Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for best friend - F, 40s

Options
  • 25-11-2020 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭

This year I'm really struggling with a gift for my bestie, it's the only present outstanding and I keep hitting a blank.

She's got REALLY sensitive skin so that rules out toiletries, cosmetics, perfume, jewellery and anything you wear. She also has a really small apartment so no storage for "stuff". On a major fitness kick so no chocs or booze.

In the past I've got her art, luggage, vouchers, tickets - but this year I've hit a blank. Her birthday is December too so we normally just do one present for both as mine is in January.

Any thoughts? Covid is killing her main hobby (theatre), she loves music and art as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Headphones for her fitness kick and cause she loves music?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Loughc wrote: »
    Headphones for her fitness kick and cause she loves music?

Good idea. Not sure if they'd irritate her skin though. I've never met someone who has such trouble with things that touch their skin. My heart goes out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Due to the skin sensitivities is a voucher for a spa day or similar out ? Could always be massage or seasweed bath type options

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Due to the skin sensitivities is a voucher for a spa day or similar out ? Could always be massage or seasweed bath type options

Yeah, unfortunately not a runner. We did one a few years back, won't be repeating that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Pistachio19

Magazine subscription
    Handbag/purse
    Food hamper
    Tipperary crystal/newbridge Christmas tree decorations
    Or you could both go for a night away after Xmas, to cover Xmas and both birthdays

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Does she drink tea/coffee/hot chocolate?

I got my friend a Fortnum and Mason tea selection gift for Christmas, and it looks lovely.

For the theatre side of things, The Abbey are already advertising a production of Dracula for February/March. Tickets are going fast, if you prefer to go down the events route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Clutch bag or handbag

Throw for the couch or cushions

Framed photo of the 2 of ye

Ikea .. .... lots of ideas there for her apartment

Nice bottle of gin

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

depends how long "best friend"
    a long phone call reminiscing seems a female like.
    of course as a male i may face backlash from some females.
    Simple things like time and talk seem to be a female pleasure
    from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Does she wear gloves at all? You can not have too many of them and they tend to get lost, so an extra pair is always welcome.

As she likes art, how about getting her something from an (online) Museum shop ?
    Down the years, I bought for myself: silk scarves, pens, and shopper bags - all with my favourite paintings. I also gave those as gifts and they were very well received (as in: I got heavy hints to get more of the same!).

You could ask her which skincare brand she is using now, and then get her the hand cream from that brand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

A subscription to a magazine is a great idea. A quick search suggests a couple of theatre magazines. Or an online course to learn painting or drawing? ETA I also meant to suggest paying for her to become a friend of the NCH or the Abbey Theatre, or a similar cultural institution... some nice perks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lots of free art & dance classes online.

Gaiety School of Acting - they (used) do some one day or half day courses - acting for cameras, voice coaching etc. Perhaps? Might be pricey thou.

Is she into opera? The (NY) Met have some amazing online ticketed events - (and some weightwatchers wine!!? ) Not too expensive.

itunes voucher ?

Advertisement