Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage

Options
  • 17-10-2020 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hello, my partner and I have been together for nearly 20 years and now we'd like to get married. Could someone please tell us who to approach for that?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You need to contact your county civil registration office first and give them notice you intend to marry, this needs to be done at least 90 days before you can marry. Here's a list of them.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/contact-a-civil-registration-service.html

They will make an appointment to meet with both of you (not sure how that works at the moment with covid) and they will let you know what documents you need to bring with you - birth certs, passports etc.

I'm going to make a gigantic assumption here OP and guess that you and your partner are both Irish and are out to friends and family? The reason I bring it up is that you are also going to have to get a witness to the ceremony. In our case I was not able to provide this due to me not having lived in the country for ten years by that time and no longer having any close family members. Just saying this just in case.. (in the end we got our solicitor to do it for us btw)

Advertisement