Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver - foreign licence

Options
  • 19-11-2020 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi All,

I think I know the answer to this but hoping some here will have more insight.

Is it possible to add someone as a named driver on an insurance policy with a foreign licence, specifically Canadian in this case?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ask your insurer. It's down to them at the end of the day.

8 years ago, I did temporarily add two US drivers for 2 weeks to an Irish policy underwritten by Chartis Europe (now AIG).

Long story, but I've still got the dented car to fix now. (It wasn't their fault)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

macplaxton wrote: »
    Ask your insurer. It's down to them at the end of the day.

8 years ago, I did temporarily add two US drivers for 2 weeks to an Irish policy underwritten by Chartis Europe (now AIG).

Long story, but I've still got the dented car to fix now. (It wasn't their fault)

Good to know there's a bit of hope. Thanks for the response, will give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

How long are you looking to have them added for? You won't be able to do it long term, as they would need to get an Irish license after a while.

I've had someone on a South African license added temporarily, but that was only for about 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

seagull wrote: »
    How long are you looking to have them added for? You won't be able to do it long term, as they would need to get an Irish license after a while.

I've had someone on a South African license added temporarily, but that was only for about 2 weeks

Just a few weeks, month tops. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement