Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

azee76 wrote: »
    I just got a call from AC and got the TC!!!

Huge congrats, a great achievement!

Are firms still generally doing a group assessment aspect (remotely of course) of interviews given the current climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 azee76

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Are firms still generally doing a group assessment aspect (remotely of course) of interviews given the current climate?

AC did still do the group interview yeah. It was very well organized actually and I found that everyone got a chance to be heard, moreso than in the in-person group interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Also got a call from AC! Not a bad day :D

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Also got a call from AC! Not a bad day :D

Congrats!

• Advertisement

AC did still do the group interview yeah. It was very well organized actually and I found that everyone got a chance to be heard, moreso than in the in-person group interviews.

Any tips/advice? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beatriz2020

caius97 wrote: »
    Just got called for interview with Hayes on 1st December!

Congrats!

And apologies, as I’ve asked a different poster above, was it a call or email? I’m living abroad and worry that my phone won’t be reachable (rather than my applications are just crap haha!)

I have lots but essentially: try to display good communication skills and commercial awareness. Don't speak for the sake of just speaking. Think before you speak and make sure you have a logical and reasonable argument. A lot of inexperienced people tend to speak for ages and over other people. They know when you try to do that and they don't like it.

They may reject you in the group stage even if you have a first class honours degrees and lots of extracurriculars, if you waffle over other people. Just be relaxed and laid back and you'll be fine. I know it's easier said than done though, especially when you haven't done group interviews before.

I have lots but essentially: try to display good communication skills and commercial awareness. Don't speak for the sake of just speaking. Think before you speak and make sure you have a logical and reasonable argument. A lot of inexperienced people tend to speak for ages and over other people. They know when you try to do that and they don't like it.

They may reject you in the group stage even if you have a first class honours degrees and lots of extracurriculars, if you waffle over other people. Just be relaxed and laid back and you'll be fine. I know it's easier said than done though, especially when you haven't done group interviews before.

Adding on to this - be someone that they know they can work with. Have opinions, but be respectful. Be willing to say what you think is right, but also have the temerity to consider other people's perspectives. Don't be too serious, don't be too casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

Congrats everyone on the AC offers!

Did anyone hear back from Dechert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 lamacg95

Did BW let anyone know when offers would be made after second round interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beatriz2020

I presume RDJ Dublin have already called people for interview and I’m due a PFO? Anyone hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

Congrats to everyone who has received an offer!!

Are you doing a group interview for Fieldfisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ACGrad2023

AA247 wrote: »
    I wasn’t sure which of your posts to comment under but I have to say you are incredibly arrogant and it’s quite rich you giving application and career advice to people when you openly said you were being “looked after”. Arthur Cox will be lucky to have you haha.

I think someone with a 1.1 L&B degree who knows how the legal profession works is the best person to be giving application and career advice. Arthur Cox will be very lucky to have me.

I just got a call from AC and got the TC!!!

Congratulations. That's amazing for someone in in 3rd year and you should be very proud.

I'm looking forward to working with all of you in AC when we start. The intakes are small so we'll get to know eachother very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

I was called.

I was emailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

I presume RDJ Dublin have already called people for interview and I’m due a PFO? Anyone hear?

I hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 borke

Has anyone heard from RDJ? Got an email last week saying I was shortlisted for interview in the Galway office and they were to be in contact later in the week with a time and date and haven’t heard anything yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

ACGrad2023 wrote: »
    I'll probably get attacked for this but my experience in college is that anyone with a 1.1 and good LC points will get interviews from top firms without legal experience. People have had 4 years to get legal experience and don't have an excuse for not having it but it's not a requirement to get a traineeship.

I'm actually in final year and know several people in my course who are averaging firsts and high LC points [my course was 540s] that didn't even get invited to interview with some firms this year, and none of them have legal experience.

I also hope you realise there are several reasons why people have not had legal experience in law firms.
    In my case, I've never applied to do an internship because I needed to work at home over the summer to offset the cost of college for the subsequent year and cannot subsidise the costs of living in Dublin in a month that I don't receive SUSI.

Nevertheless, congratulations to you (and others) for receiving a TC offer today. You are obviously an impressive candidate but the arrogance is painful.

I hope some of you guys are much nicer in person. We're going to be future colleagues! I don't think the passive-aggressiveness helps anyone.

• Advertisement

I hope some of you guys are much nicer in person. We're going to be future colleagues! I don't think the passive-aggressiveness helps anyone.

Seems to be mainly down to one individual in fairness to the forum.

These "connections" that were mentioned are going to have a lot more "looking after" to do by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

CO.LAW20 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just made an account to ask for opinions.
    I applied to most firms this year and got one interview for DE where I did not succeed to the second round.
    What am I doing wrong?
    -got 515 converted points in LC (did LC in Germany)
    -got 1.1 in LLBH from Griffith College
    -currently doing LLM at University of Edinburgh
    -sat my first FE-1 while doing masters
    -extensive work experience in different EU countries and internationally in finance and law
    -multilingual (French, German, English)
    Thanks

Well done - you certainly have an impressive CV and are on course for a successful career. Unfortunately, like so many of us here, it is a highly competitive market for training contracts.

I think something you should consider doing is following up with DE and see if they have any advice for you on what aspects of your interview technique you could improve on, if any. That way you may be able to get some worthwhile advice from those who interviewed you.

You also mentioned that you are doing an LLM at the moment - is there a careers advisory service at the uni? I know when I was doing my undergrad study you could do mock interviews with the careers service. This could be worth checking out.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LegalEagle2023

LeGal97 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this with me, it definitely makes me feel hopeful! Is this a group that you joined when in Blackhall or is it accessible to anyone?

Thank you, I will take this on board for future applications. I have always tried to view it like that. :)

It’s open to anyone tbh, I just graduated this year.

Keep the head up high!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LegalEagle2023

I applied to most firms this year and got one interview for DE where I did not succeed to the second round.
    What am I doing wrong?
    -extensive work experience in different EU countries and internationally in finance and law
    Thanks

The market for training contracts is extremely competitive but you also need to remember that these processes are fairly arbitrary so if it doesn’t go your way don’t be disheartened: on a different day with a different interviewer it may well have landed for you. Give yourself some credit for getting to the interview; use it as a learning curve.

You clearly have an impressive CV with an array of experience etc. You have a bright career ahead.

My personal advice to you would be to go back over your applications and see what it is you could improve on; for example being able to make a personal connection with a firm and giving reasons as to why they should choose you over another candidate. You are doing a lot of different things which is great but try and narrow your focus as firms could get the impression that you are unsure as to what direction you’re going. Make it clear to them that despite that, you are 1 truly focused on qualifying in Ireland and 2 with that specific firm. - it’s great to have all those accolades but you need to ask yourself where it fits in with them.

Another option is to also go down the U.K. qualification route. It is more competitive but a quicker route to qualifying nonetheless; especially considering the fact you’re studying at Edinburgh now, the U.K. firms will look on that fondly. Find a firm that suits you and then tailor that application to them. I.e. Baker McKenzie, Linklaters etc. Those firms are rebound for having a lot of diverse candidates from across the globe so if it’s something that is or interest to you definitely give it a shot!! Your careers office at University will definitely be able to guide you in that regard.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

I think you should make sure your application covers you wanting to live in Ireland. Since you went to school in Germany, are doing your masters in Edinburgh, and have international work experience they might be think you're not serious about staying for the longer term.

Has anyone gotten an offer email from AC yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CO.LAW20

Thanks guys for your informative responses! Appreciate the help, and will try again next year.

Has anyone gotten an offer email from AC yet

I was wondering about that too. Let me know if you do. I'm thinking maybe Friday is the latest day we'll get it? (Tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 roofus22

Has anybody heard from RDJ Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Dillon Eustace anyone? Hopefully we hear tomorrow

Advertisement