Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A great little country!

• 04-03-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Are we really?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Most don't know any better , so to them it is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Most don't know any better , so to them it is .

Actually, in the grand scheme of things it’s the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Are we really?

Yes.

We have crime, but it's mostly petty.
    We have corruption, but it's mostly small.
    We have social issues, but by and large, the vast majority live comfortable lives.
    We have decent education, decent living standards, small levels of poverty.

Probably not the best in any one thing, but definitely high across the board.

Now if only the weather was better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There must be a reason lots of people travel through loads of other countries they could live in, just so they can live here. It's far from the worst, we don't have any really bad weather unlike most other places. No natural disasters. Some people say we could do with more sun, but I wasn't born a redhead because I live in a sunny country, so I'm not one of them!

I wouldn't mind it being a little less wet, but it does not need to get hotter. I stay inside enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Grand, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When I see dying women wasting the precious last weeks and months of their lives when they should be spending that time with their children and family’s fighting in courts against a state which is meant to protect them

I think not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I, for one, fu¢kin LOVE this little country of ours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

We need to stop the online bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I have only lived and worked in 4 countries. Germany comes close but the fact that I'm Irish and biased swings it Ireland's favour.
    Yes a brilliant country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I've lived an worked in Ireland, UK, Norway, Spain, and Australia.

It's alright. Not great.

Long term I will likely be forced to move back to the UK or further afield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

When I see dying women wasting the precious last weeks and months of their lives when they should be spending that time with their children and family’s fighting in courts against a state which is meant to protect them

I think not

I think you will find most countries suffer scandals like this at some stage. Its not nice and it shouldn't happen however what does make this country good is that we have structures in place to challenge it through our courts and get redress. Most of the world don't have this including parts of Europe

As rents continue to get insane it's going to get harder for a lot more people to justify working when they can get their rent paid for them. It's pretty sickening to have gotten to the point that I'm on a good wage and seeing I'd be pretty much as well off if I didn't bother me hole.

Only thing keeping me here is my parents are old and not in the best of health. Only for that I'd go somewhere an overnight ferry/Ryanair flight away and pay half as much as in my hometown for an apartment a couple of minutes from a nice beach and with much sunnier weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I think many who complain about Ireland are a little ignorant to how good things here are relatively speaking.

Yes of course there are many things that can be improved upon, and I don't mean we should accept some of the crap going on, but let's not pretend we don't live in a country that is safe for most, where most have a roof over their heads, most don't go hungry, most have good access to healthcare and education etc.

We've got some dark days in our not too distant past, but that era is gone. The fall out is still here for many, and I'm not trying to paper over that, but that will lessen in coming years also as I don't think new scandals of similar proportion are festering.

In Modern Ireland we don't get hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, famines, wars, civil wars, genocides, tsunamis, nuclear meltdowns, mass murders, school shooters, etc.

It's a good country to live in, even though the near constant damp and wet drives me demented.

But there will be a plethora of people on now to **** off some misery spunk about the cost of housing, homelessness, drug use, Leo Varadkar, Fianna Fáil, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

As rents continue to get insane it's going to get harder for a lot more people to justify working when they can get their rent paid for them. It's pretty sickening to have gotten to the point that I'm on a good wage and seeing I'd be pretty much as well off if I didn't bother me hole.

Only thing keeping me here is my parents are old and not in the best of health. Only for that I'd go somewhere an overnight ferry/Ryanair flight away and pay half as much as in my hometown for an apartment a couple of minutes from a nice beach and with much sunnier weather.

You're not alone, Buttonftw.. It's happening where the Brain-drain is leaving this great little country and the scroungers are arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

A country which has overcome colonisation, indentured servitude, racism, famine, poverty to become a rich country with a stable government that pushes above its weight in the eyes of the world.

However, we are in for a rude awakening with the relaxation of the regulations around asylum and letting every economic migrant chancer from a culture which has values anathema to us in. Societal Division, Ghettoisation, Suicide Bombings and more people on social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Unfortunately now that we are fully paid up member of the EU, we are in the same bracket as 'the west' and all that goes with it. We weren't always for e.g. we stayed out of WWII.

Now we are indistinguishable from any other western EU country. We have lost our uniqueness, at least politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

No earthquakes or tornados or droughts or wild-fires or snow storms or diseases, poisonous spiders, snakes or dangerous animals.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    A country which has overcome colonisation, indentured servitude, racism, famine, poverty to become a rich country with a stable government that pushes above its weight in the eyes of the world.

However, we are in for a rude awakening with the relaxation of the regulations around asylum and letting every economic migrant chancer from a culture which has values anathema to us in. Societal Division, Ghettoisation, Suicide Bombings and more people on social welfare.

Amen brother. My biggest issue with this country is that we jump head first into any ideology with **** all thought for the future consequences. We could have avoided the future racial/religious strife we will endure due to ill thought immigration, by just looking at our neighbours which were 10-15 years further into than us.

No earthquakes or tornados or droughts or wild-fires or snow storms or diseases, poisonous spiders, snakes or dangerous animals.

Yea, but constant cloud cover, very low direct sunlight, not good for health at all. I'd take the risk of snake bites thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yea, but constant cloud cover, very low direct sunlight, not good for health at all. I'd take the risk of snake bites thanks very much.
    But the rain keeps us green and makes for some of the best farmland going. And we do get more nice summers lately.

I forgot, no volcanoes.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see research into certain demographic data.
    I've been discussing it with a few people recently. If you look at the 20-40 age group what proportion are Irish and what proportion positively contribute to the country?
    There's a large cohort of low-paid immigrants (many under the table) who have basically zero power).
    Then there's the well-paid immigrant cohort who will be highly mobile.
    Then there's the never-worked cohort who will never contribute.
    What's left is a pretty small amount of people who are propping up everyone else while the older ages who are stronger in number terms of native Irish and who saw no downside to the great recession (other than kids who had to stay home another year or two). It's going to be interesting in 10-20 years to see how we can possibly keep the house of cards going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Are we really?

Yes Yes. For all its faults I wouldn’t live anywhere else.

We'll keep the clouds, you can head elsewhere with the snakes, thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's alright.
    I am a small bit concerned with where its going though.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Actually, in the grand scheme of things it’s the opposite.

As in an awful large country?
    Flyer1 wrote: »

It's alright. Not great.

Those are all amongst the world’s top countries, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If we weren't a great little country, then why do we have a problem with direct provision, when most of the world doesn't provide that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Best wee country in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Remember there was some poll Ireland topped afew years ago that Fine Geal and Edna Kenny kept harping on about like The Best Little Country In The World To Do Business or something?

We'll keep the clouds, you can head elsewhere with the snakes, thank you very much!

When I lived, and I mean lived in Turkey, the natives keep telling me to look out for the scorpions. I never saw one much less one bite me the whole time I was there over a couple of years.

So this talk of snakes and big insects in warmer climates is hugely overstated imo, thank you very much :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unfortunately now that we are fully paid up member of the EU, we are in the same bracket as 'the west' and all that goes with it. We weren't always for e.g. we stayed out of WWII.

Now we are indistinguishable from any other western EU country. We have lost our uniqueness, at least politically.
    Andorra, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Turkey also kept out of WWII

The list of European countries that kept out until they were actually invaded is even longer. Albania, Belgium, Estonia, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Monaco, San Marino and The Vatican.

And that's without going near Eastern Europe, between the threats from the Nazis AND the Soviets AND the neighbours, the dictatorships , the Western Betrayal, land grabbing , regime changes, switching sides - let's just say IT'S COMPLICATED
    eg. Hungry, further from the sea than Dublin is to the Atlantic Ocean was ruled by an admiral.

Like Austria we are Neutral in the EU.
    And we're on the UN Security Council.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just you make sure you have a dry twig down your wellies at night in case a badger attacks :eek:

When I lived, and I mean lived in Turkey, the natives keep telling me to look out for the scorpions. I never saw one much less one bite me the whole time I was there over a couple of years.

So this talk of snakes and big insects in warmer climates is hugely overstated imo, thank you very much :P

One is more than enough! Granted, some places aren't so bad. I was in Florida and the worst I saw were geckos, and they're cool little feckers, so no probs there. But there are other countries where everything, including the water and the air, want to kill you; Australia. I will never set foot in that country. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You're not alone, Buttonftw.. It's happening where the Brain-drain is leaving this great little country and the scroungers are arriving.

Eh? Ireland had a huge brain drain in the past because there was f all opportunity here - we were an agrarian culture and an eu backwater. Now we have huge multi nationals coming here, significant irish success stories, lots of highly skilled people both irish and non irish.

Irish people have a huge opportunity in almost any highly skilled sector that they want to succeed in. "Brain drain" is a nice soundbite but definitely not a reality in ireland. Talk to he likes of Romania/moldova/latvia/lithuania about "brain drain" if you are interested in the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

beerguts wrote: »
    Amen brother. My biggest issue with this country is that we jump head first into any ideology with **** all thought for the future consequences. We could have avoided the future racial/religious strife we will endure due to ill thought immigration, by just looking at our neighbours which were 10-15 years further into than us.

Yeah, its all a bit depressing. We have only been a first world country for maybe 30 years yet there is a sub-section of society (mostly middle class people who will be unaffected by any mass migration in the leafy suburbs) who are pushing for this due to some weird self-loathing thing.

Immigration is great but it has to be well-skilled people who will at least try to integrate. We could fill any skills gap with the many unemployed within the EU or even the high skilled east Asians who generally do not cause trouble.

But for some weird reason, we have to bring in those of a certain background who will not integrate and who are overrespresented in unemployment and crime statistics.

Also as a sidenote, I think its weird that Nigerians were actively complict in the Atlantic Slave trade while we were indentured servants in the sugar plantations of Barbados and yet those of a Nigerian background in this country are very quick to call racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Nigeria
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_servitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Also as a sidenote, I think its weird that Nigerians were actively complict in the Atlantic Slave trade while we were indentured servants in the sugar plantations of Barbados and yet those of a Nigerian background in this country are very quick to call racism.

"Ireland hid and protected paedophiles yet those of an Irish background are very quick to call out child abuse"

What a stupid argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Are we really?

I'd probably say yes but that's more a criticism of other nations as opposed to a salute to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Compared to many parts of the world we are extremely f*cking lucky to live where we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Ireland is my home and I love it. That doesn't mean it is free from problems and its share of horrors. I do fear for its future somewhat but I have hope.
    There is plenty to improve so we should try our best to do that.
    "Don't burn the flag; wash it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Y

Now if only the weather was better..

A positive about the weather is so you can appreciate the good days more.

what was Barbados like?

Its one place I would really like to visit, can you recommend any good places to stay or things to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cienciano wrote: »
    A positive about the weather is so you can appreciate the good days more.

Or do what they did in Waterford and stick a roof on the place

Apple-Market-2-.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah, its all a bit depressing. We have only been a first world country for maybe 30 years yet there is a sub-section of society (mostly middle class people who will be unaffected by any mass migration in the leafy suburbs) who are pushing for this due to some weird self-loathing thing.

Immigration is great but it has to be well-skilled people who will at least try to integrate. We could fill any skills gap with the many unemployed within the EU or even the high skilled east Asians who generally do not cause trouble.

But for some weird reason, we have to bring in those of a certain background who will not integrate and who are overrespresented in unemployment and crime statistics.

I genuinely don't think you have been to third world country if you think Ireland was a third world country before 30 years ago.

Whilst Ireland's economy lagged behind other countries in the then First World, it was still a wealthy, successful and functioning country and poverty levels were nowhere near what you would see now in developing nations (That's what they're called now as 2nd and 3rd world no longer exists).

I also really don't like your unfounded claims of certain groups of immigrants who do not integrate, get involved with crime and cause problems.

Can you back this up with any evidence?

Irish prisons contain mostly Irish prisoners. Anytime you hear of gangland incidents it's always Irish people involved.

