Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A book on Irish PeaceKeeping in the Congo?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good book which covers the Irish Peacekeeping missions in the Congo during the 60's? Things I'm interested in include significant events, info on troop equipment and numbers, info on the terrain and hopefully a flavour of what life was like for the people living in these times. Also, I'd prefer fairly light reading and brevity. Ideally, a book written by one of the peacekeepers I suppose!

Can anyone recommend something? Or maybe a book with wider scope that covers this too? There really doesn't seem to be much on even amazon.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i haven't read any books about the entire role of Irish peacekeepers in the Congo but i have read "Siege At Jadotville" and "Heroes Of Jadotville" both good but "Siege At Jadotville" is the better of the two imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Orion101

Thanks for information, really useful. I'll try to get some of these books!

I found this one on amazon also, The Irish Army in the Congo 1960-1964: The Far Battalions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I remember from my Dad's bookshelf a book called "The Fighting Irish in the Congo" which was written by a Daily Indo reporter called Raymond Smith. It was probably a compilation of his dispatches from there. I remember it was illustrated with many photographs, all pretty grainy and in black and white, and covered the major incidents (Niemba, Jadotville etc).

Don't know how easy it would be to lay your hands on it now. I think it was quite well known at the time. Certainly the journalist became known as "Congo" Smith ever after. :)

Advertisement