Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License help

Options
  • 08-11-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey guys, so roughly 2 years ago I went and done and done my IBT for A2 license as I was under the age of 24 so couldn't go for A. I got my provisional and bought a bike on A2 license but sold it shortly after and haven't had a bike since. My A2 provisional has expired last month.

I regret selling my first bike and want to go again, this time I'm 25 years old and can go for the A license. Do I need to go complete my IBT for A license or do I just apply for A license? Either way I want to go do my IBT just to refresh my brain again. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Aato wrote: »
    Hey guys, so roughly 2 years ago I went and done and done my IBT for A2 license as I was under the age of 24 so couldn't go for A. I got my provisional and bought a bike on A2 license but sold it shortly after and haven't had a bike since. My A2 provisional has expired last month.

I regret selling my first bike and want to go again, this time I'm 25 years old and can go for the A license. Do I need to go complete my IBT for A license or do I just apply for A license? Either way I want to go do my IBT just to refresh my brain again. Thanks in advance.

You'd have to have gotten the full A2 to get the benefit of progressive access.
    You'll need to apply for an A permit, do the full A ibt, wait min 6 months to apply for full.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Aato

Mjolnir wrote: »
    You'd have to have gotten the full A2 to get the benefit of progressive access.
    You'll need to apply for an A permit, do the full A ibt, wait min 6 months to apply for full.

OK no worries thanks. Also would it be possible to get insured at 25 on a cbr600rr on a provisional A license?

OK no worries thanks. Also would it be possible to get insured at 25 on a cbr600rr on a provisional A license?

Very doubtful with a brand new licence and 0 ncb if you manage it it will cost a bomb.
    I quotes on a f3 at 25 and swapped from a vn1500 to an cbr 600 f4.
    Axa will quote with a grade 2 assessment and in a lot of cases be the guts of 2k.

Very doubtful with a brand new licence and 0 ncb if you manage it it will cost a bomb.
    I quotes on a f3 at 25 and swapped from a vn1500 to an cbr 600 f4.
    Axa will quote with a grade 2 assessment and in a lot of cases be the guts of 2k.

Damn don't want that so. My first bike I had was a Kawasaki ER6F and was 800 ish with Liberty but that's a lot different than cbr600rr. What other sport bike options would I have I prefer the whole more aggressive seating position etc

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

You need to get a category 'A' learner permit & complete only module 5 of IBT for category A not the whole course again before you can ride a category A bike.

• Advertisement

Damn don't want that so. My first bike I had was a Kawasaki ER6F and was 800 ish with Liberty but that's a lot different than cbr600rr. What other sport bike options would I have I prefer the whole more aggressive seating position etc

0 options there dude bar you want a cbr 600 f3 anything with an r you could forget about. The f3 is more insurance friendly because it doesn't have an r (apart from the cbr part)
    Have you ever actually ridden a sports bike?
    You'll probably get reasonable quotes on hornets, bandits, fazers, sv650's, gsxs,.

0 options there dude bar you want a cbr 600 f3 anything with an r you could forget about. The f3 is more insurance friendly because it doesn't have an r (apart from the cbr part)
    Have you ever actually ridden a sports bike?
    You'll probably get reasonable quotes on hornets, bandits, fazers, sv650's, gsxs,.

I'll have a look at the cbr 600 f3. No never actually ridden a sports bike other than sports touring but that's not the same, only reason I was looking at the sports bikes is because they me dream bikes from the beginning. Makes sense I'll have to learn on something a bit easier to manage.

I'll have a look at the cbr 600 f3. No never actually ridden a sports bike other than sports touring but that's not the same, only reason I was looking at the sports bikes is because they me dream bikes from the beginning. Makes sense I'll have to learn on something a bit easier to manage.

My f4 is considered one of the most comfortable sports bikes, after a long ride I'm still stiff and tired.
    The er6f will have a completely different riding position than a true sports bike.
    Fazer is a comfortable, fast bike and can be got for a good price.
    Its easier build a ncb then get a sports bike.
    Sv650 looks like a sports bike with the benefit of a more upright position.
    You can't say you like the aggressive riding position until you've ridden a sports bike over a decent length but you're unlikely to have anyone let you ride their bike over a meaningful distance if at all.

My f4 is considered one of the most comfortable sports bikes, after a long ride I'm still stiff and tired.
    The er6f will have a completely different riding position than a true sports bike.
    Fazer is a comfortable, fast bike and can be got for a good price.
    Its easier build a ncb then get a sports bike.
    Sv650 looks like a sports bike with the benefit of a more upright position.
    You can't say you like the aggressive riding position until you've ridden a sports bike over a decent length but you're unlikely to have anyone let you ride their bike over a meaningful distance if at all.

Would there much in the difference insurance wise between the f3 and f4?

Would there much in the difference insurance wise between the f3 and f4?

Initially was yea, but I was swapping bikes and had my car insured with liberty for years so talked them around and paid very little more.
    That was about 6 months into my insurance policy I think.

Remember everyone's insurance is different, your age, driving experience, no claims, bike itself area you live in, where its stored, and any alarm or immobiliser all combine into the quote.

• Advertisement

Initially was yea, but I was swapping bikes and had my car insured with liberty for years so talked them around and paid very little more.
    That was about 6 months into my insurance policy I think.

Remember everyone's insurance is different, your age, driving experience, no claims, bike itself area you live in, where its stored, and any alarm or immobiliser all combine into the quote.

Yeah I like the look of the F4 looks great. I'll have to ring up and see what they'll quote me. Also what would be the best month to the buy the bike? I'll be buying out of UK again as found it easy enough last time.

Yeah I like the look of the F4 looks great. I'll have to ring up and see what they'll quote me. Also what would be the best month to the buy the bike? I'll be buying out of UK again as found it easy enough last time.

Whenever ya get the best deal, alot of people don't try sell over winter as the demand is down and try shift them in the spring summer when there's more a demand and they get a better price.
    Love my f4 comfortable and don't lack any power at all.
    Ring around tell them ya have it bought and see if they quote and how much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I got a deal on my AT by buying last day of September: the UK sales guys close the Quarter so all the figures and bonuses are calculated on closing the quarter, and knowing Q4 is dead.

Which is why you buy when everyone else is selling........Q3/Q4 of the year always works for me.

As for UK, well, nobody know what's going to happen post Dec 31st.............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yeah I wouldn't mind buying it before Christmas as an early Christmas present to myself ha!

Just need to find out if I can get insured on the cbr600 f4 before I buy one on a provisional A license.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

Yeah I wouldn't mind buying it before Christmas as an early Christmas present to myself ha!

Just need to find out if I can get insured on the cbr600 f4 before I buy one on a provisional A license.

Call your Insurance Co and find out, they should quote based on theory, learner permit and IBT

Duke Dan wrote: »
    Call your Insurance Co and find out, they should quote based on theory, learner permit and IBT

Will do thanks I'll let ye know how I get on. Are NDLS still open or can I apply for my A provisional online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'd say right now is the time to buy if you can find a bike you want from a private seller. Given the lockdown you might find a few people tired of renewing their done deal ads with no offers and a low ball offer might stick. Otherwise i found January and February a good time to buy, my last 2 bikes were from lads who had already bought their new bike that year and so were ready to get shot of the old one, both good deals for me in my opinion.

Regarding the next bike, I'd suggest getting something that falls into the usual beginner friendly A group. There are plenty of faired versions of those bikes so they'll have the sports bike look that you're keen on, pretty sure even the ER6 you had comes faired. I'd steer you away from the likes of a RR, you were on an A2 before and sold it shortly afterwards, which wouldn't give you much experience on the road, at 25 there's plenty of time to get yourself on an RR down the line, best to serve your time. Also, the other bikes are more suited to the test for slow riding uturns etc. if nothing else, get a test friendly bike and then upgrade afterwards once you have your NCB totted up and the full license in your back pocket.

zubair wrote: »
    I'd say right now is the time to buy if you can find a bike you want from a private seller. Given the lockdown you might find a few people tired of renewing their done deal ads with no offers and a low ball offer might stick. Otherwise i found January and February a good time to buy, my last 2 bikes were from lads who had already bought their new bike that year and so were ready to get shot of the old one, both good deals for me in my opinion.

Regarding the next bike, I'd suggest getting something that falls into the usual beginner friendly A group. There are plenty of faired versions of those bikes so they'll have the sports bike look that you're keen on, pretty sure even the ER6 you had comes faired. I'd steer you away from the likes of a RR, you were on an A2 before and sold it shortly afterwards, which wouldn't give you much experience on the road, at 25 there's plenty of time to get yourself on an RR down the line, best to serve your time. Also, the other bikes are more suited to the test for slow riding uturns etc. if nothing else, get a test friendly bike and then upgrade afterwards once you have your NCB totted up and the full license in your back pocket.

You could be right. I'll ring insurance tomorrow and see how much they quote on cbr600 f4. If its too much or not possible then probably an SV650 or something along those lines.

