Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuck with Instant Coffee for now. What are my options?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It was my understanding that you had to get a very expensive electric grinder to compete with the consistency of grind from a hand grinder.

It's not something I have any knowledge of, does anyone have more info?

The grind is good. But it just takes too long a time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I went through all this debate with myself a few weeks ago when the lockdown started. I had a large French press and it's still my go to method as I like a huge mug of coffee in the morning (about 600 ml).

I got a V60 as an alternative as I have time on my hands. Makes great coffee but it's intricate.

Got a grinder from Amazon and have been ordering beans from Badger & Dodo in Cork. They deliver next day pretty much.

I never drank instant, usually used Lavazza ground coffee, but the difference in taste when you grind your own is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

JoChervil wrote: »
    OP, you sound like a coffee lover. So I would go for Aeropress. It gives the best taste. French press is like brewing coffee in a cup. I actually hate this taste. And any coffee capsules are rubbish, you won't get this real espresso taste from them.

Because you use additional pressure to filter your coffee in Aeropress, so you will squeeze all the taste from it.

I use it for two people, so if you want it for guests just buy two. I use two filters with it metal plus a paper one.

But all this is to brew espresso shots. If you want to make Cappuccino or Latte, you have to have a milk frother: electric (using steam or a spinning part) or manual (it looks like a French press).

And if I have to drink instant coffee, so I like Azera Americano the most.

I prefer a regular coffee which is referred to as an Americano in Coffee shops. A Cappuccino is nice but I find they go cold quickly. A Frother might be a good idea though for variety especially if guests call.

Altogether a Grinder, Aeropress, French Press and V60 would come to around €100 which is great value considering the cost of Espresso Machines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This is intriguing!!
    Azerra drinker here too, if I must.Badly missing a good daily coffee.
    I am an absolute novice but where do moka pots
    fit into all of this.??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

shesty wrote: »
    This is intriguing!!
    fit into all of this.??

Moka pots give tasty coffee, yet I prefer Aeropress. First the old ones are usually made of aluminium, so not very healthy. The second it uses steam to brew the coffee. And this is what made me choose Aeropress in the first place. Coffee is the best made in a temperature lower than 100°, while steam has temperature higher than this.

But I used moka pots and was quite happy with them. But practically you can use them only with gas because of its diameter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

shesty wrote: »
    This is intriguing!!
    fit into all of this.??

You will get more flavour from a Moka pot than French Press, they are pretty good, but an Espresso machine is the only way to go imo, French Press and Aeropress don't do anything for me, you don't get that rich taste that I crave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

You will get more flavour from a Moka pot than French Press, they are pretty good, but an Espresso machine is the only way to go imo, French Press and Aeropress don't do anything for me, you don't get that rich taste that I crave.

And if someone didn't have them money for a good espresso machine would you recommend Azera instant coffee over an aeropress or french press?

lawred2 wrote: »
    The grind is good. But it just takes too long a time to do it.

How long does it take. If you were to grind a large amount in one go to last for the day would it lose a lot of favour.
    I went through all this debate with myself a few weeks ago when the lockdown started. I had a large French press and it's still my go to method as I like a huge mug of coffee in the morning (about 600 ml).

I got a V60 as an alternative as I have time on my hands. Makes great coffee but it's intricate.

Got a grinder from Amazon and have been ordering beans from Badger & Dodo in Cork. They deliver next day pretty much.

I never drank instant, usually used Lavazza ground coffee, but the difference in taste when you grind your own is huge.

I cant figure out why the V60 is complicated, it looks the simplest method to me. Do you not just add the ground coffee onto the filter and then pour over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Douwe Egberts pure indulgence or even the pure gold is my instant of choice when I need to get a decent fix away from civilisation. I do find with instants I get taste fatigue quite quickly so have a couple of different brands/blends to keep the taste buds in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

My wife and I only drink americanos, any budget bean to cup options that don't have those milk wands etc

• Advertisement

How long does it take. If you were to grind a large amount in one go to last for the day would it lose a lot of favour.

It takes me about 15 mins to hand grind 150 grams of coffee.

Once ground I find it tastes best for at least a week or even after two it's still ok.
    You should keep the unground coffee beans in an airtight container that does not let in light. A mason jar in a dark place is what I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I cant figure out why the V60 is complicated, it looks the simplest method to me. Do you not just add the ground coffee onto the filter and then pour over it.

I said intricate, not complicated. You have to pour very slowly and evenly to get it right.

It takes me about 15 mins to hand grind 150 grams of coffee.

Once ground I find it tastes best for at least a week or even after two it's still ok.
    You should keep the unground coffee beans in an airtight container that does not let in light. A mason jar in a dark place is what I use.

Thanks for the tip
    I said intricate, not complicated. You have to pour very slowly and evenly to get it right.

Apologies, so a lot of effort can be wasted if the water is poured carelessly.

Ive been reading about Automatic Drip machines that also grind coffee. Has anyone tried them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

to the OP - we're on lock-down, isolation, cocooning.
    WHY would you want to punish yourself and drink coffee flavoured dishwater? :D:D

as many posts said, plenty of options and the easier ones are available in many supermarkets.

But instant? - Nope.

silver2020 wrote: »
    to the OP - we're on lock-down, isolation, cocooning.
    WHY would you want to punish yourself and drink coffee flavoured dishwater? :D:D

as many posts said, plenty of options and the easier ones are available in many supermarkets.

But instant? - Nope.

Do you mean there is good quality ground coffee in supermarkets? If so can you recommend some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

And if someone didn't have them money for a good espresso machine would you recommend Azera instant coffee over an aeropress or french press?

