Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iot trackers

Options
  • 31-07-2019 8:50pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok I've a few if these. But I'm only interested in talking about tile and chipolo for this as I posted on the others before and they were not great

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a tile for a few months. Still don't have it on Google assistant, you don't add it like a regular partner device, its not listed. You have to ask Google assistant

"Ask tile to find my wallet" this kicks off a whole registration process, unfortunately I get a " this service cannot available in your country yet" I'm sure there is work around.

Anyway the tile is robust has a good map and web site links to your phone on too.

Cant change the battery but has the biggest community, is the current leader in this space. There are a few versions of it. One is waterproof

Edit

The newer version of the tile has a replaceable battery

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Chipolo

Just got one, a doddle to add to google assistant, I just ask it to find the device by name.

Shows up as on or off in google home, but button calling from google home is not ready yet.

Has the same 200 foot range as the tile but supposedly it's meant to be not as good as the tile.

I don't find the tile good in the house as it is.

This is a wallet one, it has a solar panel charger, they don't do a waterproof tab but they have a unit you can change the battery on, I really like this, as I'll.have to bin the tile when its flat.

I'm thinking of getting 4 with a 20 percent discount it will be 80 dollars i think.

I'll get herself a couple, you can share devices on the app so you can find the others tabs. The interaction between the wallet and phone is great with either capable of locating the other.

Anyway I'm very happy so far. If anyone wants the discount code let me know by PM. Think there is some sort of reward in it if a millions people use it. At 20 each I'm happy with it.

However mine was with a kickstarter wallet. I think the credit card one i have with the button and solar charger is more expensive.

I cant remember, I think I ordered it 20 months ago, I've yet to get a kickstarter on time but this one was a joke.

Anyway I'll keep this up to date. I'll try to get the tile on assistant, I'm sure others did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Interesting....How do they work? Whats the underlying technologies? Are any of them "open" or hackable?

Edit: Oh yeah - I just reminded myself...remember reading about them before...Its basically bluetooth but location is shared across the network of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

any idea of data limit?

• Advertisement

eusap wrote: »
    any idea of data limit?

Nope , I’m going to pick one up later to stick in my daughters watch. And will ask.
    What happens if I go over my V-Sim subscription limit?
    Nothing! Our V-Sim Price Promise guarantees that you’ll never be charged more than the agreed price for your monthly subscription. If you continuously go over your limit, we’ll notify you to check that you haven’t switched your V-Sim into another device that requires a different plan.

ted1 wrote:
    Nope , I’m going to pick one up later to stick in my daughters watch. And will ask. ************* What happens if I go over my V-Sim subscription limit? Nothing! Our V-Sim Price Promise guarantees that you’ll never be charged more than the agreed price for your monthly subscription. If you continuously go over your limit, we’ll notify you to check that you haven’t switched your V-Sim into another device that requires a different plan.

What watch are you using

Stoner wrote: »
    What watch are you using

It’s just a cheap one like this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312642963072

It’s handy for the summer when she’s off on her bike etc.
    I might upgrade to a better one with a battery that last a few days.

ted1 wrote:
    It’s handy for the summer when she’s off on her bike etc. I might upgrade to a better one with a battery that last a few days.

How do you use it now if you are only getting a sim card. Is it good gir anything else

I've bought one anyway.

I like the fencing function.

Do they work on wifi.

It says voice calls work, I wonder would that work on the mobile network. They have it labelled as a tracker, I assume it has limited capabilities

What was the upgraded one you were thinking of

How do you use it now if you are only getting a sim card. Is it good gir anything else

I've bought one anyway.

I like the fencing function.

Do they work on wifi.

It says voice calls work, I wonder would that work on the mobile network. They have it labelled as a tracker, I assume it has limited capabilities

What was the upgraded one you were thinking of
    I’ve used it with a meteor sim on a free 3 months deal and have tested it with a Vodafone sim.

I’m not sure how voice will work with this sim hopefully incoming will work.

I use the app SeTracker2 with it and you can send messages voice and text. It also shows you the GPS location

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cant change the battery but has the biggest community, is the current leader in this space. There are a few versions of it. One is waterproof
    You can change the battery in the new version of the Tile Mate devices.

ted1 wrote:
    It’s just a cheap one like this

Ted,

I got that watch yesterday, yes that's how long it took lol.
    Anyway. There is a slot for a sim beside the power connector is that where you put the sim in yours or do you open the watch?

The sim slot on mine beside the charge connevtion is blanked off, solid plastic

My son is waiting for to be set up lol. He's about to learn about high expectations around budget electronics!!

Ok so you open it up to put in the sim

A very strange occurrence with this watch.

I came in from work this evening, my wife had charged up the watch.

No sim card and not on our wifi.

Young lad was messing with it and suddenly he's in a conversation with someone with a northern ireland accent asking if he needs urgent assistance.

My wife took the watch off him and
    " said no we don't sorry" and pressed the stop button.

Very strange. Can it communicate with a reserved emergency line somehow?

I wouldn't believe it if someone else posted it.
    Took it off him anyway, he'd keep triggering that.

Young lad was messing with it and suddenly he's in a conversation with someone with a northern ireland accent asking if he needs urgent assistance.

Strange. Perhaps the watch was a refurb or by default had a number set as emergency contact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

If the watch is effectively a phone, it can make emergency calls even without a sim

If the watch is effectively a phone, it can make emergency calls even without a sim

Yes it certainly can.

Not suitable for a 4 year old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Using 4 tiles for the last 3 months, they have been brilliant so far, def want more. Been trying to share them with my wife's phone recently and not sure how well thats working have to have another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Are there currently enough Tile users in Ireland to make up a broad enough smartphone network for Tile to be effective on stolen bikes?

Advertisement