Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roomba or equivalent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Have option of Neato Robotics Botvac D3 or a iRobot Roomba 650, just wondering what people think would be best?

The Botvac will be about 50 quid more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Have option of Neato Robotics Botvac D3 or a iRobot Roomba 650, just wondering what people think would be best?

The Botvac will be about 50 quid more.....

That's a tough one but not for the reason you might think. I had a Roomba but sent it back. It cleaned pretty good but it's bouncing around method of cleaning drove me up the wall and my wife thought it was ridiculous. As mentioned earlier in this thread I happened on a great deal on a Botvac Connected ( the top of the range one) as an Amazon warehouse deal just after Christmas. It was unused, the owner couldn't get the wifi working ��. The thing is, my wife said only the other day, that if it breaks, she doesn't care how much it costs, repair or replace it. It's a God-send when you're both working, and it cleans - quickly.

The D3 you're looking at is like the Roomba in that it is a lower end model. Don't worry about wifi as that is just a gimmick - the inbuilt scheduler takes care of all of that. I think I got Alexa to start it once to impress my brother but I've never used it since. The D3 doesn't have a side-brush and that makes it tough for the Botvac to get the dirt out of edges. On the other hand, the Roomba is round, so can't do corners properly and you know - it bounces around randomly.

Both will do an OK job, but once you've witnessed a robot that can map and clean systematically an entire house on one charge, and find its way home easily, it's hard to go for a Roomba.

The older D85 often turns up at a price similar to a D3 so might be worth considering too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

The Xiaomi seems to one of the best for your money these days. I watched a few reviews on YouTube. Awesome bit of kit

woidoi wrote: »
    That's a tough one but not for the reason you might think. I had a Roomba but sent it back. It cleaned pretty good but it's bouncing around method of cleaning drove me up the wall and my wife thought it was ridiculous. As mentioned earlier in this thread I happened on a great deal on a Botvac Connected ( the top of the range one) as an Amazon warehouse deal just after Christmas. It was unused, the owner couldn't get the wifi working ��. The thing is, my wife said only the other day, that if it breaks, she doesn't care how much it costs, repair or replace it. It's a God-send when you're both working, and it cleans - quickly.

The D3 you're looking at is like the Roomba in that it is a lower end model. Don't worry about wifi as that is just a gimmick - the inbuilt scheduler takes care of all of that. I think I got Alexa to start it once to impress my brother but I've never used it since. The D3 doesn't have a side-brush and that makes it tough for the Botvac to get the dirt out of edges. On the other hand, the Roomba is round, so can't do corners properly and you know - it bounces around randomly.

Both will do an OK job, but once you've witnessed a robot that can map and clean systematically an entire house on one charge, and find its way home easily, it's hard to go for a Roomba.

The older D85 often turns up at a price similar to a D3 so might be worth considering too.

Thanks, I have read a few reviews and they seem to say the similar....I am systematic myself so I know the older robovac I had drove me nuts bouncing around the house ....

I thin k the D3 might be the best job, also I seen, if it is cleaning and battery runs out it will return, charge and head back out. The Roomba can't do that....I have large house so this would be a great help.

Thanks, I have read a few reviews and they seem to say the similar....I am systematic myself so I know the older robovac I had drove me nuts bouncing around the house ....

I thin k the D3 might be the best job, also I seen, if it is cleaning and battery runs out it will return, charge and head back out. The Roomba can't do that....I have large house so this would be a great help.

Seriously take a look at the Xiaomi, it has everything you want and does 250m2 on a single charge.

https://www.allhomerobotics.com/roomba-980-vs-xiaomi-mi-robot-vacuum/

Less than €280 at the moment too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I had one of these... but wanted more control over where it went... thought about developing a control app but rather than invest in app development, I duct tapped a shtick to the vacuum & now I can walk around with the machine and direct it as I want. Such a great improvement and a definite step forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Have been using the Xiaomi (v1) since August and I'm very happy with the performance! It might struggle a bit on thick carpets, but the house has mainly hard floors so that's not a big problem for us. Basically, lift shower mats and whatever is lying down on the floor, and let it run.

Price of the v1 has dropped plenty after the v2 was introduced. Have a look around the likes of geekbuying, gearbest, aliexpress, tomtop etc. And use TopCashback to get some monies back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just a tip, be sure to invest in some of the "invisible wall" barriers to prevent your guy getting caught in wires etc.

Phil, my Roomba, is merrily cleaning up downstairs while I'm relaxing with a coffee upstairs. No fear of where he'll go as I've got the barriers setup.

Coming down to a clean house in about 10mins :)

@mrcheez I actually got 3 of them delivered yesterday, and will try laying them down under the edge of the one big carpet so that we can let it run in the living room as well. As for wires, I'm obsessed, so none of them lying around :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Still looking at one of these any good offers for black Friday.

Just want to make mine and Miss Gunners life bit easier for cleaning wooden floors and finds base. Not necessarily Alexa or Harmony enabled..

Anyone Bueller ☺️☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

yannakis wrote: »

What sort of plug does it come with? That'd be a concern for me.

What sort of plug does it come with? That'd be a concern for me.

Honestly, why would that be a concern?

Mine came with the Chinese one and a UK plug adaptor.

JEmC2DYm.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

How do these deal with saddle boards? Or do you have to lift over them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

eddiem74 wrote: »

How high is it?

My Roomba can climb over my coir doormat easily which is about 3cm high

• Advertisement

All good with Xiaomi too. In my previous place we had a rather tall "step" between tiles and engineered wood, and it did just fine. Sometimes I noticed on the map that it didn't go exactly straight, but it would reverse/change angle slightly/try again.

Where is the best place to get the Xiaomi? Have not purchased anything from any of the Chinese sites and wondering about reliability and customs etc?

Where is the best place to get the Xiaomi? Have not purchased anything from any of the Chinese sites and wondering about reliability and customs etc?

Got mine from aliexpress back in August, from a seller shipping from Germany. Many Chinese sites have sellers shipping from around Europe so have a look around.

If you end up buying from outside the EU, calculate VAT+handling fee of Anpost/Courier (~€20).

Looking at websites no real deals. How do you determine if a European reseller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Honestly, why would that be a concern?

Mine came with the Chinese one and a UK plug adaptor.

JEmC2DYm.png

I don't mind cheap Chinese electronics that don't need to be permanently left plugged in but those that do, I'm always wary of the quality of the power supply.

How's the quality of the unit with the Xiaomi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I own the Roomba 650 for a year now. Great Machine. But if I was buying now, I would definitely get the Xioami. Its the equivalent of the Roomba 980 at circa €900.
    Xioami is a much more intelligent robot than 650 roomba. Xioami have taken the best of Roomba and Neato Connected and made their own device at a fraction of the cost.

I don't mind cheap Chinese electronics that don't need to be permanently left plugged in but those that do, I'm always wary of the quality of the power supply.

Xiaomi is good quality stuff

You could throw a Samsung sticker on it and sell it for €850 :cool:

Every product I've tried from Xiaomi is very good quality, very similar standards to DJI, Oneplus, Oppo, and the likes of Top Shenzhen brands.

givecredit wrote: »
    I own the Roomba 650 for a year now. Great Machine. But if I was buying now, I would definitely get the Xioami. Its the equivalent of the Roomba 980 at circa €900.
    Xioami is a much more intelligent robot than 650 roomba. Xioami have taken the best of Roomba and Neato Connected and made their own device at a fraction of the cost.

I have loads of Xioami kit and it is great

It mentions on the lin Generation 1. That would be a concern or not?

How is it buying from Gearbest and customs take this is coming from China. Tempted to buy but don't want Customs to hinder my decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

We had a Roomba 770 that we bought 4-5 years ago and I sold off a few months back. Used for about 6 months, I was not very impressed.

Have newer models improved? My issues with it were... it would get stuck under the couch/armchair or it would start a cycle, clean for 10 minutes and then claim to be finished having missed most of the downstairs.

I have loads of Xioami kit and it is great

It mentions on the lin Generation 1. That would be a concern or not?

No concern. Its still 2017 model. The Gen 2 has a mob facility.

How is it buying from Gearbest and customs take this is coming from China. Tempted to buy but don't want Customs to hinder my decision

I think Gearbest had way to ship direct which might mean you miss customs. Check the forum on bargain!

Got mine from aliexpress back in August, from a seller shipping from Germany. Many Chinese sites have sellers shipping from around Europe so have a look around.

If you end up buying from outside the EU, calculate VAT+handling fee of Anpost/Courier (~€20).

Just wondering how does it clean? is it like the Roomba and just bumps it way around? Thanks

• Advertisement

Just wondering how does it clean? is it like the Roomba and just bumps it way around? Thanks

No, it maps out the room first then cleans in an orderly fashion. User uses similar technology to self drive Google car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m91rEfzp3DA

Check end of video to see it in action. ( Since this video was made, the app is now in English)

No, it maps out the room first then cleans in an orderly fashion. User uses similar technology to self drive Google car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m91rEfzp3DA

Check end of video to see it in action. ( Since this video was made, the app is now in English)

My wife will kill me if I buy one but then again she is used to me buying stuff

The small issue I see is the dust bin size. It says it has 0.42ltr. The one I had before was 0.3ltr and it would fill up very quickly

I am just wondering will it be big enough

My house is 3,000 sq ft but in reality I will block off half the house so it will be covering about 1,500 sq ft. I just wonder would it have a dust bin big enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

endacl wrote: »

I think that is about the 5th time I seen that posted :p

My wife will kill me if I buy one but then again she is used to me buying stuff

The small issue I see is the dust bin size. It says it has 0.42ltr. The one I had before was 0.3ltr and it would fill up very quickly

I am just wondering will it be big enough

My house is 3,000 sq ft but in reality I will block off half the house so it will be covering about 1,500 sq ft. I just wonder would it have a dust bin big enough

If your robot is going to be cleaning on a regular basis, realistically how much dirt will it gather on each clean?

