Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POTW 543: 10/10/20 - 16/10/20

Options
  • 14-11-2020 11:51am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

keps
    50484663501_94cfefb452_c.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:

Adrian.Sadlier
    50463433991_0e710169f6_c.jpg

johnmcdnl
    50434878208_60acbc5221_c.jpg

Mike Litoris
    50493439872_7d0c4a6ce8_c.jpg

NEW WAVE
    JamJoQe.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS keps. Lovely shot. Any information on capturing it would be appreciated.
    WELL DONE HMs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Thanks to all who kindly voted for the pic. and to Myksyk for keeping the POTW going.

This was a ‘set up’ photo to a degree. I had seen the interaction between the green-finches and sparrows in the garden- and so placed a tripod( semi obscured by another tree) some distance away from the feeder and waited for the action to begin.

The light wasn’t great so in order to get the shutter speed up to 1/1000sec to ‘freeze’ the action, I used an ISO of 3200.

Full photo details:

Camera: Nikon D600

Lens: Tamron 150-600mm at 320mm

Iso: 3200

Shutter Speed: 1/1000

Aperture: F6.3

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Thanks keps.

Everyone should try shooting backyard birds. I'm not sure there's a better, more accessible set up to practice and understand the exposure triangle. It's very rewarding in terms of learning the ins and outs of your camera. Changing light, fast subjects, depth of field requirements, ... All of them changing regularly. Well worth trying out. You mightn't get as good a shot as keps but you'll learn a lot about photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

keps wrote: »
    Thanks to all who kindly voted for the pic. and to Myksyk for keeping the POTW going.

This was a ‘set up’ photo to a degree. I had seen the interaction between the green-finches and sparrows in the garden- and so placed a tripod( semi obscured by another tree) some distance away from the feeder and waited for the action to begin.

The light wasn’t great so in order to get the shutter speed up to 1/1000sec to ‘freeze’ the action, I used an ISO of 3200.

Full photo details:

Camera: Nikon D600

Lens: Tamron 150-600mm at 320mm

Iso: 3200

Shutter Speed: 1/1000

Aperture: F6.3

Keps, ya glorious bastid. Every time I sneak in here, I see your work, and it's glorious.

Well done, laddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Mjollnir wrote: »
    Keps, ya glorious bastid. Every time I sneak in here, I see your work, and it's glorious.

Well done, laddie.

Wow - well that's a blast from the past!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Myksyk wrote: »

Everyone should try shooting backyard birds.

Is that legal???? :p:p:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement