Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer won't fix name error on contract?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Thanks for the help everyone. I emailed HR and she said it definitely should be changed. It'll be a while before my log-in and everything get sorted as it has to be flagged with IT. I'm glad they had a different attitude to the recruitment department though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Watch your TLA's.

Thrust Lever Angles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

You can't change your name, you can change the name by which you habitually call yourself and by which you are known. Bartholomew Patrick Ahern also known as Bertie Ahern.
    Strange that the Depts of Foreign Affairs and Transport haven't gotten that memo.
    They will quite happily issue official ID in a name not found on any birth cert or deed poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s more than a little offensive not to bother correcting a misspelling of someone’s name. I’d guess it will carry over into email address etc.

I’d want it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I got sent my contract and other paperwork today. On every piece of paper my name is incorrect. I sent the recruitment team a quick email to point out the error to them. They got back to me and told me that it is not super important and won't cause any problems to leave it as it is on their system.
    I emailed HR and she said it definitely should be changed.

Good for you for sorting it out.

I think the recruiter is technically correct - as long as you sign the contract, it would be hard for you to argue you didn't think the contract was for you - but it's still weird and should be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

wench wrote: »
    Strange that the Depts of Foreign Affairs and Transport haven't gotten that memo.
    They will quite happily issue official ID in a name not found on any birth cert or deed poll.

Just because some government departments have weak procedures doesn't mean that someone's name has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Just because some government departments have weak procedures doesn't mean that someone's name has changed.
    It isn't weak procedure, it's policy. Once you've used a name for 2 years, that is your name.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/62a4e7-public-service-identity/

If every govt dept, family, friends, employer etc, accept the new name, then your name has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

You can't change your name, you can change the name by which you habitually call yourself and by which you are known. Bartholomew Patrick Ahern also known as Bertie Ahern.

I never used the name on my birth certificate. So I didn't need to change it.

Do I exist ??

Advertisement