Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hernia Injury at Work

Options
  • 11-02-2021 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have recently developed an inguinal hernia, which I believe is related to lifting objects at work. It seems to have progressed over the course of a couple of months, rather than one specific incident, and I only received a diagnosis a couple of days ago.

I need to take time to rest now and don't think I'm in fit health to work, as it's causing me some pain and discomfort. Also, with the Covid situation, and as I don't have private health insurance, I may be waiting a very long time for surgery. Going to a private facility is looking like it would cost a minimum of €3k.

I've been taking sick days hoping that my symptoms would alleviate and I could return, but it's looking like a long bout of rest is definitely necessary and I don't want to take any chances in making it worse.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should proceed? I've been researching potentially making a claim, as I didn't receive manual handling training at work and I can't afford private surgery costs, which may be necessary if the condition worsens.

It's also affecting other aspects of my life, like my ability to travel, as I don't drive and primarily cycle, but this is proving to causing some pain too. I have my driving test booked for the end of this month, so if I leave work now and therefore will not be deemed as an essential worker, would this eliminate the possibility of being able to sit the test (even though now more than ever it would be important for me to have my licence and be able to travel by car)?

Finally, if I leave my job now, would anyone know the most appropriate Social Welfare benefit to claim given the situation (Disability Allowance, Injury Benefit etc.?).

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You need to start with a medical diagnosis. Call your doctor and discuss it with them and see what they have to say.

Blaming one activity over another without evidence, is probably not going to fly in any case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    A reminder this is not AH; be helpful or don't bother to post. Multiple posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I have recently developed an inguinal hernia, which I believe is related to lifting objects at work.

Is there a paper trail or video evidence of you injuring yourself at work?

Do you do any physical activity outside of work?

I knew a person who injured themselves, similar to you, and they ended up being followed by a private investigator for a month who got photos of him doing fairly exerting gardening work. It killed his case.

Advertisement