The vast majority of immigrants come here to work and contribute. The vast majority of asylum seekers are here to make a better life for themselves that was not possible in their home country due to wars etc.

Your example of Nigerians calling out racism is pathetic. If they experience racism (which I'm sure they have) then what they hell has that got to do with something that happened hundreds of years ago.
    Do you not think that some Irish people were not involved with exporting of food from Ireland during the famine? Or Irish people did not evict tenents from farmholds during the land wars?

Really, your post about immigrants is just a sweeping generalisation fuelled by ignorance and hate.

• Fantastic country however the lack of ambition given the opportunities astounds me.

But It's criminal how we are shooting ourselves in the foot pandering to nimbyist politics. Dublin should be a Singapore of Europe if we just ploughed on with what needs to be done and build it into a world class city.

A couple get an article in the Independent because apartments are blocking their view of the sun. Metro North put on the back burner because NA Fiannas pitches are temporarily out of action.

The council rejecting applications for high rise buildings.

This is only serving to damage the country and FDI long term.

Would you ever **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The grass is always greener on the other side.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The vast majority of immigrants come here to work and contribute. The vast majority of asylum seekers are here to make a better life for themselves that was not possible in their home country due to wars etc.

Maybe but if future conflict is to be avoided then we need to either get better at integrating or better at controlling borders.
    Do you not think that some Irish people were not involved with exporting of food from Ireland during the famine? Or Irish people did not evict tenents from farmholds during the land wars?

Sounds like victim blaming to me. Not sure of the point either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Crippling taxes, questionable policy making, and sh!te weather. Thats all I got. Other than that - it IS a great country.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think you have been to third world country if you think Ireland was a third world country before 30 years ago.

Whilst Ireland's economy lagged behind other countries in the then First World, it was still a wealthy, successful and functioning country and poverty levels were nowhere near what you would see now in developing nations (That's what they're called now as 2nd and 3rd world no longer exists).

I also really don't like your unfounded claims of certain groups of immigrants who do not integrate, get involved with crime and cause problems.

Can you back this up with any evidence?

Irish prisons contain mostly Irish prisoners. Anytime you hear of gangland incidents it's always Irish people involved.

Your example of Nigerians calling out racism is pathetic. If they experience racism (which I'm sure they have) then what they hell has that got to do with something that happened hundreds of years ago.

Really, your post about immigrants is just a sweeping generalisation fuelled by ignorance and hate.

It's a bit of a stretch to say there is no evidence. Black Africans have high level of unemployment and are quite insular as a group. I do think that it can be broken down further as it seems to be specifically west Africans that are more difficult to integrate.
    Don't just label these views you find uncomfortable as derived from a position of ignorance or hate, I like many others have well founded fears that we are building up social problems that will be expensive to solve. If we can avoid that by having a restrictive immigration policy that would be good. You could also argue that it would help eliminate anti immigrant views as anyone who successfully completed a stricter process would be shown to be a good fit for our society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The grass is always greener on the other side.

It's generally greener in Ireland because of our climate. And I'd choose our relatively stable and predictable weather over that of almost any other country.

Those who moan about Ireland being shite need to look closer to home. When you're unhappy, you tend to view everything with the opposite of rose-tinted glasses (shite-tinted glasses, maybe). That's not to say things couldn't be a lot better, but we're never all going to agree on what 'better' actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Flyer1 wrote: »

It's alright. Not great.

can you rank the above countries based on your own experience please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Maybe but if future conflict is to be avoided then we need to either get better at integrating or better at controlling borders.

That's normal with immigrant groups. They stick to their culture and language. Just like the Irish did in the US and UK when emigration was huge here.

Either way, our borders are not out of control and we do not have too many foreigners coming in despite what people on the internet say and we're in full control of our borders.

Sounds like victim blaming to me. Not sure of the point either.

No it's not victim blaming, The the other poster said Nigerians were involved in the slave trade over 200 years ago and I'm just pointing out that things like that happen throughout history.

• Advertisement
Advertisement