that's why they remain disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,542 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub

None of the above is actually true,
    What is true is he got beat by a better man on the night,
    No version of Conor was always going to have his way all the time at 155lbs ,
    Its MMA is not boxing 99% of fighter will lose

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts
    And mcgregors sob story about welfare is bs , he voluntarily quit his job to practice mma living in his lovely gaf in laraghcon in lucan, not struggling on the rough streets of crumlin unemployed
    If he quit his job to pursue a career in MMA, then he was unemployed. He also collected social welfare. I don’t see how the area he was living affected the claim about unemployed on welfare.
    Where’s the BS? You’re making out he was claiming to be sleeping on the streets or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Mellor wrote: »
    If he quit his job to pursue a career in MMA, then he was unemployed. He also collected social welfare. I don’t see how the area he was living affected the claim about unemployed on welfare.
    Where’s the BS? You’re making out he was claiming to be sleeping on the streets or something.

The BS is the entire sob story dont act silly pretending you dont know the difference between living in a leafy suburb going to one of the top 50 schools in the country and happily leaving your job cos the family can support you while you do whatever you want and living in somewhere like detroit using foodstamps to subsidize your income if you literally cant find any work.

Cos the latter is how he and his fans play it to the world. Have you not seen the nonsense articles about crumlin?

McGregor on Pts
    The BS is the entire sob story dont act silly pretending you dont know the difference between living in a leafy suburb going to one of the top 50 schools in the country and happily leaving your job cos the family can support you while you do whatever you want and living in somewhere like detroit using foodstamps to subsidize your income if you literally cant find any work.

Cos the latter is how he and his fans play it to the world. Have you not seen the nonsense articles about crumlin?
    We don’t have foodstamps in Ireland.
    There have have been BS descriptions of the “slums” in articles. But Conor didn’t write them. Blame the ignorant writers.
    He grew up in crumlin, and moved to Lucan later. Let’s pretend they were upper class socialites though.

The fact is, he was on welfare, because he quit his job to chase a ufc title. He succeeded. Many other who tried that would have ended up with nothing to show for it. That’s all it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

When he fought Aldo he literally was saying things like 'he's from the streets of Rio, I'm from the streets of Ireland' which is ridiculous when you consider Aldo was actually in the Favellas in a third world country, literally not being able to eat some days while McGregor had a comfortable background.

Eddie Alvarez had a great point telling him to stop talking about money, you were on welfare taking money from single moms and people that need it. He's dead right too, welfare is not supposed to be there for people to quit their decent jobs so they can pursue something that doesn’t pay them. Neil Seery is the prime example of how you are supposed to do it, he worked to support himself and still pursued his MMA dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

DodoDojo wrote: »
    When he fought Aldo he literally was saying things like 'he's from the streets of Rio, I'm from the streets of Ireland' which is ridiculous when you consider Aldo was actually in the Favellas in a third world country, literally not being able to eat some days while McGregor had a comfortable background.

Eddie Alvarez had a great point telling him to stop talking about money, you were on welfare taking money from single moms and people that need it. He's dead right too, welfare is not supposed to be there for people to quit their decent jobs so they can pursue something that doesn’t pay them. Neil Seery is the prime example of how you are supposed to do it, he worked to support himself and still pursued his MMA dreams.

100%. When McGregor couldn't hack it as an apprentice plumber his dad offered him €5k to go back to it. I doubt Aldo or Pacquaio had that level of comfort to fall back on if they didn't make it.

McGregor by Sub
    100%. When McGregor couldn't hack it as an apprentice plumber his dad offered him €5k to go back to it. I doubt Aldo or Pacquaio had that level of comfort to fall back on if they didn't make it.

He came from a more privileged background than me, and even I don't think I had it that bad in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    A lot of the rags to riches story was picked up by american journalists. Being on welfare in america means you are dirt poor, while in Ireland half the country was on the dole at one point.
    Conor didn't paint that narrative. Got to love how this thread goes from an analysis of his fighting to basically rewriting the history of the guys story. Kind of pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He came from a more privileged background than me, and even I don't think I had it that bad in the scheme of things.

Same as myself, born and raised on a council estate. Dad broke his back when I was about 10, so he was on disability benefit all his life, with my mother looking after him. I doubt my parents ever seen €5k, never mind had it to give to me to stay in a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

McGregor by Sub

It did pay though

Tommy tiernan did the same

McGregor on Pts
    When he fought Aldo he literally was saying things like 'he's from the streets of Rio, I'm from the streets of Ireland'
    That was clearly over the top promotion. I don’t think anyone took it seriously as an economic comparison between Ireland abd a third world country.
    Eddie Alvarez had a great point telling him to stop talking about money, you were on welfare taking money from single moms and people that need it.
    Conor being on the dole doesn’t stop any single moms getting on the dole.

You’re twisting Eddie’s words a bit. What he actually said was that your aren’t a man if you take welfare, welfare is for single moms.

That’s a ridiculously ignorant take on welfare tbh.
    He's dead right too, welfare is not supposed to be there for people to quit their decent jobs so they can pursue something that doesn’t pay them.
    I think there’s a difference between something that doesn’t and will never pay you. And pursuing something like a sporting career that could set you up for the future. By going full time, Conor was able to get signed, make a lot of money, and presumably contribute far more tax to society that he would have as an plumber. (Pointing that out for the purpose of net effect).

Could he have do it all while working a 9-5, maybe. But it’s less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,542 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub
    That was clearly over the top promotion. I don’t think anyone took it seriously as an economic comparison between Ireland abd a third world country.

You’re twisting Eddie’s words a bit. What he actually said was that your aren’t a man if you take welfare, welfare is for single moms.

I think there’s a difference between something that doesn’t and will never pay you. And pursuing something like a sporting career that could set you up for the future. By going full time, Conor was able to get signed, make a lot of money, and presumably contribute far more tax to society that he would have as an plumber. (Pointing that out for the purpose of net effect).

Conor quite working years before his UFC debut and he never lived in the gym he turned up it in the evening and sometimes he never turned up at all , It was only about 2012 (cage warrior days) when he started to really put in all the extra work ,

Conor just quite work cause didn't like it

Would Conor gets paid and pays his tax's in the States or would the Irish government get a % ? (that's a question not a statement :D )

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

Conor quite working years before his UFC debut and he never lived in the gym he turned up it in the evening and sometimes he never turned up at all , It was only about 2012 (cage warrior days) when he started to really put in all the extra work ,

Conor just quite work cause didn't like it

Would Conor gets paid and pays his tax's in the States or would the Irish government get a % ? (that's a question not a statement :D )

Not to be 'that guy' but it's spelled quit. I just thought I'd point it out because you used "quite" twice in your post above.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't agree with quitting a job and going on the dole to try and persue a sports career. Sure, it worked for McGregor but that won't work for every one and it isn't what social welfare is supposed to be for. If you tell your social welfare officer that you haven't been looking for a job because you want to be a pro fighter in the UFC, they will likely reduce your payments.

You are right about Eddie though, he was saying Conor wasn't a man because he was on welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor by Sub
    Very little talk going on here now about the event itself so time to lock the thread down - any discussion can continue in the McGregor thread, which is for MMA talk only...so keep on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement