Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewan and Charley Ride again - Long Way up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Phew, I thought I was alone.

I can't stand the smarmy prick.

Jesus i just clicked on 44teeth.
    20 secs in I had to turn it off, the accent on ya man...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Loved the first series

Although it had a feel of a bit of a brokeback mountain on wheels if you know what I mean.

Charlie was like a scourned husband when the misses turned up in the 2nd series .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

4Ad wrote: »
    Jesus i just clicked on 44teeth.
    20 secs in I had to turn it off, the accent on ya man...

His older stuff was really good but then his channel started to grow and got more and more commerical.

Their budget bike battles are worth following, but I still find 'The Barron a smarmy prick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you're interested in following someone on a BMW R1200GS travel I'd highly recommend Oisin Huges, another journey I've followed a number of times.

I can't get his channel to embed for some reason but all 52 of his video's are HERE

That's a brilliant series. I think he did one across America first but it was in book form. But his bike experience was, buy a bike, do a few hundred km, buy a GS, one practice weekend trip to wales then off to America. Ship the bike over, drive to the east coast in newfoundland, across to the west coast in Vancouver, up to the top of Alaska then down to the tip of argentina. Some trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bump - giving this a watch now. Halfway through the series. Its enjoyable so far. Interesting to see the HD in action. They actually dont look too bad tbf. Anyone else watching/watched it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

GBX wrote: »
    Bump - giving this a watch now. Halfway through the series. Its enjoyable so far. Interesting to see the HD in action. They actually dont look too bad tbf. Anyone else watching/watched it yet?

Im loving it and at the same time its nostalgically making me feel old because 16 odd years have passed since the first one and I am now older than Ewan and Charlie were at the time. It felt like yesterday.

Ive realised ive done **** all of novelty with my life and lack a bit of adventure (covid probably exacerbating that feeling).

I am endeavouring to get my license now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

There is only one episode left but to me it feels like they have a lot of travel left to do. I fear it wont be given adequate time.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    Im loving it and at the same time its nostalgically making me feel old because 16 odd years have passed since the first one and I am now older than Ewan and Charlie were at the time. It felt like yesterday.

Ive realised ive done **** all of novelty with my life and lack a bit of adventure (covid probably exacerbating that feeling).

I am endeavouring to get my license now too.

Get the license - you won't regret it!

The first ones were great tv. Like them or not, it certainly helped put more bikes on the road with the rush to get GS's. Can't be a bad thing.

So far its great in that they have the challenges with electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I didn't mention the mega genset equipped truck/s as support vehicles for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

GBX wrote: »

Where can you watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where can you watch it?

With a subscription to Apple TV or other suitable licenced provider, #cough

Bluefoam wrote: »
    With a subscription to Apple TV or other suitable licenced provider, #cough

This is where I'm watching it. On a subscrIPTion based serVice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Really enjoying it myself, around episode 6 or 7 i think. The scenery is spectacular and no doubt it should be on all our bucket lists to visit that part of the world.

I signed up for the Apple tv+ for a month to watch it, think it's a fiver for a month or something and possibly you get a week free. Well worth it in my opinion for fantastic video quality on the big screen. Will probably watch a few more bits on it within the month so not too fussed and happy to support the show for a very small cost.

I remember watching the long way down when i was younger and it was what really spurred on the motorcycle interest for me. The banter of Ewen and Charlie on this one is good, Ewen is fairly witty most of the time. I don't know anything about his exploits of late, but he has lots of time for people who recognise him along the way and ask for photos.

I can only comment on what i have seen so far but they are relatively open about the limitations of the electric bikes and discuss openly that the challenge for the trip is more about the careful balance between mileage and accessibility to charge points, rather than the nature of the journey itself. I'm quite interested in the whole EV sphere as a whole so I'm enjoying that part of the challenge for them. I also appreciate that it is a show for our enjoyment and to date they haven't shoved opinions down the viewers throat or pushed any sort of environmental agenda.

They seem like capable machines and other (mainly youtube) reviews of the bikes are certainly initially pretty positive. I think an electric motorcycle is potentially the first electric vehicle many of us on this forum could end up purchasing as a cost effective commuter option. I certainly could see myself shelling out for an electric bike to commute to work on a lot sooner than i would go all in on an electric family car.

Also watching Oisin Hughes - Not dead yet. Irish lad who did an epic trip on a GS as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

A rant:

I’ve only tomorrow’s episode left to watch. While it is great to see adventure motorbike travel, great scenery and all that but there are a few things I can’t get past in terms of really enjoying it:

• They seemed very surprised initially at how the cold affected battery life. Surely they should have been well prepared for that. They eventually learn to keep the bikes warm when charging – seems pretty remedial

• The diesel generator on the back of a van……..

• The first two episodes where they were actually travelling (probably episodes 2 & 3) they talked non-stop about the range, charging the bike etc. Absolute snore fest. They obviously realised this was crap TV and barely mention it again from about episode 4 onwards. Felt like a big u-turn. From episode 4 onwards, the bikes are magically charged all the time and range stops becoming an issue apparently

• The speed – they drive around at incredibly slow speeds. You can see the speedos. I get they are trying to maximise battery life but I’d fall asleep at 16mph on a bike – more so watching someone else drive that slow. McGregor mentions in a later episode that they hit 100mph at one point – so why the feck didn’t they show it? The entire series so far has had an average speed of about 30mph

• The soundtrack is bet on – it doesn’t fit and is trying to convey a sense a freedom and adventure that is absent from the actual content of the show

• At one point, some guy shows them a bottle of local moonshine. They sniff it. They don’t drink it. Bourdain would turn in his grave. Good travel is about throwing yourself into new things and rolling with the punches. But - maybe they're both off the drink and I'm being unfair

• The complete and absolute lack of adventure. The maddest thing that happens is an electric vehicle breaks down. These guys sleepwalk their way through some of the most exciting countries on earth and I think that’s my biggest problem with it – it’s a wasted opportunity. No one else could do a trip like they did – they have Harley and Rivian on speed dial, handlers helping them at border crossings. They had to figure precisely f*ck all out for themselves and I think that’s almost the best part of a trip like this one – getting yourself into and out of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Agree with most of the above but I'm also taking it for what it is and that is a tame version of the first show. But I expected that since they're on electric bikes, they're 15 years older, Charlie is fragile, apple own it.

I actually expected the first episodes to be all electric bike limit BS because this is the same format of the previous series, oh ktm or BMW, oh no, ktm pulled out, claudio doesn't have a license oh no. And so on.

Pretty sure on the drinking bit they probably just edited it out, being a driving show I'd expect they were being careful.

The slow speeds is because now they have drones etc. And if you have seen episode 8, Ewan says to the 4th wall, you're probably watching episode 8, It's heavily directed I'd say, not as raw as the originals.

But as above, I'm able to accept this, it's a good show, in fact it's the best motorbike show right now. I'm able to enjoy it, I think every episode is better than the previous, pity about the poor start. The lads are as enjoyable to watch as much as they were back then and the places they visit are very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Wanted ep1 last night. Hard to compare or feel excited for or about the two of them, the trip and the appliances they're riding on. Still and all I'll watch on for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

H_Lime wrote: »
    Wanted ep1 last night. Hard to compare or feel excited for or about the two of them, the trip and the appliances they're riding on. Still and all I'll watch on for now.

I think it gets better as you progress, the first 2 episodes were slow and dull so that's not too difficult, but later episodes are much more interesting. I've re-watched the first 2 series over the years and always started on episode 3 for them so it's no different in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

It's not giving me the goo for a lecky bike. They could've gone twice as far in half the time on CG 125's for a nano fraction of the cost. They original series showed us that there's a big world outside and we can have a piece of it, if we dare. Where as this one says were going electric so suck it up..
    oops I'm running low, have to find my charger.

It's not giving me the goo for a lecky bike. They could've gone twice as far in half the time on CG 125's for a nano fraction of the cost. They original series showed us that there's a big world outside and we can have a piece of it, if we dare. Where as this one says were going electric so suck it up..

Who needs a 125 :D

100 times more adventure and a miniscule budget in comparison and what a cool little bike. :) Many more channels like it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/c90adventures/videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

go do the monkey Run in Peru xD

I'd love to do it sometime myself! travel through Peru on a motorcycle

Someone needs to explain to me... I missed a tiny bit at some stage, probably a few episodes ago... I realise they had to get the bus and I realise they had to build out the bus and then get the paperwork, then get on the bus with the bikes and eventually just get off the bus and leave it at the side of the road....

What was the actual need for the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Who needs a 125 :D

100 times more adventure and a miniscule budget in comparison and what a cool little bike. :) Many more channels like it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/c90adventures/videos

I took yer advice and have been watching this instead of them two. It's brill.

H_Lime wrote: »
    I took yer advice and have been watching this instead of them two. It's brill.

The temps they camp out in are unreal, Ewan and Charlie would be in the 5 star hotel if it hit sub anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Someone needs to explain to me... I missed a tiny bit at some stage, probably a few episodes ago... I realise they had to get the bus and I realise they had to build out the bus and then get the paperwork, then get on the bus with the bikes and eventually just get off the bus and leave it at the side of the road....

What was the actual need for the bus?

Security, cartel gangs.

Quite long winded though, and for something they probably should have known about.

Good show, looking forward to watching the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

I read the book and heard various interviews. Cannot understand what motivates them. They have zero interest in the countries, peoples and landscapes they drive through. Boring petrolheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

IMO Ewan needs the money for the old family and the newer model he has, and Charlie likes an adventure and a little cash, don't we all. It's not a show I'll be watching,too much set up ,with back up crew etc, it's really not an adventure compared to what's on YouTube adventure riders.

I can't really understand the backlash... It's just two guys doing their own adventure in their own way... It's interesting and iike Charley... It's just entertainment.

It's not like it's being put forward as the seminal guide to adventure...

So-what if there's stuff on YouTube that's better or different. I'll watch that too.

People can take this stuff way too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

Hope you enjoy it, but it's not about 2 guy's doing things their own way, the whole show is planned out by a huge team as like any major production on screen. Horses for courses,and I'm out.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    the whole show is planned out by a huge team as like any major production on screen

That sounds like the vast majority of TV entertainment... It doesn't bother me, I rode bikes before the first series, so it's importance to me is just good entertainment.

The two things can exist side by side without offending anyone...

Advertisement