Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swing Top Bottles question

Options
  • 04-07-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I am going to start brewing as a hobby. I was hoping to start off with some beer and cider kits and see where it goes from there.

After doing some reading I think that 500ml swing top bottles (amber) would be a good choice of bottle for me. I am sure that most of you realize supplies are scarce at the moment due to the impact of Covid19 and most of the homebrew shops are either sold out or overpriced.

I have found the bottles at a really good price and with reasonable DPD delivery charge from here.

https://www.world-of-bottles.co.uk/Glass-bottles/Glass-bottles/500ml-glass-bottles/500ml-brown-beer-bottle-master-brewer.html

Has anybody on here used this company before? If so, are they reliable?

Also, are these bottles similar quality to the ones sold in the homebrew shops? They look the exact same but buying online you can just never be sure so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

RasTa wrote: »

Thanks for your reply RasTa but that option seems to be more expensive than the link that I posted.

For 30 bottles from World of Bottles it would cost 38.20 euros (shipping included).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply RasTa but that option seems to be more expensive than the link that I posted.

For 30 bottles from World of Bottles it would cost 38.20 euros (shipping included).

They seem fine to me. Because of the swing top, they're never going to become as prone to being bottle bombs as capped bottles, so they should be grand. Try and get them to throw in some extra / spare washers as they're likely to be the weakest link.

Did you consider Cooper's PET bottles at all?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    They seem fine to me. Because of the swing top, they're never going to become as prone to being bottle bombs as capped bottles, so they should be grand. Try and get them to throw in some extra / spare washers as they're likely to be the weakest link.

Did you consider Cooper's PET bottles at all?

Hi Tom. I am planning to do this over the long term and so the idea of using and re-using glass bottles just appeals to me. So for this reason I am looking at it as a once off purchase or an initial expense.

I have never really liked the idea of beer in plastic bottles even though I always pour it into a glass anyway.

Good shout with the extra / spare washers. They are cheap as chips but it is something that I hadn't considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The other option is just buying commercial beer in those bottles like flensberger.

I would put my money on the flensberger being better quality bottles than some random supplier. I have heard of the brown peeling off some bottles.

https://martinsofflicence.ie/products/flensburger-weizen

There might be an online store selling commercial beer in swingtops if you risked getting stung for VAT it could be a good price.

I would stick with brown bottles rather than the obvious grolsch. Some of the groslch is only 450ml now.

Some craft beer but might have empties they want rid of, but I expect many would know brewers who want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've been using old Grolsch bottles. Only done about ten brews in em but no issues with washers or cracks etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I already placed an order for the bottles in the link above this morning.

I have never heard of brown peeling off bottles before, I always thought that the glass was colored brown. At least I hope that will be the case with these ones.

Hopefully they will work out OK.

I’d stick with normal caps. I’m only after dumping 40 swing tops myself last week as they’re very iffy with seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Did you replace the rubber seals?

• Advertisement

Did you replace the rubber seals?

I ended up getting more with new seals and use them now.

Advertisement