Quick question, do I have to bring proof of address, ppsn etc to NDLS centre if I already had a learner permit? Keep in mind my learner permit has expired but I have a full Irish driving license for car.

So just got off the phone with Libery Insurance and not a hope would they quote me for the Honda cbr600f have to have full license for that. They wouldn't even quote me on the SV650s which shocked me as thats a beginner friendly bike?

She said they've changed their policy in regards to motorbike insurance and the next bike down I could insure on a provisional is something in the 125cc to 250cc range. Any one have any ideas? I haven't shopped around elsewhere yet so any recommendations would be nice. Thanks.

So just got off the phone with Libery Insurance and not a hope would they quote me for the Honda cbr600f have to have full license for that. They wouldn't even quote me on the SV650s which shocked me as thats a beginner friendly bike?

She said they've changed their policy in regards to motorbike insurance and the next bike down I could insure on a provisional is something in the 125cc to 250cc range. Any one have any ideas? I haven't shopped around elsewhere yet so any recommendations would be nice. Thanks.

Ring Carol Nash, axa and principle, probably won't get quote on cbr but should on sv

• Advertisement

Ring Carol Nash, axa and principle, probably won't get quote on cbr but should on sv

Its either that or get a Ninja 300 what u reckon. I'll try Sv650 first.

Its either that or get a Ninja 300 what u reckon. I'll try Sv650 first.

Nothing wrong with a ninja 300, just remember fully faired sports bikes are harder on the body to ride long distance, harder to turn in a small radius and god help you if you damage the plastics

Nothing wrong with a ninja 300, just remember fully faired sports bikes are harder on the body to ride long distance, harder to turn in a small radius and god help you if you damage the plastics

Would I benefit learning on the SV650 as opposed to the Ninja 300?

Love the fully faired look though.

Similar story in previous threads this year. Riders on an A or A2 and not able to get insured on a bike of that class, they had all just reached the age category to qualify for that class.

Similar story in previous threads this year. Riders on an A or A2 and not able to get insured on a bike of that class, they had all just reached the age category to qualify for that class.

Woman for liberty said their policies have changed so I can't even get insured on an ER6F what I had before with them. Guess I'll have to ring the other companies and see what they say about SV650. Other than that will probably have to be Ninja 300 or similar bike.

She also said I'd need a full license for 5 years to get insured on cbr600F

Would I benefit learning on the SV650 as opposed to the Ninja 300?

Love the fully faired look though.

Sv has more power (hp), far better handling and more forgiving to learn on than a ninja

I ride a sports bike and I'm telling ya to learn on anything else dude, lots of lads love them but can't stand riding them.
    If ya can insure one and absaloutly have to get one go for it, but drop it (you will everyone drops their first bike at some stage) and you'll cry at the price of fairings

Woman for liberty said their policies have changed so I can't even get insured on an ER6F what I had before with them. Guess I'll have to ring the other companies and see what they say about SV650. Other than that will probably have to be Ninja 300 or similar bike.

There's a good reason the CBR isn't on their list or has a whopper quote. Principal are probably your next best option at getting insured on a 600 but remember, not all 600s are equal, you'll probably be wasting your time trying to get a quote on a CBR.

Just as you mentioned the SVS, they have clip ons, and they aren't very comfortable ones at that, on full lock the bars touch the tank, not great for uturns. If you're set on a faired bike, the ER6F or yami diversion F are the sportiest looking I can think of. If you're willing to scrap the faired look to get a quote on a good beginner 600 the CBF is the best to start on IMO, if you can't get a quote on one you'll probably have to put the 600 A idea on the back burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

Principal best bet and prob best price!!

There's a good reason the CBR isn't on their list or has a whopper quote. Principal are probably your next best option at getting insured on a 600 but remember, not all 600s are equal, you'll probably be wasting your time trying to get a quote on a CBR.

Just as you mentioned the SVS, they have clip ons, and they aren't very comfortable ones at that, on full lock the bars touch the tank, not great for uturns. If you're set on a faired bike, the ER6F or yami diversion F are the sportiest looking I can think of. If you're willing to scrap the faired look to get a quote on a good beginner 600 the CBF is the best to start on IMO, if you can't get a quote on one you'll probably have to put the 600 A idea on the back burner.

Chances of finding an sv with swapped bars is pretty high if not its not much effort to change them over.
    Diversion and cbf have roughly the same hp/kw as an sv so he'll likely hit the same issue

• Advertisement

Good news rang Principal insurance earlier and straight forward no messing about €800 on SV650s! Time to buy one now.

Advertisement