If your robot is going to be cleaning on a regular basis, realistically how much dirt will it gather on each clean?

Have you ever seen 3 kids in action? I hoovered the sitting room yesterday, before I got to finsih the rest of the house I had to go back twice and clean up sections they had already made a mess of :P

It's really high quality, it's built like a far more expensive machine.

Have a look at the reviews on YouTube

Xiaomi are going global at the moment with mobile phones, really impressive company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

tedpan wrote:
    Xiaomi are going global at the moment with mobile phones, really impressive company.

Xiaomi are a top brand IMO, very smart, good battery life , well made, latest features etc

mrcheez wrote: »
    How high is it?

My Roomba can climb over my coir doormat easily which is about 3cm high
    All good with Xiaomi too. In my previous place we had a rather tall "step" between tiles and engineered wood, and it did just fine. Sometimes I noticed on the map that it didn't go exactly straight, but it would reverse/change angle slightly/try again.

Sorry for the delay... Saddle board is similar in shape to this: https://www.woodies.ie/pre-finished-oak-saddle-board-1m-1078309

Would this be an issue or?

• Advertisement

Did you figure out customs?

Did you figure out customs?

I asked question on Gearbest thread but no answer from them yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I asked question on Gearbest thread but no answer from them yet

What's there to work out??
    Customs is simple - anything over the value of $22 coming from outside the EU you should be paying duty on.
    However, certain channels are more prone to enforcement than others.
    So whenever you get a package into the country with a value of more than $22 you have gotten away with being charged.

With DHL I'd imagine they get the price and type of the item on collection, and they know the destination, and it automatically goes into the "process for customs" pool.

With other more public delivery methods its down to whether it randomly gets picked out by customs officials for a check.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    What's there to work out??
    Customs is simple - anything over the value of $22 coming from outside the EU you should be paying duty on.
    However, certain channels are more prone to enforcement than others.
    So whenever you get a package into the country with a value of more than $22 you have gotten away with being charged.

With DHL I'd imagine they get the price and type of the item on collection, and they know the destination, and it automatically goes into the "process for customs" pool.

With other more public delivery methods its down to whether it randomly gets picked out by customs officials for a check.

Gearbest seemingly offer a shipping method on some items that is quicker and less risky for customs.....I was asking to confirm if that method available for the hoover

Seems to be basic model and just as cheap as elsewhere so going to hold of on purchasing this

Still tempted by the Xiaomi but just cannot justify the price yet

• Advertisement

Seems to be basic model and just as cheap as elsewhere so going to hold of on purchasing this

Still tempted by the Xiaomi but just cannot justify the price yet

Same here, I would buy tomorrow but gearbest only seem to supply at decent price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

thats not really a good deal at all £230 = €260 , especially considering there are better models available at that price . here is the same model for €60 less at €199 https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/irobot-roomba-605

i recently bought an Irobot Braava 390t mop from them and its a fantastic bit of kit and they were very good to deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

thats not really a good deal at all £230 = €260 , especially considering there are better models available at that price . here is the same model for €60 less at €199 https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/irobot-roomba-605

i recently bought an Irobot Braava 390t mop from them and its a fantastic bit of kit and they were very good to deal with
    Interesting about the mop...next item for me.

With myrobotcenter.eu, can't say I had a good experience with them when buying Roomba a few months ago. They disputed whether I had paid or not, were very difficult to get in touch with, opening many support tickets with many people rather than dealing with queries - overall a 1 week delivery took about 3 with a lot of grief. Maybe I was a once off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Dardania wrote: »
    Interesting about the mop...next item for me.

With myrobotcenter.eu, can't say I had a good experience with them when buying Roomba a few months ago. They disputed whether I had paid or not, were very difficult to get in touch with, opening many support tickets with many people rather than dealing with queries - overall a 1 week delivery took about 3 with a lot of grief. Maybe I was a once off...

maybe i was just lucky . i asked could i buy from their uk site to get a uk plug and they responded immediately saying they would add one to my order which they did . and it shipped out the next day . delivery was slow though about 10-12 days but other than that cant fault them . especially considering their prices

Sorry to pull this back up, I am still looking for Robo Hoover

I seen the Neato D85 and the D5 connected. The D5 is about 80 quid more and wondering do you need the app?

Anyone any experience?

Can you set the D85 timer etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement