Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Shelly 1 relay in ceiling light fitting

Options
  • 16-11-2020 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have 2 large LED panel lights mounted in my kitchen ceiling that I would like add some smart control to - mainly voice control with Alexa!

There is no neutral at the physical light switch, with no real option to wire any in without huge disruption - the switch is just in the wrong place with respect to the house wiring.

The same goes for the light fittings, no option to get a permanent live to it.

So currently looking at using a Shelly 1 relay at the light fitting.

Looking at the connection options, it seems I would connect the switched live to the L, SW & I, neutral to N and LED, O to LED.
    If I leave the light switch on, then I think it should work and the relay could be controlled by an app or alexa, if configured correctly.
    If I switch the light switch off, then the power is killed to the Shelly itself and the LED, so it goes off.

My question is what would happen when I turn the switch back on again?

I assume the shelly would boot up and connect to wifi again etc, and it should be available to control in the app/alexa etc. - not sure how long that would take! I think most relays are normally open with no power, so initially would the relay close and give power to the LED, like the way hue bulbs do when you switch the power to them off/on!
    If that worked then it means the switch could still be left in place and just taped over.

Is my understanding correct?
    If so, is that a reasonable way to use a Shelly switch? - could easily apply to a Sonoff as well, I think!

TIA
    WW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

I have 2 large LED panel lights mounted in my kitchen ceiling that I would like add some smart control to - mainly voice control with Alexa!

There is no neutral at the physical light switch, with no real option to wire any in without huge disruption - the switch is just in the wrong place with respect to the house wiring.

The same goes for the light fittings, no option to get a permanent live to it.

So currently looking at using a Shelly 1 relay at the light fitting.

Looking at the connection options, it seems I would connect the switched live to the L, SW & I, neutral to N and LED, O to LED.
    If I leave the light switch on, then I think it should work and the relay could be controlled by an app or alexa, if configured correctly.
    If I switch the light switch off, then the power is killed to the Shelly itself and the LED, so it goes off.

My question is what would happen when I turn the switch back on again?

I assume the shelly would boot up and connect to wifi again etc, and it should be available to control in the app/alexa etc. - not sure how long that would take! I think most relays are normally open with no power, so initially would the relay close and give power to the LED, like the way hue bulbs do when you switch the power to them off/on!
    If that worked then it means the switch could still be left in place and just taped over.

Is my understanding correct?
    If so, is that a reasonable way to use a Shelly switch? - could easily apply to a Sonoff as well, I think!

TIA
    WW

Taping over light switches is a bad idea and just annoying, having a physical switch in most cases is more convenient than an app.

You can set how the Shelly behaves after a power cut from its config page.

Shelly dimmers can work at the switch without a neutral.

You should have a permanent live and neutral at the ceiling, so installing there with a working switch should not be an issue anyway.

Here is a typical ceiling rose.
    You have access to live, neutral and switch wires here.

https://www.flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/lighting_ceiling_rose_looped.cs4

533009.png

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

@emaherx

Thanks for response.
    Agree re tape over switches, not a great idea.
    Will look into shelly config after power cut.
    As regards wiring, unfortunately house is typical Irish semi-d circa 30+years old, back then lighting circuits were wired with just looped neutrals at light fittings, and looped live at light switches. So no neutral or earth at light switch, and no permanent live or earth at light fittings - not great for adapting to the smart world!
    Fitted led panels are not dimmable, so assume smart relay dimmers are no use.

@emaherx

Thanks for response.
    Agree re tape over switches, not a great idea.
    Will look into shelly config after power cut.
    As regards wiring, unfortunately house is typical Irish semi-d circa 30+years old, back then lighting circuits were wired with just looped neutrals at light fittings, and looped live at light switches. So no neutral or earth at light switch, and no permanent live or earth at light fittings - not great for adapting to the smart world!
    Fitted led panels are not dimmable, so assume smart relay dimmers are no use.

Here's a screenshot of settings from one of my Shelly's .

533116.jpeg

There are other smart switches (not dimmers) available now which apparently require no neutral they use a capacitor to provide power to device while switch is off. But they are not from Shelly.

Advertisement