Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TurboCider next steps

Options
  • 26-05-2020 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

As a newbie, I started off trying to make TurboCider to see how it goes. Made 2 batches so far and have 2 more to do. All are stored in dark hot press, temp varying betwwen 20-22 degrees

Still not sure about OG's, they seemed a bit off but here we go. :pac:

Batch A ---->18-5-2020

Aldi Apple juice
    2.5g Youngs yeast
    100g granulated brown sugar
    100g granulated white sugar
    flat tspoon pectolase
    1 cup of earl grey tea

brewA.png

Batch B ---->18-5-2020

Aldi Apple juice
    2.5g SAFCIDER Yeast
    100g granulated white sugar
    flat tspoon pectolase

brewB.png

8 days in and batch A seems to be fermenting away, one bubble every 5 secs, Batch B seems to have stalled. So at this stage should I take a sample from Batch B for testing with the hydrometer or will I just wait it out. I have plenty of plastic soda bottles, should I consider transferring soon with some sugar for carbonation. Any tips/pointers appreciated before I start on the next 2 batches

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I would say just leave it alone. Airlocks don't really tell you anything useful. Give it the full two weeks then take another reading. Remember to calibrate your readings for temperature if you aren't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I don't see a mention of yeast nutrient in your list of ingredients. Did you use some?

Some lads always use nutrient. Some don't. I always do in a cider as the apples can be lacking in nitrogen. I use raisins and or sultanas in the cider to beef up the nutrient levels.

Your OG numbers seem off alright. You used more sugar in A, but your OG in B is higher? If B goes to 1.000 you're gonna have a very high ABV, very dry jungle juice.

I'd be inclined to *safely* extract a taste sample ftom B. If it's not too sweet for your taste, test the F.G. and compute ABV. If you're happy, stabilise it to stop further yeast growth and bottle it. If it's still too sweet, add some raisins and check back in a fee days.

For your next batches try:

Use yeast nutrient (a handful of raisins or mixed fruit from LIDL in the must will help add a lovely flavour as well as nutrient)

Ferment at a lower temperature (15-18 C ambient max) IMHO your hot press is too warm for cider.

Aim for an OG closer to 1.05-1.06. 1.07-1.08 will lead to a very high alcohol cider if it goes to 1.000 FG.
    That's OK if you're after jungle juice, but it will need much more time to smooth out.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    For your next batches try:

Use yeast nutrient (a handful of raisins or mixed fruit from LIDL in the must will help add a lovely flavour as well as nutrient)

Ferment at a lower temperature (15-18 C ambient max) IMHO your hot press is too warm for cider.

Aim for an OG closer to 1.05-1.06. 1.07-1.08 will lead to a very high alcohol cider if it goes to 1.000 FG.
    That's OK if you're after jungle juice, but it will need much more time to smooth out.

thanks - will try a new batch today with the nutrient, deffo not looking for rocket fuel. Looking for more taste and flavour.

Try a batch with no sugar at all. You ought to get a must that will produce 4-6% ABV from straight apple juice. If you start out at an O.G. of 1.05 and end up at 1.015, you'll have a nice, medium sweet product at 4.5% ABV. This is the same ABV as Bulmers/Magners. Go down to 1.010 to get 5 ish % medium dry and to 1.005 for a 6% dry product.

If you want flavour, you really need to at least start out at a lower temp. Try for 15 during the first (lag) phase while the yeast is actively growing and before it starts making alcohol. Make sure the must is very well oxygenated before pitching the yeast.

• Advertisement

Took a reading from Batch B - 1.025 approx

IMG-20200529-103945.jpg

Giving an ABV of just over 7% - sharp and bitter enough to taste. Might just bottle some up and see how it goes. Would adding more sugar to carbonate it just keep adding to the ABV at this stage?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Would adding more sugar to carbonate it just keep adding to the ABV at this stage?
    It will add a little but not much.

At an S.G. of 1.025, there's still a lot of sugar in there. Assuming it's fermentable, you run the risk of creating 'bottle bombs', particularly as weather conditions into the 20s are promised. For sure, make sure the bottles are stored in as cool conditions as possible and well away from yer favourite shirts, carpets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if the yeast couldn't eat the remaining sugar in the demijohn, it probably won't be able to carbonate in the bottle either. Though Young's cider yeast is supposed to be good up to 15% so I'd also be concerned about bottle bombs. Under normal circumstances, that cider should go to 1.000 or lower.

I have left them sit now for another week in a cooler spot - will check both gravity's at the weekend to see how they look :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement