Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire brigade charges.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You need to check your insurance policy.

Some only pay for the fire service call out if there is a claim for damage caused by the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

wench wrote: »
    Looks like some councils charge the actual cost rather than a flat fee
    https://www.theaa.ie/blog/calling-end-fire-brigade-call-charges/

I can confirm without fear of contradiction that the charges quoted for Kerry fire brigade in that link were still applicable at least until a couple of months ago.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can confirm without fear of contradiction that the charges quoted for Kerry fire brigade in that link were still applicable at least until a couple of months ago.

But absolutely and utterly not charged to the person who calls it in. Who you may want to note is not even required to say who they are.

How on earth have you convinced yourself of this?

Saying "I know" does not provide even a shred of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

chefy wrote: »
    We had a fire in a hedge in Laois recently and received a bill for €2800. I've been out of work due to covid 19 and simply can't pay. What happens from here.

How long were they there?

Charges are €500 per hour according to this.

https://www.kerrycoco.ie/environment/backyard-burning/

L1011 wrote: »
    But absolutely and utterly not charged to the person who calls it in. Who you may want to note is not even required to say who they are.

Okay, I've made myself very clear in what I said.

You're another person who has chosen not to believe me, you believe what you want.

I'll say it again just in case you didn't comprehend what I meant, I know I am right.

I don't have to convince myself, I don't have to convince you either.

Now if you want a shred of evidence badly enough I'd be willing to provide it on condition you wager the price on the invoice I have here in front of me (that was sent to me within the last couple of months) that I am telling the truth.

The bill is for 100 euro, it's got my name on it. There are a couple of mods on here that I'm sure you trust that know 100% who I am.

Just to be crystal clear on what I am telling you, I made a call to Kerry Fire Service, I explained the situation and also explained that I was an observer of an incident that needed the services of the Fire Brigade, my name was asked for, I was asked to confirm the number I was calling from, my phone number was then called back out to me by the person taking the call. I again explained that it was not my house, but it was an emergency that needed the Fire Brigade immediately.

One month and one day after the incident I got a bill in my name delivered to me by post for 100 euro, the date of the incident, as well as the exact time to the minute, that the Fire Brigade were in attendance is here in front of me. The location of the fire is on the invoice, it is not my address, I live 6 km's away.

Feel free to send me a pm if you want proof and we'll take it from there and report back here when all is settled.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Did you pay that bill? You haven't benefited from the service in any way I don't see what legal obligation you'd have to pay it. Sounds like someone in the office messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

@ rows grower. You may have got the bill, you don't have to pay it, you can't be that dense surely. A clerical error is the most likely scenario

Okay I'm trying to tell you that I know from personal experience.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree on this.

Let's everyone else agree that you're wrong, that we can agree on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

L1011 wrote: »

If,you call an emergency number for example 999 or 112 you location is traced and recorded for future reference by the particular service.They do not need your name.You can avoid being traced by using a burner phone,of course if inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I have heard the story about the neighbours being charged but I don't believe it because it would pop up on google as a news story. It would also be constantly debated politically. If anyone has evidence it would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Okay, I've made myself very clear in what I said.

You're another person who has chosen not to believe me, you believe what you want.

I'll say it again just in case you didn't comprehend what I meant, I know I am right.

I don't have to convince myself, I don't have to convince you either.

Now if you want a shred of evidence badly enough I'd be willing to provide it on condition you wager the price on the invoice I have here in front of me (that was sent to me within the last couple of months) that I am telling the truth.

The bill is for 100 euro, it's got my name on it. There are a couple of mods on here that I'm sure you trust that know 100% who I am.

Just to be crystal clear on what I am telling you, I made a call to Kerry Fire Service, I explained the situation and also explained that I was an observer of an incident that needed the services of the Fire Brigade, my name was asked for, I was asked to confirm the number I was calling from, my phone number was then called back out to me by the person taking the call. I again explained that it was not my house, but it was an emergency that needed the Fire Brigade immediately.

One month and one day after the incident I got a bill in my name delivered to me by post for 100 euro, the date of the incident, as well as the exact time to the minute, that the Fire Brigade were in attendance is here in front of me. The location of the fire is on the invoice, it is not my address, I live 6 km's away.

Feel free to send me a pm if you want proof and we'll take it from there and report back here when all is settled.

Your not the only person liable for the bill as the householder will also get a bill and be also liable to pay

Your not the only person liable for the bill as the householder will also get a bill and be also liable to pay

I have no reason to doubt that hedgeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think these charges should be abolished.

Anything that makes people delay calling emergency services has the potential to cause death or injury.

It would be better to fund the services from the LPT as a public service so that they are available to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

I have no reason to doubt that hedgeman.

Both the bills will have the same invoice number as well

I live in Louth. I've never heard of the Fire Brigade charging anyone for a callout, there is no charge as far as I know, to the general public.

That said, and I'm wandering into anecdotal territory here, i have heard that they will send a bill out to an address if there is a fire that has in any way damaged a building, as buildings generally have insurance on them. The idea is that you make a claim and the insurance company will pay the Council (an inflated amount, I'm sure). However, if you ring up the Council and tell them you don't have insurance, they just waive it, as they don't expect the average joe soap to pay for the service.

Much like the HSE don't charge you for an XRay if you've to go to A+E, but if you have insurance, or it was part of a crash or such and there's an insurance company taking responsibility, all of a sudden these things get charged for.

Also, Rows Grower, if you got a bill it was an error. The beneficiary is the only person ever sent a bill. If the person that made the call was the responsible party, all across the country fire trucks would be covered in cobwebs and dust.

Both the bills will have the same invoice number as well

I not only have an invoice number, it has a customer number as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You got sent a bill in error, that's all. You can continue to believe otherwise but you have zero liability

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A proportion of property tax should be ringfenced for callouts on residential properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The OP's income is irrelevant. The liability for the bill is with the property owner.

That really depends on how the fire was caused.
    kravmaga wrote: »
    Does the landlord have Insurance? Whoever has the insurance policy pays the bill.

That only applies if the person with the insurance is liable.
    Nobody is just going to gift a free claim because they have insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

chefy wrote: »
    Pure accident. Small clearing bonfire in purpose mabe bin. Sparks floated into the hedge and it caught fire over a few minutes.

So it was negligence then.

• Advertisement

@ rows grower. You may have got the bill, you don't have to pay it, you can't be that dense surely. A clerical error is the most likely scenario

I don't think they ever said they had to pay it, just that they got the bill sent to them. So I'd get the story right before throwing around dense.

I don't think they ever said they had to pay it, just that they got the bill sent to them. So I'd get the story right before throwing around dense.

Maybe so, hes still talking out his arse though, made worse by his protestations that it's a "fact"

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I not only have an invoice number, it has a customer number as well.

you have a call out charge. the caller gets this if the FB comes out and no action is taken. IE the is no fire or issue. Either this os a nuisance call out fee is applied to the caller. Sounds like the caller called them for no real issue and got billed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Richard308

you have a call out charge. the caller gets this if the FB comes out and no action is taken. IE the is no fire or issue. Either this os a nuisance call out fee is applied to the caller. Sounds like the caller called them for no real issue and got billed.

Or the person who got the bill started the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I live in Louth. I've never heard of the Fire Brigade charging anyone for a callout, there is no charge as far as I know, to the general public.

That said, and I'm wandering into anecdotal territory here, i have heard that they will send a bill out to an address if there is a fire that has in any way damaged a building, as buildings generally have insurance on them. The idea is that you make a claim and the insurance company will pay the Council (an inflated amount, I'm sure). However, if you ring up the Council and tell them you don't have insurance, they just waive it, as they don't expect the average joe soap to pay for the service.

Much like the HSE don't charge you for an XRay if you've to go to A+E, but if you have insurance, or it was part of a crash or such and there's an insurance company taking responsibility, all of a sudden these things get charged for.

Also, Rows Grower, if you got a bill it was an error. The beneficiary is the only person ever sent a bill. If the person that made the call was the responsible party, all across the country fire trucks would be covered in cobwebs and dust.

See link here to Louth Co Co fire charges -- calculated to the minute !

https://www.louthcoco.ie/en/services/fire_rescue_services/fire_charges/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

buzz11 wrote: »

Holey moley!! I wonder what Wexford cc charge? They're the dearest for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Holey moley!! I wonder what Wexford cc charge? They're the dearest for everything.

Link here to AA website where they call on fire service charges to be banned -- (I feel an online petition coming on...) Its a bit dated from 2014 but even more relevant since LPT was introduced in 2013.

https://www.theaa.ie/blog/calling-end-fire-brigade-call-charges/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

buzz11 wrote: »

I notice at the start of that link it says:

"Charges apply to those who benefit from the services of the Louth Local Authorities Fire Services"

So unless the call was Malicious - simply reporting someone elses fire in not going to get you a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, this is a fact in Kerry.

I know.

You "know" incorrectly then! I called in an explosion and fire, in Kerry, in the road behind mine. Never a hint of a bill...

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    You "know" incorrectly then! I called in an explosion and fire, in Kerry, in the road behind mine. Never a hint of a bill...

Was it a "Ye have five minutes to clear the building, code word is Kerrygold" type of call?"

They don't count in this discussion.

Advertisement