No, instant coffee is dreadful anything is better including French Press, they are a tenner or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nigra

Bearing in mind a person's taste in coffee is fairly subjective, and instant isn't a good starting point... I find ALDI's Alcafe Gold Roast instant coffee is surprisingly good.

My other half who is a real coffee afficianado grudgingly agrees too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

zweton wrote: »
    Sounds good, this is all new to me. By any chance is it possible to make a latte from an aeropress? I know theres no wand obviously but as an aside or something. I have an aeropress from years ago.

It might be worth your while watching James Hoffman's latest video:
    https://youtu.be/ZgIVfU0xBjA

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

I see 3fe just launched an instant coffee today. wonder what it is like.

bergipau wrote: »

I'm intrigued by this... Does it not fly in the face of fresh coffee brewed in controlled fashion... Do any other small scale roasters do anything similar around the world? Looking forward to hearing people's reviews of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by this... Does it not fly in the face of fresh coffee brewed in controlled fashion... Do any other small scale roasters do anything similar around the world? Looking forward to hearing people's reviews of it.

The Barn do it, as well as that crowd Voila.

3fe marketing angle seems to be "Brew In Case Of Emergencies"

So only as a last resort if you need caffeine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

some people don't have facilities for brewing at home

this seems a good idea for people like that but the cost is fairly prohibitive imo

5 sachets for €15

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

some people don't have facilities for brewing at home

this seems a good idea for people like that but the cost is fairly prohibitive imo

5 sachets for €15

Surely an aeropress and a hand grinder would be a much more cost effective/sustainable alternative though for anyone stuck for space or facilities?

At 3 quid a cup, I can't imagine anyone using them regularly, the only thing I could think of as a use for them is if you were at a conference or something like that and there was no other cafes around, or if you were travelling and didn't want to carry an aeropress and grinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

bergipau wrote: »

They're not the first to do it, but it's a great step towards a potential viable option. They're all this expensive though, the process is intensive if not done at a mass scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

God that's a crazy price! I mean you could get a cafe, or petrol station take out for that price, or not much more. Plus chances are if you have access to a mug and kettle etc. you probably can store an aeropress or whatever too. Would be interested to hear how people find it!

I do drink a bit of instant occasionally - it's not like it's undrinkable, though nowhere close to "proper" coffee. I have often been at conferences/training events and the like with worst "filter" coffee in those large flasks that have been sitting there for hours. I'd take a decent fresh made instant over that stuff sometimes tbh. That's the best use case for the 3Fe sachets as squidgy black pointed out (really, what is it about conference coffee being terrible? :eek::eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Sorry to resurrect this thread but being reading this and over the forum and looking for a last bit of advice before buying.

I drink 3/4 cups of instant coffee daily. Its the Nescafe Azera Intenso which I must say is 10 times better than other instant coffee but its time to upgrade. I'm obviously no connoisseur - nicest coffee in my town serves Java Republic stuff I think.

I'm not against spending say up to €400/€500 to get myself set up as I can see the long term value in doing it right but still am a little tentative. My sister is advocating Nespresso which I'm not massively keen on - I've always had mixed feelings about ones I've been served in other peoples houses but I know there are many different brands/flavours so I'm not completely ruling it out. My parents have a De Longhi bean to cup which I know is very very popular but for whatever reason I don't particularly love the coffee it produces - again I know it could be the beans,water or many other things effecting the quality so maybe I should go have a play with it and see could it have potential for me.

From reading this thread I think an Aeropress and grinder might be best for me. And then I could get a french press when I need to make multiple cups at one time?

My main question is about grinders; I know from reading the forum it needs to be a burr one but will a €40 best seller off amazon do a good job? I've seen the Krups Expert mentioned - seems about €50/60 or there's the Sage Pro Smart Grinder which has come up a lot at around €200-250 (although there was a link to one here for an offer of £129 which may become available again). Which one of these should I be looking at it?

Any other general advice for my coffee situation?!

I've been advised to spend as much as possible on your Grinder. I have a Sage Smart Grinder and it's great... It does produce popcorn clumps sometimes and allot of people would recommend to spend more... I'm perfectly happy, but it's probably considered the best of what is considered a budget range. I wouldn't personally go much cheaper than that.

If I had €500 to spend, I'd be looking for an espresso machine with grinder, which is exactly what I did recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Sorry to resurrect this thread but being reading this and over the forum and looking for a last bit of advice before buying.

I drink 3/4 cups of instant coffee daily. Its the Nescafe Azera Intenso which I must say is 10 times better than other instant coffee but its time to upgrade. I'm obviously no connoisseur - nicest coffee in my town serves Java Republic stuff I think.

I'm not against spending say up to €400/€500 to get myself set up as I can see the long term value in doing it right but still am a little tentative. My sister is advocating Nespresso which I'm not massively keen on - I've always had mixed feelings about ones I've been served in other peoples houses but I know there are many different brands/flavours so I'm not completely ruling it out. My parents have a De Longhi bean to cup which I know is very very popular but for whatever reason I don't particularly love the coffee it produces - again I know it could be the beans,water or many other things effecting the quality so maybe I should go have a play with it and see could it have potential for me.

From reading this thread I think an Aeropress and grinder might be best for me. And then I could get a french press when I need to make multiple cups at one time?

My main question is about grinders; I know from reading the forum it needs to be a burr one but will a €40 best seller off amazon do a good job? I've seen the Krups Expert mentioned - seems about €50/60 or there's the Sage Pro Smart Grinder which has come up a lot at around €200-250 (although there was a link to one here for an offer of £129 which may become available again). Which one of these should I be looking at it?

Any other general advice for my coffee situation?!

I would go pour over, something like a V60 from Hario or a similar brand. Cheap and makes the best filtered coffee in my experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement