Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on internal wall

• 01-11-2020 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone..we have a rather large entrance hall which is a complete waste of space..I'm toyingbwith the idea of putting up a stud wall to partition it off and create a little snug/den
    The ceiling is vaulted and I think it might look crap bringing the partition the whole way up to the ceiling. I'm thinking it might look better bringingbitbup to the 2.4 ceiling height around it.. also I'm not sure about putting a door in it and bringing the partition 3/4 the way across
    Opinions and advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Hi everyone..we have a rather large entrance hall which is a complete waste of space..I'm toyingbwith the idea of putting up a stud wall to partition it off and create a little snug/den
    The ceiling is vaulted and I think it might look crap bringing the partition the whole way up to the ceiling. I'm thinking it might look better bringingbitbup to the 2.4 ceiling height around it.. also I'm not sure about putting a door in it and bringing the partition 3/4 the way across
    Opinions and advice greatly appreciated
    Pics added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stick in a room divider to see if you will actually use it as a room, far cheaper, quicker and easier.

Even a larger IKEA bookshelf /kallax would give a good idea

GreeBo wrote: »
    Stick in a room divider to see if you will actually use it as a room, far cheaper, quicker and easier.

Even a larger IKEA bookshelf /kallax would give a good idea

Thanks for the suggestion and a very valid one it is..it was the first thing I thought too..we have talked at length about it and it would be used for sure..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Would be a real shame to block off the light with a stud wall, have you considered a glazed wall?

Either fully glazed up-to 2.4 m or solid base at the bottom, glazed at the top.

14-a-home-office-with-framed-and-glazed-walls-gets-much-light-inside-and-looks-cool.jpg

Wow Graham that's really nice ..I'd imagine with the glass quite expensive too!. Light wont be an issue as on the opposite side there is a door with two large panels each side and 2 long floor to ceiling windows..
    I like it the way it separates the space

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You could do something really nice in that space.

I've seen similar where the lower part of the glazed wall is panelled. Looks fantastic and smaller glazed panels work nicely.

531373.jpg

Graham wrote: »
    You could do something really nice in that space.

I've seen similar where the lower part of the glazed wall is panelled. Looks fantastic and smaller glazed panels work nicely.

531373.jpg

Now that is class!.. shudder at the thought of the cost though.. I hadnt considered having glass in the mix but i like it i must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Don't discount the glass idea. In the end, there is no cheap way to build a wall. When you buy two layers of plasterboard, the labour of assembling it, filling it and painting and finishing it, it is a fair amount of money. The price might not be that much different, if it's really what you want.

If you wanted something inexpensive and cool to divide the space, a thing I have seen in a gallery is just to hang sheets of coloured (could be white) acrylic on wires off the ceiling (you need to find a joist obviously).

Thanks for your input Antonio.. I'm lucky enough that I used to be in a trade (painter and decorator)so the plaster board, finish and painting part would be the easy part and would be the least expensive bit.
    The idea of hanging sheets would be cool but there are small children about so dont think would work here.. it will need a bit of investigating for sure!

Advertisement